Injury Report: Niklas Backstrom "Shut Down" for the Season

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Russo

It really has been the season from hell for Backs.

Gotta agree. Had a great stretch last season up until playoffs when he gets injured and this season he loses not only his starting gig to Harding after getting knocked down, but then loses his backup position to DK and now again goes back on IR for health issues.

Rough.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Needed to be done. I know Backs is a warrior, but he can't keep running at less than 100% and heal properly.

Rest up Backs.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
It's tough. He hasn't been himself during last few years, tho. I think those issues have bothered him some time. At least periodically. His movement hasn't look normal, with the exception of some short stretches.

Backs was the reason why I started to follow Wild. It's really rough.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Called this at the beginning of the last year. Dude is done physically, absolutely waste of a contract. Fletcher was concentrating his inner DR with that move.

He was really handcuffed though. Backs did play great last year. Hard to move away from someone who has proven to be able to play and go elsewhere.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
He didn't look right all season.

Unfortunately this means we probably won't be able to regular buyout him this off-season.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
This is really good news. We really wrecked him by riding him into the ground at the end of last season. Hopefully now he3 will do the smart thing and have surgery to repair everything, and have a full offseason to heal up and see if maybe he's still useful as a goalie next year.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
I loved Backstrom. I am now very happy that I was able to attend his more than likely final start for this team when the Wild lost to Colorado on January 11th. I hope he becomes healthy soon.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
if Backs is healthy for next year, I like keeping him and not buying him out no matter his contract. Hopefully he can become a great mentor to Kuemper and we'll see what happens with Harding.

If Harding and Backs are healthy for the start of next year, it will be a very interesting summer / fall seeing as it looks like Kuemper may run away with the starting goalie gig for the next 10 years

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Called this at the beginning of the last year. Dude is done physically, absolutely waste of a contract. Fletcher was concentrating his inner DR with that move.

Holy overreaction, batman. :laugh:

You realize Backstrom's career isn't over, and that he'll likely regain his form by next season, right?

Caior89

Mar 31, 2011
Definetely something was wrong with Backstrom since the start of the season. Good thing he will have time to rest and heal properly for the next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad