Nilsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Hes got a long road to even making the NHL let alone 70 pts. He was odviously drafted for his name. Another sound move by Milbury

AgentNaslund*

Game breaking offensive player. He has Peter Forsbergs play making skills, other then that, hes struggling big time in the SEL at a mens level. Parice over him for sure.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
jcorb58 said:
Hes got a long road to even making the NHL let alone 70 pts. He was odviously drafted for his name. Another sound move by Milbury

2 of the isles better beat reporters(Grossman/Hahn), have indicated the isles want to bring him over to the ahl.Milbury's quoted on the team's website a few weeks ago,saying he wants Nilsson over in NA sooner rather then later.

and 'this is he a bust or isn't he' question, reminds me that for the past 2 yrs we've had fans and even some of the press calling nyi prospects Raffi Torres and Rick DiPietro busts,while the isles front office kept saying they just needed time.In Torres case,Hahn reported the isles front office saying his offense was about 1 yr behind the rest of his game,but that it would come around.DiPietro need to grow up and work on his developing his game.

an ESPN predraft scouting report on Nilsson, warned it'd be a rollercoaster ride because Nilsson needed to grow up.

as for Nilsson being drafted for his name..that's nonsense.isles have passed on the sons of former players Nystrom and Parise.

Sammy*

IMO, from the games I saw at the WJC, he was absolutly horrid.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
His dad is probably one of the most talented people to ever play the sport. Nilsson has the talent to get 70 points(Maybe even more), but like I say so often the kid is a HIT OR MISS.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
If he was drafted too high because of a name, it wasnt "Nilsson", it was "Forsberg". The label "Peter Forsbeg" clone got too many people here hot in the pants. I remember a mock draft that year that had him go as the #1 overall pick.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
MojoJojo said:
If he was drafted too high because of a name, it wasnt "Nilsson", it was "Forsberg". The label "Peter Forsbeg" clone got too many people here hot in the pants. I remember a mock draft that year that had him go as the #1 overall pick.

I don't remember anyone comparing him to Forsberg. He plays nothing like Forsberg. He's a perimeter player with good vision and good passing skills, not a hard nosed forward who can work the corners. He's not strong on the puck.

Anyone comparing him to Forsberg is way off base. Maybe they were comparing point totals because Nilsson did get more points in his 17 year old SEL season than Forsberg or Naslund. That's as close as it gets.

Also while I agree he didn't show a whole lot and played a bit lazy at the world juniors, his skill alone earned him the Tissot award for being one of the top three players on his team, so calling him horrid is an exagerration.

AgentNaslund*

Don_Cherry said:
I don't remember anyone comparing him to Forsberg. He plays nothing like Forsberg. He's a perimeter player with good vision and good passing skills, not a hard nosed forward who can work the corners. He's not strong on the puck.

Anyone comparing him to Forsberg is way off base. Maybe they were comparing point totals because Nilsson did get more points in his 17 year old SEL season than Forsberg or Naslund. That's as close as it gets.

Also while I agree he didn't show a whole lot and played a bit lazy at the world juniors, his skill alone earned him the Tissot award for being one of the top three players on his team, so calling him horrid is an exagerration.

He was compared to Peter Forsberg. Not the next comming of Pter forsberg, but his playmaking and offensive skills is kinda like Forsbergs, scouting reports Including Hockeys future kinda compared him to Forsbergs game. Infact, it might even say it now.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
CREW99AW said:
2 of the isles better beat reporters(Grossman/Hahn), have indicated the isles want to bring him over to the ahl.Milbury's quoted on the team's website a few weeks ago,saying he wants Nilsson over in NA sooner rather then later.

and 'this is he a bust or isn't he' question, reminds me that for the past 2 yrs we've had fans and even some of the press calling nyi prospects Raffi Torres and Rick DiPietro busts,while the isles front office kept saying they just needed time.In Torres case,Hahn reported the isles front office saying his offense was about 1 yr behind the rest of his game,but that it would come around.DiPietro need to grow up and work on his developing his game.

an ESPN predraft scouting report on Nilsson, warned it'd be a rollercoaster ride because Nilsson needed to grow up.

as for Nilsson being drafted for his name..that's nonsense.isles have passed on the sons of former players Nystrom and Parise.
Im not saying that he would not of been drafted i just think he might of slipped a few spots. He didnt really impress me in the WJs. Didnt look like he wanted to pay the price. He will face an up hill climb to be NHL ready unfortunately his name may make him a bigger target. I would like to see him in the AHL asap. He does have skills but needs more desire.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think that even the people that don't like him will admit that he is loaded with puck skills. IMO his sense has to be a little better. Even if he does get a sense for what he has to do with the puck at a later stage, I think that if it didn't come naturally to him by now his star might not shine as bright as people thought on draft day. If I had to predict, I would say that he'll be a little like Mike Nylander (little bit different style). He'll be a very good player but never great. Like Nylander you'll see him make a great play once in a while and wonder why he can't do that all of the time.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
jcorb58 said:
Im not saying that he would not of been drafted i just think he might of slipped a few spots. He didnt really impress me in the WJs. Didnt look like he wanted to pay the price. He will face an up hill climb to be NHL ready unfortunately his name may make him a bigger target. I would like to see him in the AHL asap. He does have skills but needs more desire.

I think the isles went heavily on Anders kallur's opinion in drafting Nilsson.
I don't see his name making him a bigger target,it's not like many of the current players also played against his dad.

He's been to a couple of nyi prospect camps and his offensive skills impressed them.Isles have some good,defensively responsible 2-way prospects, but they don't have another kid with Nilsson's offensive talent, which is why he'll be a priority in Bridgeport,getting a lot of icetime in all situations.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Jason MacIsaac said:
Not against better teams. He got most of his points in useless games.

He failed to record a point against Canada, if that's what you're meaning. Because he had points against Finland (both games), Slovakia and the US.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
#66 said:
I think that even the people that don't like him will admit that he is loaded with puck skills. IMO his sense has to be a little better. Even if he does get a sense for what he has to do with the puck at a later stage, I think that if it didn't come naturally to him by now his star might not shine as bright as people thought on draft day. If I had to predict, I would say that he'll be a little like Mike Nylander (little bit different style). He'll be a very good player but never great. Like Nylander you'll see him make a great play once in a while and wonder why he can't do that all of the time.

The problem with Nylander was always that he didnt shoot the puck or held onto for too long...Nylander plays a solid game night in and night out, atleast he did for the capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad