Prospect Info: Nikita Zaitsev Discussion

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
in a game where nearly the entire team was horrible...its the same story with zaitsev, didnt do many things horrible, didnt do anything great...its not a bad quality to have

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Watched 1st period only, he was paired with Hunwick, but at the end of th game Zaitsev finished -1 and Hunwick -3, were they separated after 1st?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Watched 1st period only, he was paired with Hunwick, but at the end of th game Zaitsev finished -1 and Hunwick -3, were they separated after 1st?

Hunwick was playing with Carrick a bit.

I would not want to be stuck with Huwick. Ask Rielly about that, Hunwick sucks pretty bad. Hopefully Zaitsev isn't stuck with him.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Maybe that is babcocks magic move; pair players with hunwick which forces them to become better defensively through necessity?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Maybe that is babcocks magic move; pair players with hunwick which forces them to become better defensively through necessity?

Or ruins them
That's some veteran leadership right there
No developing Dman should have to carry around an anchor like Hunwick or Polak

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

I laughed but its true that the bad d-partner and tough assignments probably did help Rielly get a bit stronger defensively.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Or ruins them
That's some veteran leadership right there
No developing Dman should have to carry around an anchor like Hunwick or Polak

For the life of me I don't get babcocks fascination with hunnie. Mind boggling!
Polak at least intimidates in the crease and the corners.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I laughed but its true that the bad d-partner and tough assignments probably did help Rielly get a bit stronger defensively.

It would force you to think a few steps ahead.
I really think we need vetson the blueline and this would be the only way he makes it over a carrick or even corrado, who imo has had a great preseason.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
For the life of me I don't get babcocks fascination with hunnie. Mind boggling!
Polak at least intimidates in the crease and the corners.

Neither of them is good enough to do what we need them to do which is help develop and look after a kid on there pair
Zaitsev and Carrick can't be paired with Hunwick
No surprise that they looked good away from him and terrible with him
That is not good for anyone's development especially two guys who are important to this team's future

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Neither of them is good enough to do what we need them to do which is help develop and look after a kid on there pair
Zaitsev and Carrick can't be paired with Hunwick
No surprise that they looked good away from him and terrible with him
That is not good for anyone's development especially two guys who are important to this team's future

Agreed that neither of them are good enough to mentor other than how to live the life of a pro fitness attitude etc.
Sadly we don't have any option for a vet to fill the on ice role model. Rielly seems very professional out there. Gets better every year, but he is still developing and shouldn't be asked to help develop a youngster.
Imo Zaistev is already polished. He just needs tips to adjust to the nhl game and because of this I think he could and should be paired with Rielly.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agreed that neither of them are good enough to mentor other than how to live the life of a pro fitness attitude etc.
Sadly we don't have any option for a vet to fill the on ice role model. Rielly seems very professional out there. Gets better every year, but he is still developing and shouldn't be asked to help develop a youngster.
Imo Zaistev is already polished. He just needs tips to adjust to the nhl game and because of this I think he could and should be paired with Rielly.

Zaitsev should have Rielly stapled to his pair Gardiner and Carrick should be put together as well and then Marincin and Corrado should be put together on a pair
Use Polak and Hunwick as the 7th D and in case of injuries
If we are going to suck we may as well have the kids playing at least they may learn something

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Zaitsev should have Rielly stapled to his pair Gardiner and Carrick should be put together as well and then Marincin and Corrado should be put together on a pair
Use Polak and Hunwick as the 7th D and in case of injuries
If we are going to suck we may as well have the kids playing at least they may learn something

I like those pairings. Maybe even corrado with Gardiner.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Gee, I didn't know Hunwick was on the # 1 pairing.
Hunwick represents a disconnect in our question of driving possession. He's sort of a tweener, but is horrible moving the puck up the ice. He's not a strong outlet passer and thus he has to be moving in order to drive the play.

Simply put, Hunwick forces his partner to solely responsible for puck moving. On the other hand, he isn't a mean physical specimen nor is modern, possessional defenseman in the mould of Hjalmarsson or Vlasic
either. Essentially, he's here due to being a "veteran" and, unfortunately, finding an experienced D with a modern game is virtually impossible.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Zaitsev does better with Rielly and Rielly does better with Zaitsev. MAKE THIS PAIRING HAPPEN BABCOCK!!!

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
like every world cup and preseason game...he was rock solid again, didnt really do anything bad the entire game

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I noticed Zaitsev is still more used to international ice in his positioning. I wonder how long that will take to get out of his system.

At least one carry in (when I noticed) where he was skating so far out against the boards when coming up the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad