Nikita Tryamkin III : 2017 Calder, Marriage & Conditioning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Tries hard, but does NOT win enough board battles like you suggest, not strong enough in front of the net, not effective enough with the puck, no threat to the opposition in the offensive zone, barely has an AHL caliber shot, only looks like he's a capable skater after he gets a chance to wind up and his little legs look like Speedy Gonzalez with how short his strides are.

IF we need to ice Biega in our top 6... we really are in trouble.
Edler, Sbisa, Gudbranson, Larsen, Tryamkin, Tanev, Hutton should easily push him down... and if it comes down to a toss up between Pedan and Biega on the number 8 (since it looks like we'll be carrying 8 going into game 1)... its a no brainer decision of who gets waived to Utica. Ideally it would take 3 injuries before we see him iced.

Yeah, it's a no brainer Pedan gets waived unless he shows big improvement. He needs the ice time to develop - he won't get that sitting in the pressbox. He's also not as reliable which is what you want from a filler guy, come in and play well enough and quietly do your job not hurt the team.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I expect more of the same from him, which isn't really a bad thing. He played like a legitimate NHL player in his small sample size here. I hope we put him on the left with Larsen.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Agreed. He already showed that last year (IMO he played like a #4D), but he will have to show it again and maintain it.

I didn't see the passing game of a top 4. Thought he looked like a decent young bottom pairing guy though, pretty good considering he just got here. I'm hoping he pushes sbisa out of the lineup by switching to the LS.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Yeah, it's a no brainer Pedan gets waived unless he shows big improvement. He needs the ice time to develop - he won't get that sitting in the pressbox. He's also not as reliable which is what you want from a filler guy, come in and play well enough and quietly do your job not hurt the team.

It's funny how his turnovers don't get the headline news treatment here...

He's a good story and all... but the free pass he gets is incredible.

I'm rarely here in GDTs cuz i can't watch and post at same time... i will one day do a Biega post-shift report.. and a Sbisa one!
Better yet.. i should learn how to do highlight videos..

Anyone know if you can pull video from Gamecenter? I would have access to all the games in HD.. could be fun to learn how to pull clips. PM me.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Biega is fine on the bottom pair and not the worst of that bunch, but I'm hoping that some of these guys pan out into some kind of higher value asset. Some of them will need to be moved to make room for the next guys in line. Biega's potential has been realized, he'd also make a great Captain for the Comets.
Guys like Stecher, Subban, and Larsen, maybe, but I don't see Sbisa/Pedan as having much more potential than Biega does, personally, despite the age advantage.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
True enough. Still I think Sbisa would be tolerated alot more if his contract was more in line with what other #6 left side D get.

Agreed.

Sbisa is judged against the standards Benning set out for him, which was that he had the promise of a top-4 d and then got a serious pay-raise with term despite being an RFA whose performance was arbitration worthy. So Benning set things up for Sbisa to do nothing but disappoint.

Tryamkin was a bit of a project, kind of boom or bust, so anything more that bust and he's already avoiding worst-case scenario.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

all our waiver guys are waive

hey whatever happened to linden vey anyway? and is clendening in the swiss league yet?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Guys like Stecher, Subban, and Larsen, maybe, but I don't see Sbisa/Pedan as having much more potential than Biega does, personally, despite the age advantage.

Stecher and Subban will be in Utica and if Biega gets sent down, he will be the first call-up unless remarkable changes occur over night with Subbie. Similar sized Stecher ("I'm just going by HF fan posts in the past couple days who have seen him personally and say the various heights listed are generously inflated) is going to have to prove he can cut it with the AHL talent first before you start thinking about him in Vancouver.

If they keep 8, Biega is a lock for the start of the season. 7 creates a tossup between him and Pedan. Benning being dumb enough to keep 18-yr old Juolevi will send Pedan and Biega down.

I will repeat. If Pedan becomes the new franmkie he will go to seed the same way. This guy can't become the player he has to be sitting in the pressbox. He either plays, which he won't, or he needs to play ever day in Utica. Biega has achieved that ability and can fill in from the press box anytime and not hurt the team. You can't keep developing players on the sideline because they DON"T develop. The same would be true of Subban and Stecher. Benning KNOWS that as well. While he has made bad move after bad move, I don't think he is an actual idiot, he's just desperate to keep his job. Doing any of the above with his 4 only current possible high level defensive prospects would defy my just stated belief in his smarts.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If they keep 8, Biega is a lock for the start of the season. 7 creates a tossup between him and Pedan. Benning being dumb enough to keep 18-yr old Juolevi will send Pedan and Biega down..
If him and Pedan are a toss up if they keep 7... and Biega is a lock if they keep 8... who is getting bounced for Biega?
1 Edler 2 Hutton 3 Gudbranson 4 Sbisa 5 Larsen 6 Tanev 7 Tryamkin
8 Pedan

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If him and Pedan are a toss up if they keep 7... and Biega is a lock if they keep 8... who is getting bounced for Biega?
8 Pedan

I can't see Biega sticking around in the absence of injuries. He's arguably better than Pedan at this stage but Pedan should be considered an asset to develop. Biega, at this stage of his career, is a good AHL defenseman who can fill-in admirably at the NHL level. There shouldn't be an expectation that he can get better but he is a steady 8/9 D-man on most NHL teams. And Pedan has at least some potential to be the 8th D/14th Forward.

The one caveat is that if Larsen (and less likely Tryamkin) shows that he just isn't ready to play at the NHL level, Larsen could be the one looking in from the outside.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
8 Pedan

top 4 are clearly edler hutton gudbranson and tanev.

5 - 6 are Tryamkin and Sbisa, but sure hope they don't play together. Larsen and Pedan on the outside looking in, with Biega probably more worthy of the 7th spot, and one who can fill in.

So assuming the Canucks go with the standard 20 roster each game (12 forwards, 6 d and 2 G) they can carry 3 more ... so I assume they will carry 2 d men and one forward .... allowing for some injuries, so they don't have to expose anyone to waivers .... but of course it might be 2 forwards and one D ....

Either way, someone has to be exposed to waivers cuz i can't see them carrying 9 D men on their 23 man roster ... and I don't think Tryamkin will be sent to Utica ....

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Here's what we will see IMO for a 12F 6D 2G roster with 3 Healthy Scratches

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Rodin-Granlund-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa-Larsen

Miller
Markstrom

1 Extra Forward - Etem
2 Extra Defense - Tryamkin, Pedan

First Forward call up -Gaunce
First Defense call up -Biega

Only player that needs waiving is Biega (he won't get claimed)

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
top 4 are clearly edler hutton gudbranson and tanev.

5 - 6 are Tryamkin and Sbisa, but sure hope they don't play together. Larsen and Pedan on the outside looking in, with Biega probably more worthy of the 7th spot, and one who can fill in.

So assuming the Canucks go with the standard 20 roster each game (12 forwards, 6 d and 2 G) they can carry 3 more ... so I assume they will carry 2 d men and one forward .... allowing for some injuries, so they don't have to expose anyone to waivers .... but of course it might be 2 forwards and one D ....

Either way, someone has to be exposed to waivers cuz i can't see them carrying 9 D men on their 23 man roster ... and I don't think Tryamkin will be sent to Utica ....

Larsen won't be on the outside looking in. Benning said they're going to give him every opportunity to QB the PP. So expect Vey treatment for Larsen. I expect Tryamkin to be on the outside because that will piss off everyone the most.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Rodin-Granlund-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa-Larsen

Miller
Markstrom

1 Extra Forward - Etem

I think you are dead on in terms of the bodies and where they'll be.

However... Etem in... Rodin in&out xtra as he recovers and gets up to speed with the NHL game again.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Larsen won't be on the outside looking in. Benning said they're going to give him every opportunity to QB the PP. So expect Vey treatment for Larsen. I expect Tryamkin to be on the outside because that will piss off everyone the most.

Well.. hopefully camp sorts it all out as clearly and obviously as it did for Vey (both in season 1 and season 2) and Kenins...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Rodin-Granlund-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa-Larsen

Miller
Markstrom

1 Extra Forward - Etem

I think you're probably right (in terms of the 23 man roster). I would hate to see Gaunce sent down but, realistically, I can't point to any other player that the team would send down instead. The closest is Pedan.

Edit: There is an argument to have Virtanen incubate in the minors for half a season. It will depend on how he performs at camp and in the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad