Prospect Info: Nikita Pavlychev (Center | Des Moines (USHL) | 7th round, 197th overall)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm sure it's been done, but I can't think of any Russians that went the NCAA route.

I'm thinking there has to be something with his family leading to this...he committed to Penn State back in 2013 when he was playing for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights.

edit:
Pavlychev is a 6-foot-6-inch center originally from Yaroslavl, Russia. He, alongside fellow commit Denis Smirnov, played for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights youth program.
Darian Somers, PSU Collegian

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm thinking there has to be something with his family leading to this...he committed to Penn State back in 2013 when he was playing for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights.

I get the feeling that his family and Malkin's family are close and maybe that influenced him, because the kid is not only a Pens fan and Malkin fan, he's been in the area and is now committed to the Lions.

I love the pick no matter what, the guy is a freak of nature.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

11379747_721217921334005_608252913_n.jpg

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Could this be their idea of "going local" like they've discussed?

He's Russian, but he grew up in WBS' youth system and he's going to Penn State.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If I had to guess, I'd guess the reason he's going to Penn State is because he didn't know if he'd be drafted and wanted to get an education in case he wasn't.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
If I had to guess, I'd guess the reason he's going to Penn State is because he didn't know if he'd be drafted and wanted to get an education in case he wasn't.

More in answer to another question about why he is going to the USHL, its because he hasn't graduated high school yet. It's always been his plan to go the NCAA route, and given his height and the needed physical development, its the right move.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's lanky, but not baby fat, which is a good thing, he's a solid 6'7" and tipping in at 205+...NCAA will allow him to play 40, get the right amount of time to bulk up without the wear and tear screwing him over.

I feel like this kid is going to be a very good sleeper pick. Pens need to start cultivating those late picks into NHL'ers the way the Wings and other teams do.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He's lanky, but not baby fat, which is a good thing, he's a solid 6'7" and tipping in at 205+...NCAA will allow him to play 40, get the right amount of time to bulk up without the wear and tear screwing him over.

I feel like this kid is going to be a very good sleeper pick. Pens need to start cultivating those late picks into NHL'ers the way the Wings and other teams do.

Yeah, I mean, to me, judging by the very limited video we have, this guy goes in the back of your mind for at least 4 years. If he does make it, I wouldn't necessarily expect it to happen for, like, 8.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You never know these days, but he's a long shot, it'll be fun to watch his progression.

The biggest thing is that JR and his staff too some good risks this year, imo anyway.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Makes for a more interesting draft but he reminds of that other guy from a few years ago from Nebraska Omaha or whatever it was that we tried to sign (can't remember if he was at our prospect camp or what it was). He was like 6'8" or close. Wasn't it the same Sustr kid TB started giving minutes to this year? That name sticks in my head as being the guy but might not be.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Makes for a more interesting draft but he reminds of that other guy from a few years ago from Nebraska Omaha or whatever it was that we tried to sign (can't remember if he was at our prospect camp or what it was). He was like 6'8" or close. Wasn't it the same Sustr kid TB started giving minutes to this year? That name sticks in my head as being the guy but might not be.

Other than being tall, I'm not so sure they have anything in common seeing as they play totally different positions.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
From what I've read he really needs to work on his skating. If he can work on being physical and develop his hockey IQ even more, he could be a decent Bottom 6 guy.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
“I had a growth spurt from like 6-3 to 6-7 almost in one year and it was hard to adjust,” Pavlychev laughed. “So one of my biggest things I have to really work on is my physical strength. With my size, I’ve still got to get stronger. Other than that, I would say I probably have pretty good hockey sense and I’m always trying to be a hard worker on the ice. Definitely my size will work good for me.”

The Pens see Pavlychev as more of a longer-term prospect, but as co-director of amateur scouting Randy Sexton put it, “he’s somebody that we have high hopes for.”

And when Pavlychev does make the transition to the NHL, he can’t wait to skate alongside his favorite player – fellow Russian Evgeni Malkin.

“My favorite player is Evgeni Malkin, and I know it almost sounds strange that I got drafted by Pittsburgh, but I try to model my game after him,” Pavlychev said. “(Getting drafted by Pittsburgh) is really awesome. Words can't explain it. It's really awesome.”
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772707

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Can't speak to that, but if he's been living in Scranton, seems likely he'd have friends that are going to PSU.

They're REALLY terrible. So bad that my university here has stopped accepting Russian students for graduate studies who can't pass a rigorous entry exam because so many of them had just bought their diplomas.

Then again, he IS going to be living in State College...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad