Prospect Info: Nikolai Prokhorkin

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I'm interested to know more about this kid, he has been playing quite good in the KHL this season but I don't know anything about him except that he was drafted in 2012 by you.

Could you give me a scouting report on him?
Chances that he comes over in coming years?

Captain Mittens*

stay on target!

PorkinsHasAProblem(BesidesObesity)-ANH.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Skilled forward with good vision, physical, will fight, and pretty strong. Projects as a 2nd line forward. Kid was a 1st round talent who fell to the 4th due to the Russian factor and the fact that he had a KHL contract, which the Kings weren't aware of somehow.

I can guarantee you this - he'll be back here when his KHL deal is over. He signed an NHL entry level contract the same year we drafted him. He came over to Manch and played games for us before the KHL filed a dispute and wanted him to return and honor his contract. Disregard his stat line in the AHL. He looked FANTASTIC. Really good. People now are saying his stats come from playing with Radulov. I'm sure it helps but the kid can generate his own offense. In a sense, he's similar to Brown. In a sense. Physical play mixed with a bit of skill (Prokhorkin has better hands, Brown better hitter, both WILL fight).

Believe his contract runs until 2015. Then when he's free to sign, he will sign quickly. He agreed to a contract with us once. That won't change. Great attitude and wants to be an NHLer. And he will be.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
The great thing about Prokhorkin is he possesses the typical Russian hockey attributes with the creativity and skill level, but he also plays the body and is not afraid to engage in contact.

That will make a big difference in his transition to North America. As someone else said his contract expires in 2015. I'm not sure if there is an out clause in there somewhere or not either.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
The great thing about Prokhorkin is he possesses the typical Russian hockey attributes with the creativity and skill level, but he also plays the body and is not afraid to engage in contact.

That will make a big difference in his transition to North America. As someone else said his contract expires in 2015. I'm not sure if there is an out clause in there somewhere or not either.

It won't happen. I believe Kitsyn could have had one as well but didn't. All in all, out clauses in Russia are very rare. The only way out of a contract there is if you suck ass and the team lets you go. And that won't happen to Nikolai.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Skilled forward with good vision, physical, will fight, and pretty strong. Projects as a 2nd line forward. Kid was a 1st round talent who fell to the 4th due to the Russian factor and the fact that he had a KHL contract, which the Kings weren't aware of somehow.

I can guarantee you this - he'll be back here when his KHL deal is over. He signed an NHL entry level contract the same year we drafted him. He came over to Manch and played games for us before the KHL filed a dispute and wanted him to return and honor his contract. Disregard his stat line in the AHL. He looked FANTASTIC. Really good. People now are saying his stats come from playing with Radulov. I'm sure it helps but the kid can generate his own offense. In a sense, he's similar to Brown. In a sense. Physical play mixed with a bit of skill (Prokhorkin has better hands, Brown better hitter, both WILL fight).

Believe his contract runs until 2015. Then when he's free to sign, he will sign quickly. He agreed to a contract with us once. That won't change. Great attitude and wants to be an NHLer. And he will be.

Thank you for the information.

I've been looking at highlights of games and I can say that his offense is not Radulov's product, he looks great out there.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
It won't happen. I believe Kitsyn could have had one as well but didn't. All in all, out clauses in Russia are very rare. The only way out of a contract there is if you suck ass and the team lets you go. And that won't happen to Nikolai.

Not true. Evgeni Kuznetsov, a prospect for the Caps has one written in that if he is traded by Chelyabinsk he will become an "in conflict" player and can sign anywhere he wants. They say that this is the plan after the olympics. There is rumor that Dynamo Moscow (a team which Ovechkin has considerable sway with) is going to buy out his contract so he can leave and join the caps.

Also with Traktor, Nichushkin had a one year opt-out clause for this season and exercised it to go play with Dallas instead of doing a second year in the KHL.

A lot of the higher profile Russian players have opt-out clauses in their contracts, some more complicated than others, but the reality is if they wanted to come play in the NHL they could. A mid to low level guy like Kitsyn or Prokhorkin A) may not have one or B) may not feel like they will get playing time worth leaving the comfort of their home country. Most of these opt-outs benefit the KHL teams, like you have to pay extra on the buyout or something. They make it worth their while if you want to take one of their high profiles young players, which is why you see a lot of them just finish up their contracts and come over when that happens. Unless someone is really killing it, ala Kuznetsov, you won't see the team who owns them go to great lengths to pull them over.

Obviously a lot of moving parts CAN BE involved with these things, but to state that it only happens if you "suck ass" is completely incorrect. Kuznetsov has been one of the best players in Russia for the past two seasons, and Nichushkin will be in the running for the Calder.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Thank you for the information.

I've been looking at highlights of games and I can say that his offense is not Radulov's product, he looks great out there.

Just another case of fans looking at the situation and not actually watching the game. IIRC Radulov is now injured. Even in the game where Prokhorkin had a hat trick and Radulov WAS playing, it was almost all Porkins. First goal, he set himself up in front to be in a great position for when Radulov got him the puck. Stopped on the first shot but buried his own rebound. Second goal was a flukey play. Third was ALL skill.

I really look forward to the day Nikolai is back on NA ice. I'll be hyping him until then. I don't think it's out of the question to see him go straight from the KHL to the NHL after he does come back. At most, I would hope he only needs 1 year or less in Manchester. The biggest struggle for young Russians is getting ice time and he's getting plenty of it.

Not true. Evgeni Kuznetsov, a prospect for the Caps has one written in that if he is traded by Chelyabinsk he will become an "in conflict" player and can sign anywhere he wants. They say that this is the plan after the olympics. There is rumor that Dynamo Moscow (a team which Ovechkin has considerable sway with) is going to buy out his contract so he can leave and join the caps.

Also with Traktor, Nichushkin had a one year opt-out clause for this season and exercised it to go play with Dallas instead of doing a second year in the KHL.

A lot of the higher profile Russian players have opt-out clauses in their contracts, some more complicated than others, but the reality is if they wanted to come play in the NHL they could. A mid to low level guy like Kitsyn or Prokhorkin A) may not have one or B) may not feel like they will get playing time worth leaving the comfort of their home country.

Obviously a lot of moving parts CAN BE involved with these things, but to state that it only happens if you "suck ass" is completely incorrect. Kuznetsov has been one of the best players in Russia for the past two seasons, and Nichushkin will be in the running for the Calder.

Sorry. I really should have clarified that I did mean the lower level players. The higher level guys do have it but Nik isn't one of those guys.

Prokhorkin has already left home to play. He showed that willingness. He wanted to be in Manchester. If he had an out clause, I firmly believe he would have used it by now.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Sorry. I really should have clarified that I did mean the lower level players. The higher level guys do have it but Nik isn't one of those guys.

Prokhorkin has already left home to play. He showed that willingness. He wanted to be in Manchester. If he had an out clause, I firmly believe he would have used it by now.

Yea, we're on the same page. :nod:

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Yea, we're on the same page. :nod:

Good. And FWIW, the "sucking ass" thing I was referring to was guys like Nabokov who go over there on big deals and then stink, and thus get cut. It's happened quite a bit.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
30 points in 41 games for CSKA Moscow this year and a +7 to boot. Kid is only 20 years old and could be a big addition on LW for us in the future. It's too bad we have to wait until 2015.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
There are 3 threads out there on Porkins. Can the mods merge them? allot of the statements/questions are overlapping and it would make things easier.

That sais there is more info on him in our stickied prospects thread.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
No one reads the stickied threads TG, which I especially find lame. :(

But yes, he's just an incredible prospect. So glad the Kings got him.

KingKopitar11*

Kind of OT but I know you liked Slepyshev CNS, how is he doing?

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
No one reads the stickied threads TG, which I especially find lame. :(

But yes, he's just an incredible prospect. So glad the Kings got him.

Don't shoot the messenger - this just came up on a search and it was convenient to respond to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad