Player Discussion Niko Mikkola

Sisu4ever

Jan 6, 2020
Recent Mikkola/Kakko article in Finnish newspaper Ilta-Sanomat. I did Google translate, and corrected a few things, but there might still be some minor translation errors:

(I also posted this in the Kakko thread, but it is as much about Niko, how he became a Ranger)

VLADIMIR TARASENKO moves to the New York Rangers.

This kind of information started to spread last Thursday, but the information about the amount paid by the Rangers to the St. Louis Blues began to leak a little later, and the official confirmation of the deal came only about an hour later.

- I played on PlayStation with my Finnish friends. At the same time, I was browsing social media and saw that Tarasenko was coming. Of course, I immediately started to see if there would be a call that I could go the other way myself, Kaapo Kakko told Ilta-Sanomat on Monday in Vancouver.

- You never know, and sometimes there have been rumors.

Little by little, it became clear that Niko Mikkola would also be involved in the deal from the Blues' side, in addition to the goal scorer. From the Rangers, Sammy Blais, farm player Hunter Skinner and draft picks left in the other direction.

Mikkola's transfer came to Kakko's attention from a message from fellow player Braden Schneider.

- Schneider sent a message and asked if I knew the guy. I hadn't even noticed yet that he was involved in the training.

- It's somehow strange that we read about them on social media, even though we play in the same team. However, that's the name of the business. The player who left us (Blais) probably found the information there himself.

Lauri Pajuniemi and Tarmo Reunanen have been in the Rangers organization at the same time as Kakko.

Both have been familiar to the Turku native for years, but apart from Reunanen's short four-game stint in the NHL and Taxi squad, Kakko has basically played his entire nearly four-year NHL career without a Finnish teammate.

- When Schneider came to ask if I knew Mikkola, of course I immediately connected it to the trade. I went looking for more information and was pretty excited. Finally a Finnish playmate, Kakko said with satisfaction.

Mikkola and Kakko played together in the men's WC gold team 2019 and sauna’d frequently before the games.

- We immediately cursed, where to find the best sauna.

What about Mikkola himself?

He was getting ready for the Blues' first practice after the star break, when he learned that there is no need to go to the ice.

- Five minutes before the meeting, the GM called the coach. I was picked up, and I found out that I had been traded, Mikkola said.

One announcement changes life a lot and is sure to be a shock.

- It is. There had been talk in the media and I knew that something could happen before the transfer deadline, but you can't prepare for it. It came quite suddenly.

The day in the Rangers started right away with consecutive days of games, where there were victories over Seattle and Carolina.

- Except for the penalties in the first game, it has gone well. There are few new things. I have tried to play simply and communicate a lot on the ice. There were good wins, which one can only be satisfied with.

IN HIS DEBUT against Seattle, Mikkola received no less than three two-minute penalties.

The "hat trick" was special.

There haven't been any penalties like that in my entire career. In the first one, the guy skated after the whistle and lifted the stick to the stick, lifting it a little, Mikkola said about the situation where his stick then went up into the opponent's face.

The second, Mikkola's hook ice, was preceded by an offside. The third came from delaying the game, when Mikkola shot the puck into the stands - though clearly through the stick of Matty Beniers.

- I didn't even say anything to the judge, when I thought it was clearly seen. Yes, there was a bit of a laugh already.

RANGERS will play in Vancouver on Wednesday, but traveled to the venue already on Sunday.

As you might guess from the schedule, the team then held a traditional Rookie Party, i.e. a rookie dinner.

After a long drawn-out evening, we went to the ice around 12:30.

How did the skate move?

- Well, it wasn't the fastest, but I hope it didn't look too slow, Mikkola smiled.

Mikkola has previously played in the NHL on the same team as Ville Husso. Husso was also now simultaneously in Vancouver and in the same hotel with the Rangers – but with the Detroit Red Wings.

- I saw "Hude" for the first time this season.

Now 26-year-old Mikkola got into the same group as Kakko.

- There hasn't been a Finnish teammate this season, it's so fun to chat with a Finn too. However, I have also tried to get to know new guys. There are many new names and other new things.

Original article in Finnish

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

- It's somehow strange that we read about them on social media, even though we play in the same team. However, that's the name of the business. The player who left us (Blais) probably found the information there himself.
This stuck out

I would hope the nyr would have a bit more organization and professionalism.

It's one thing for the team to find out online but goddamn let the player know at least

Reactions: Sisu4ever

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well it's also just Kakko speculating that Blais found out he was traded on social media, using his own experience of finding out details of the trade on social media. I wouldn't necessarily expect the entire team to be told about a trade as it's unfolding. I would also hope they told Blais directly, but honestly there's no real reason to think they didn't.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
From what I can tell, this is pretty normal. Most NHL players find out they have been traded by hearing about it in the media.
yeah or an acquaintance texting, after hearing/seeing in media
not just NHL, seen similar stores re NBA and NFL ..

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Well it's also just Kakko speculating that Blais found out he was traded on social media, using his own experience of finding out details of the trade on social media. I wouldn't necessarily expect the entire team to be told about a trade as it's unfolding. I would also hope they told Blais directly, but honestly there's no real reason to think they didn't.
I read somewhere that the trade broke on social media before the Rangers called Blais. I don’t think that’s unusual, as teams probably prefer to wait until the trade is league office official before contacting the player. Meanwhile the news breaks on social media as soon as the GMs have a handshake agreement.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I read somewhere that the trade broke on social media before the Rangers called Blais. I don’t think that’s unusual, as teams probably prefer to wait until the trade is league office official before contacting the player. Meanwhile the news breaks on social media as soon as the GMs have a handshake agreement.
Definitely possible it went down that way. As much as I dislike the idea of players having to find out life-changing events through Twitter, it is ultimately a business and the teams are of course focused first and foremost on executing the trades. Sometimes it may not be practical to get in touch with the player/his agent first, or maybe even sometimes they try and can't get through in the small time window they have.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Definitely possible it went down that way. As much as I dislike the idea of players having to find out life-changing events through Twitter, it is ultimately a business and the teams are of course focused first and foremost on executing the trades. Sometimes it may not be practical to get in touch with the player/his agent first, or maybe even sometimes they try and can't get through in the small time window they have.

I think too many assumptions are being made from a translated Finnish article. I find it hard to believe the Rangers werent communicating with Sammy Blais in regards to potentially getting moved (back to his former team no less) when he was sent down for conditioning.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think too many assumptions are being made from a translated Finnish article. I find it hard to believe the Rangers werent communicating with Sammy Blais in regards to potentially getting moved (back to his former team no less) when he was sent down for conditioning.
That was my initial inclination as well--assumptions being made about an off-hand remark Kakko made in an interview. @Crease, however, said he thought he saw on socials the same thing, that Blais didn't know beforehand. Which, if it did happen, sucks but is also just unfortunately the reality of the business.

Reactions: Barnaby

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I found it interesting if not surprising at all that Kakko was aware his name has been in rumors. I HIGHLY doubt the NYR would even listen on him for any rental (even Meier) but just goes to show that the clickbait nonsense can even get to the players themselves. He looked like he had extra jump against Seattle and maybe it was the excitement of Mikkola joining the team and/or a weight being lifted off his mind.

Great read either way, thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Barnaby and Crease

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Guess I would expect the Rangers to tell the young players they are in their long term plans. But that would be common sense. Can't expect that.

Same group that benched him in game 6 and didn't tell him why.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Blais said in an interview that he was out shopping in a mall. Has he never heard of Amazon?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I found it interesting if not surprising at all that Kakko was aware his name has been in rumors. I HIGHLY doubt the NYR would even listen on him for any rental (even Meier) but just goes to show that the clickbait nonsense can even get to the players themselves. He looked like he had extra jump against Seattle and maybe it was the excitement of Mikkola joining the team and/or a weight being lifted off his mind.

Great read either way, thank you for sharing.
I think Kakko likely saw stuff from early in the year before he took a major step forward in his game, and the rangers didn’t get a chance to tell him “you’re basically untouchable “.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The players who are part of your future should know it.
I'm pretty sure any time a trade breaks on social media every single player on the roster without a NTC/NMC is checking to make sure they're not in the trade.

Are the Rangers supposed to call Kakko about a trade he's not involved in? Tell him he'll never be traded? Neither of those things will ever happen.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don't think Mikkola has been amazing but it's really nice to have a D that has absolutely no problem obstructing, throwing picks, subtle holds and lots of infraction worthy crap for once. This D unit plays way too honest.

I'm happy to see positive postings here about Mikkola's play, especially from today's King's game. Looks like he is a good addition to the team.
I don't know though, what's in those penalty boxes that attract him so much.
he feels like a player that won't be penalized nearly as much in the POs

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I'm happy to see positive postings here about Mikkola's play, especially from today's King's game. Looks like he is a good addition to the team.
I don't know though, what's in those penalty boxes that attract him so much.
In fairness to him today, his "holding" penalty was a joke and should have been a nothing.

However he's a beast and if he learns to use his body he could really be something, and if he learns the reads to time open ice hits, he could be something special defensively - like a better version of prime Denis Gauthier / Robyn Regehr. Underrated offensive reads, too. Haven't seen him use his slapshot much so curious if he has the ability to really wire it because he definitely has the strength to have one of those underrated slappers that give a seemingly "developed" player another dimension in their game mid-career when they learn how to use it.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Guess I would expect the Rangers to tell the young players they are in their long term plans. But that would be common sense. Can't expect that.

Same group that benched him in game 6 and didn't tell him why.
These are grown men and that’s the nature of the business. These guys shouldn’t have to be coddled. On the flip side, you tell him he’s a long term piece, not getting moved, and a great offer comes up, then you’d get knocked for lying or being insincere. I’m sure Kakko knows the NYR have invested a lot in him and though he’s improved, he isn’t the star many expected him to be. He’s certainly viewed as a long term piece but he’s not the guy you go to and tell he’s a cornerstone who is untouchable.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad