OT: Nikolay Kulemin

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
Just wanted to know what everyone’s thoughts on him was when he was a Leaf. Noticed he’s still playing in the KHL. How come he wasn’t able to put up a 25-30 goal season again?

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Just wanted to know what everyone’s thoughts on him was when he was a Leaf. Noticed he’s still playing in the KHL. How come he wasn’t able to put up a 25-30 goal season again?
The one time he scored 30 goals, he did it at a 17% clip, which is highly unsustainable. Also, he had very good chemistry with grabovski and macarthur, but once that season was done, he was unable to replicate that success. Then carlyle came along and i believe relegated the kgm line to more defensive responsibilities to the benefit and development of kadri. More defensive zone starts as well. The kgm line got mad, grabovski got bought out while kulemin and macarthur moved to different teams and kulemin was never used in a pure offensive role again.

Reactions: mclaren55

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
I was pretty excited about him coming to the leafs after scoring 27 and 21 goal seasons in the KHL (Russian Super League back then) before arriving to Toronto. He was a hard worker with a good two way game. Also remember he won the fastest skater at the leafs skills competition that one year.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm hoping Ilya Mikheyev can catch lightning in a bottle one of these years and have an unsustainably great year like Kulemin did in 2010-11. He's not quite the tank that Kulemin was on his feet, but has the unexpectedly great wheels. They also both have that googly eyed expression which always makes me laugh.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The one time he scored 30 goals, he did it at a 17% clip, which is highly unsustainable. Also, he had very good chemistry with grabovski and macarthur, but once that season was done, he was unable to replicate that success. Then carlyle came along and i believe relegated the kgm line to more defensive responsibilities to the benefit and development of kadri. More defensive zone starts as well. The kgm line got mad, grabovski got bought out while kulemin and macarthur moved to different teams and kulemin was never used in a pure offensive role again.

Kulemin-Kadri-Lupul line was also magical whenever Lupul was healthy enough to play :laugh:

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I definitely enjoyed watching him play, he was no Gretzky or Tucker but there was some heart there.

Think he assisted on the *Grabovski used headbutt, it was super effective* goal, but i may be mistaken.

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
Had a magical season with us bringing all our hopes high, but then all went downhill after the lose of his buddy in the plane crash.
Same with Mikheyev and then Simmonds after their injuries.
Some sort of Bermuda triangle thing with Leafs players after controversies I tellya :(.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Fast, impressive forechecker, super strong, great defensively and decent offensive instincts.

Had mental health issues that hampered his career. Could have continued to be a 15-20 goal and 40 point player.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
He had a heavy game with decent skills.

He was a hound on the puck, he was a Hymen type player who got lucky with a 30 goal year.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Was never going to be a repeat 30 goal guy, but the loss of Igor Korolev (and others he knew) in the (IIRC) Metalurg plane crash made a night and day impact in the way he played the game. He never had great hands, but pre plane crash he played with a fire that let him use his physical ability to be a much more impactful hockey player than his skill suggested. His hands were choppy, his stride was ugly by todays standards, but he had a solid shot, was fast as hell and an absolute truck on his feet.

Yes I have a somewhat "romanticized" memory of him, but he was one of the most fun prospects to follow in my time as a leaf fan. His career track is why I defended the Korshkov pick as long as I did

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
He oddly has similar traits to Mikhayev , with that 10mile stare....
The type of player that had it all: speed, size, skill. But 1 thing, confidence in himself.

You always thought "come on Kule... take it to the next level" he just didn't have 'it'

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
tenor.gif

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Was never going to be a repeat 30 goal guy, but the loss of Igor Korolev (and others he knew) in the (IIRC) Metalurg plane crash made a night and day impact in the way he played the game. He never had great hands, but pre plane crash he played with a fire that let him use his physical ability to be a much more impactful hockey player than his skill suggested. His hands were choppy, his stride was ugly by todays standards, but he had a solid shot, was fast as hell and an absolute truck on his feet.

Yes I have a somewhat "romanticized" memory of him, but he was one of the most fun prospects to follow in my time as a leaf fan. His career track is why I defended the Korshkov pick as long as I did

He was turning into a very good NHL player, absolute bull on his way to the net... and that plane crash seemed to just let all the air out of his tires.

Reactions: banks

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Kulemin-Grabovaki-MacCarthur was a great 1B line for us.

Enjoyed them but that plan crash permanently changed Kulemin and I remember Mac and Gravo absolutely hated Ron Wilson and left because of him….

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Kulemin-Grabovaki-MacCarthur was a great 1B line for us.

Enjoyed them but that plan crash permanently changed Kulemin and I remember Mac and Gravo absolutely hated Ron Wilson and left because of him….
Yeah, that was a super fun line to watch. Grabo had so much heart, and plenty of skill. Kulemin was built like an absolute tank - he wasn’t nasty, but just so strong on the puck. Nice shot and 2-way play, too. Then Mac was a quality glue guy.

Those teams mostly sucked, but that line was awesome, especially that one year where they were really on fire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad