Rumor: Nikitin to Avangard Omsk?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
good move. We'll still have his cap hit I'm sure, but at least he won't be taking minutes from our prospects.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
y6RX4.gif

Muad'Dib

Jun 29, 2006
Arrakis
The word 'negotiating' is interesting. If we were just loaning him out, would there be much negotiation?

Based on Jim Matheson's initial tweets when Nikitin was waived, the Oilers would likely have to pay some of his salary if he went to the KHL. That is what is likely being negotiated.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
we would still have his cap hit in the AHL or ECHL, minus 950k

We'll have his cap hit no matter what, but if prospect playing time is the concern send him to the ECHL. I don't see much benefit in allowing him to go to the KHL if we're still saddled with his cap hit.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We'll have his cap hit no matter what, but if prospect playing time is the concern send him to the ECHL. I don't see much benefit in allowing him to go to the KHL if we're still saddled with his cap hit.

Is the bolded confirmed somewhere in the CBA?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Based on Jim Matheson's initial tweets when Nikitin was waived, the Oilers would likely have to pay some of his salary if he went to the KHL. That is what is likely being negotiated.

do we save additional cap space that way?

oiler-dude

Didn't Matheson (or another MSM member on Twitter) also say that the Oilers and Nikitin could mutually agree to terminate the contract? Obviously, if Nikitin didn't have anything lined up he wouldn't do that, but if he finds himself a nice deal in Russia, perhaps he'd mutually agree with the Oilers, and then he'd be off the books.

Edit: Based on Gregor's tweets, this would be incorrect, which makes sense. He likely couldn't sign another deal due to the transfer agreement between NHL & KHL.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Too bad we can't send him to ECHL that's what the guy deserves. The embarrassment, riding the bus and living in Norfolk would probably be enough to get him to not report and then we could get out from that cap hit.

Not really happy that he gets to go play in his hometown while we foot the bill and the cap hit but I'd rather that then have him taking minutes away from young defenseman in Bakersfield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad