Rumor: Nikita Zadorov Would Welcome Move To Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I'm going to go on the record, yet again, and voice my disapproval for the Leafs acquiring any rentals outside of depth pieces (i.e. very cheap cost) until they prove they can win few rounds.

Last year Dubas got about the biggest haul of veteran talent, grit, depth, etc. a GM possibly could ever hope for at the deadline and for all that we got dumped in 5 by the Panthers like a bad habit.

If we're talking about players with term like McCabe was, that's different. Go for it. Otherwise, this roster should first prove they have a decent shot at making mortgaging the future worth it.

Reactions: VanW27

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm going to go on the record, yet again, and voice my disapproval for the Leafs acquiring any rentals outside of depth pieces (i.e. very cheap cost) until they prove they can win few rounds.

Last year Dubas got about the biggest haul of veteran talent, grit, depth, etc. a GM possibly could ever hope for at the deadline and for all that we got dumped in 5 by the Panthers like a bad habit.

If we're talking about players with term like McCabe was, that's different. Go for it. Otherwise, this roster should first prove they have a decent shot at making mortgaging the future worth it.

I actually agree on looking for players with term but what I’ve been saying is not for the same reasoning/requirement. Like if we’re moving out an expiring contract for another that is expiring but fits our needs better, sure, whatever. But if we’re moving futures in prospects or picks, I want assurances we’re not pure renting. Either a player with term remaining or a negotiated extension as part of the deal. At some point we need players we acquire at the deadline to stay or we’re just throwing away assets and turning over roster; not actually building it

Mar 26, 2010
Honestly guys, this D man is a scrub. Trash

Timmins is way better than him and will be back soon.

• Haha
Reactions: Nick034

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I want Zadorov here as much as anybody, I don't want to move a 1st round pick for Zadorov alone.

Now according to Friedman Treliving wants both Zadorov and Tanev.

If he can somehow pull that off that's different because then you have significantly changed the defense.

But for Zadorov alone? I think a 1st round pick is to high.

Source?
I'm very hesitant too .. but those 2 guys could help stabilize our D core in playoffs .. if at all possible i would flip Brodie and Klinberg and a 1st for Zadorov and Tanev .. but again only if I could lock up Zadorov on a long term team friendly AAV .. at 5.5M AAV for Zadorov I would take a hard pass .. Zadorov at 4M for 6 years ok that works for me ..

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

After all these years (and especially last season), we might be at the point where that ship has sailed, and we're just screwed. Most likely we'll keep swinging away until even the most optimistic homer GM is forced to face the facts and start the next rebuild.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011

Timmons may be "way better" as you claim, but how can we really be sure if he's always injured? Zadorov has been relatively healthy for a good portion of his career. I'll take the lesser talent, almost always available to play, guy over an oft injured minor upgrade offensively.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Oh yes, ol’ Timmy Timmons and his wealth of NHL experience. The only thing he has shown to be capable of is visiting the injured list

Reactions: bax

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I'm very hesitant too .. but those 2 guys could help stabilize our D core in playoffs .. if at all possible i would flip Brodie and Klinberg and a 1st for Zadorov and Tanev .. but again only if I could lock up Zadorov on a long term team friendly AAV .. at 5.5M AAV for Zadorov I would take a hard pass .. Zadorov at 4M for 6 years ok that works for me ..

Tavev is a downgrade vs brodie

To stabilize the d they're only 1 way to do it... bring in a real #2 to put everybody in the right chair, its the only way. If youre trying to use 3/4/5th dman like a #2, thats will hunt you come playoff

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Lol.

Are you getting worked up thinking I’m worked up that he heard some rumour at some bar?

Weak troll job.

Try
Well that's a reliable source........................
No worst then 99% of the “sources” out there. I never said it was reliable did I? I just threw it out there to see if anyone else heard anything. The fact that there are people on both sides of this rumour makes it interesting to talk about at least.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think the deal is pretty easy to make.

Klingberg (4.15M) + Abruzzese + Hirvonen + 2024 1st rd. pick (top-10 protected) + 2024 5th rd. pick (VAN)

for

Tanev (50% retained - 2.25M) + Zadorov (50% retained - 1.875M) = 4.125M

Tanev and Zadorov probably don't pull in a 1st rd. draft pick on their own. But, together they have to pull an asset of comparable weight. It may be worth it for Calgary to bank at least one 1st between the 2. Even cap coming in to the Leafs allows them to carry the extra skater.

Calgary can rehabilitate Kling's value and get something for him at the deadline to add to the bounty.

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Brodie
Zadorov - Liljegren
ex. Giordano - Timmins

That is a sharp defensive group. McCabe and Zadorov bring the overwhelming physicality to pairings 2 and 3. It creates lots of quality options to switch up pairings. Each LD would blend well with each of his potential RD linemates. There are no weak links defensively.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

That's the thing you need to keep Brodie and you can keep Brodie IF you get 50% retention on Zadorov and Tanev.

If they did something like

Tanev 50%
Zadorov50%

For Klingberg
1st/Minten
3rd
Timmins

That works salary cap wise, in fact it works salary cap wise without Timmins but just barely

Then you got

Reilly Tanev

Brodie Zadorov

McCabe Lilly.

Something like that.

It would probably take the 2024 1st but I'd try Fraser Minten, because as much as I like Fraser Minten, I do think he probably tops out as a 3C, and you can very likely replace him with a higher end prospect with the 2024 1st.

I don't know what they are going to do with Klingberg but I don't think he's going to be here much longer, I'd not sure if he's played his last game yet but it feels close

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why does a trade for Zadorov take so long? Its not like he is a top dman.
Calgary is in no hurry so they'll wait until someone steps up with an overpayment or wait until the t/d then take the best offer .

I'd do the same if i was them .

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

Klingberg (4.15M) + Abruzzese + Hirvonen + 2024 1st rd. pick (top-10 protected) + 2024 5th rd. pick (VAN)

for

Tanev and Zadorov probably don't pull in a 1st rd. draft pick on their own. But, together they have to pull an asset of comparable weight. It may be worth it for Calgary to bank at least one 1st between the 2. Even cap coming in to the Leafs allows them to carry the extra skater.

Calgary can rehabilitate Kling's value and get something for him at the deadline to add to the bounty.

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Brodie
Zadorov - Liljegren
ex. Giordano - Timmins

That is a sharp defensive group. McCabe and Zadorov bring the overwhelming physicality to pairings 2 and 3. It creates lots of quality options to switch up pairings. Each LD would blend well with each of his potential RD linemates. There are no weak links defensively.
Maybe if this was a few years ago, yeah tanev on the first pair with Rielly, but now? He'll no

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Calgary is in no hurry so they'll wait until someone steps up with an overpayment or wait until the t/d then take the best offer .

I'd do the same if i was them .
Yeah, I'm not sure why Calgary would rush into anything.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

for

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Brodie
Zadorov - Liljegren
ex. Giordano - Timmins

That's the thing you need to keep Brodie and you can keep Brodie IF you get 50% retention on Zadorov and Tanev.

If they did something like

Tanev 50%
Zadorov50%

For Klingberg
1st/Minten
3rd
Timmins

That works salary cap wise, in fact it works salary cap wise without Timmins but just barely

Then you got

Reilly Tanev

Brodie Zadorov

McCabe Lilly.

Something like that.

It would probably take the 2024 1st but I'd try Fraser Minten, because as much as I like Fraser Minten, I do think he probably tops out as a 3C, and you can very likely replace him with a higher end prospect with the 2024 1st.

I don't know what they are going to do with Klingberg but I don't think he's going to be here much longer, I'd not sure if he's played his last game yet but it feels close

this D still have the same exact issue than last season, a d who unable to move the puck out of defensive zone and bring offensive outside of rielly ... so they will defend and defend and defend again and at the end struggling offensivly.. leafs need a dman who can excel both side of the puck and not an unidimentionnal D

hanifin should be the main target and no body else...

get gio playing like 10-11 min at 5v5 and 2-3 min on PK its fine...

Last edited:

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I don’t understand why so many fans and media members want to trade Liljegren. He is at worst our 3rd best defenceman right now.
Is it that he never lived up to that pre-draft 1st overall hype?

I think Liljegren will continue improving, his best hockey is ahead of him. I think he's on his way to becoming our most well-rounded defenseman.

Reactions: Obo and kb

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Too early for guys like this. Need to be patient and wait see what happens later in season. (Better options might come)

Don't get caught up in people judging the GM with criteria that he had to fix the D after a few small months of getting the job.

Our other gms were given almost decade long rope.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
After all these years (and especially last season), we might be at the point where that ship has sailed, and we're just screwed. Most likely we'll keep swinging away until even the most optimistic homer GM is forced to face the facts and start the next rebuild.
There are optimistic homer armchair GM's on this board that will never face the facts amd I'm sure there are professionals that got their jobs without merit who are this deluded too.

We will just have to see what happens.

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad