Player Discussion Nikita Nesterenko

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This man doesn’t sleep.

Hot damn! That press pass is allowing Mr. Lee some interviews with Ducks now. This is a great long form that even Wheeler might shed a tear on. There's so many connections to Nesterenko from former Duck Bowen being quoted, Zegras in some brick league, Stolarz as his workout buddy in the off-season, and Helleson as his teammate and roommate at BC.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
This man doesn’t sleep.

It's nice to have someone covering the team that actually takes it seriously, and is willing to go beyond the bare minimum when he puts out information, or puts out a story.

So many writers, in any sport, literally just put out whatever the team makes available to them and nothing more. Glad that some of these younger guys are taking the initiative to actually create their own story, rather than regurgitate the information that's given to everyone.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
It's nice to have someone covering the team that actually takes it seriously, and is willing to go beyond the bare minimum when he puts out information, or puts out a story.

So many writers, in any sport, literally just put out whatever the team makes available to them and nothing more. Glad that some of these younger guys are taking the initiative to actually create their own story, rather than regurgitate the information that's given to everyone.
Seriously. The guy reached out to his BCHL teammate, Ethan Bowen, who doesn’t even play hockey anymore, just to get a quote on Nesterenko.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Stop making me defend Stephens! Stephens actually likes doing long form and I like his long form b/c it's not regurgitated info. He's not heavy on breaking news, obviously since we make him a meme for breaking news that broke two days prior his sharing.

Mr. Lee's engagement really took off when he moved to the Sports Tribune from the Hockey Writers. I'm thinking he's got official press credentials for more accessibility to the team and share with us. Which reminds me, he's got a youtube and we need to keep sharing his youtube to increase subscribers: link.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Even if we did had other good beat writers, Derek Lee would still stand out. Dude is very good (and passionate I have to guess) about his job. Not sure how much that is because he's a Ducks fan, as anyway he just seems dedicated to delivering a great work. So refreshing. Bless this man.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016

Stephens not being with the ducks anymore would feel like a breath of fresh air, let him go cover the flames with Bob Murray.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Stephens not being with the ducks anymore would feel like a breath of fresh air, let him go cover the flames with Bob Murray.

I really don't comprehend the hatred of Stephens nor wishing to have even fewer Ducks content being published. Stephens excels at long form writing and slow to breaking news. This has been known for ages. It's like complaining that Fowler needs to start hitting more and clearing the crease when that's clearly not his game.
Lee adds that element of giving us instantaneous info. Surprisingly, his long form is Wheeler-esque great!

More Ducks content is better than scarce Ducks content. I listen to the Crash the Pond guys (Felix and the other guy) despite me disagreeing with them almost 90% of the time because there isn't a lot of Ducks content out there that's consistent. Recently, I discovered Felix also writes for the Sporting Tribune, the same media Lee writes for. I cringed for a second, but shrugged it off b/c it's more Ducks content.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I really don't comprehend the hatred of Stephens nor wishing to have even fewer Ducks content being published. Stephens excels at long form writing and slow to breaking news. This has been known for ages. It's like complaining that Fowler needs to start hitting more and clearing the crease when that's clearly not his game.
Lee adds that element of giving us instantaneous info. Surprisingly, his long form is Wheeler-esque great!

More Ducks content is better than scarce Ducks content. I listen to the Crash the Pond guys (Felix and the other guy) despite me disagreeing with them almost 90% of the time because there isn't a lot of Ducks content out there that's consistent. Recently, I discovered Felix also writes for the Sporting Tribune, the same media Lee writes for. I cringed for a second, but shrugged it off b/c it's more Ducks content.
Stephens doesn't excel at anything. His takes are as bland as can be and his prose is bog-standard sportswriting with nothing unique or interesting added in. If sports journalism were a buffet, Stephens is a rice cake.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Stephens doesn't excel at anything. His takes are as bland as can be and his prose is bog-standard sportswriting with nothing unique or interesting added in. If sports journalism were a buffet, Stephens is a rice cake.
I've seen some people say oh but he's a 'good writer.' there's nothing about his long-form that's stood out to me as superior to anyone else, Russo for example is a lot more insightful and his interest in hockey comes through in his pieces.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin

I like Eric's articles and subscribed to The Athletic to get them as they come out. Unfortunately, he now writes for the Kings which has impacted his Ducks coverage. It's not his fault, but it has definitely made a difference in the length and quantity of what he's putting out now.

Reactions: Kalv

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I like Eric's articles and subscribed to The Athletic to get them as they come out. Unfortunately, he now writes for the Kings which has impacted his Ducks coverage. It's not his fault, but it has definitely made a difference in the length and quantity of what he's putting out now.
I haven't noticed much change in terms of length and quality, but the quantity has dipped after being assigned the Kings.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I haven't noticed much change in terms of length and quality, but the quantity has dipped after being assigned the Kings.
The problem is, he is good at writing but awful at insights. In the end you always get a well made reframed read of things you already know.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
The problem is, he is good at writing but awful at insights. In the end you always get a well made reframed read of things you already know.
I don't find his writing particularly strong. He essentially regurgitates dated information with bland and unprovocative framing. I'm not saying he needs to be controversial per se, but he never really says anything.

I guess it's fine if all you want is unbiased and structured recaps of events already covered by other journalists, but it's not my cup of tea.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Just throwing in my opinion here. I appreciate Eric's articles. I'd been reading them since he was at the Register, and between him and what they'd post from the LA Times, I preferred him every time.

When he moved over to The Athletic, I subscribed, and it appeared that the constraints he had while at the Register were removed and he was allowed to write as much as he wanted, and say certain things he didn't (wouldn't? couldn't?) before. Not that he wrote anything (or needs to write anything) controversial, but the content was deeper than before, and it was nice to read.

I will admit, lack of general content for the Ducks probably also plays a role. I don't read content for other teams (usually) so I can't compare quality of their beat writers. There are definitely parts of me that wishes that Eric would write more about what he's actually thinking, because it seems clear sometimes that he's still holding back. Maybe it's not wanting to seem mean, or fear of reprisal of some type, but I feel it's obvious he's not saying some things.

It's nice to see a newer face providing content, and content that had some obvious effort applied. It's obvious Derek loves the Ducks, and I think he's excited with his role/job, where Eric at this point is probably a lot more of "hey it's a job..." though he's been doing it for so long, I can understand also. That said, and I'm not trying to take anything away from Derek, but that Nesterenko article, while good and covered a good portion of his hockey career thus far, wasn't anything that blew me away. Not that the general topic is one that would do that, so I wasn't expecting to be.

TL;DR I think Eric serves a purpose and fills a gap in our media coverage, and while we probably all wish for more from him in various ways, I'm fine in general with what he brings. I do feel he got screwed over by The Athletic by having to cover 2 teams though.

*edit* I can agree that his writing isn't exactly "strong" like FiveHole said, but I guess I have less problems with Eric's content than others...I also just accept most things as they are.

Last edited:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't find his writing particularly strong. He essentially regurgitates dated information with bland and unprovocative framing. I'm not saying he needs to be controversial per se, but he never really says anything.

I guess it's fine if all you want is unbiased and structured recaps of events already covered by other journalists, but it's not my cup of tea.
100%. Forming nice flowing sentences is not good or insightful writing. I stopped reading his articles, but when I did i only read the quotes from players/coaches/scouts or whomever. nothing else in those articles is particularly insightful and like you said he never speculates or takes a strong stand.

he has taken sides on issues before, but it's always been a stance that basically every fan would agree with.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
100%. Forming nice flowing sentences is not good or insightful writing. I stopped reading his articles, but when I did i only read the quotes from players/coaches/scouts or whomever. nothing else in those articles is particularly insightful and like you said he never speculates or takes a strong stand.

he has taken sides on issues before, but it's always been a stance that basically every fan would agree with.
He just comes across as towing the line. I can understand that (to a certain extent) in that it's self preservation, but it does the complete opposite of engaging the reader. I often find myself having to go back to re-read paragraphs because my mind drifts off to La La Land.

One of the more annoying things he does is he'll state the obvious, pose the obvious question in response, then leave the subject completely. Like, what's the point of that?

Reactions: Mr Rogers

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Just throwing in my opinion here. I appreciate Eric's articles. I'd been reading them since he was at the Register, and between him and what they'd post from the LA Times, I preferred him every time.

When he moved over to The Athletic, I subscribed, and it appeared that the constraints he had while at the Register were removed and he was allowed to write as much as he wanted, and say certain things he didn't (wouldn't? couldn't?) before. Not that he wrote anything (or needs to write anything) controversial, but the content was deeper than before, and it was nice to read.

I will admit, lack of general content for the Ducks probably also plays a role. I don't read content for other teams (usually) so I can't compare quality of their beat writers. There are definitely parts of me that wishes that Eric would write more about what he's actually thinking, because it seems clear sometimes that he's still holding back. Maybe it's not wanting to seem mean, or fear of reprisal of some type, but I feel it's obvious he's not saying some things.

It's nice to see a newer face providing content, and content that had some obvious effort applied. It's obvious Derek loves the Ducks, and I think he's excited with his role/job, where Eric at this point is probably a lot more of "hey it's a job..." though he's been doing it for so long, I can understand also. That said, and I'm not trying to take anything away from Derek, but that Nesterenko article, while good and covered a good portion of his hockey career thus far, wasn't anything that blew me away. Not that the general topic is one that would do that, so I wasn't expecting to be.

TL;DR I think Eric serves a purpose and fills a gap in our media coverage, and while we probably all wish for more from him in various ways, I'm fine in general with what he brings. I do feel he got screwed over by The Athletic by having to cover 2 teams though.

*edit* I can agree that his writing isn't exactly "strong" like FiveHole said, but I guess I have less problems with Eric's content than others...I also just accept most things as they are.
I agree that his transition from OC Register to The Athletic seemed to untether him initially, but it didn't last very long.

Reactions: branmuffin17

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
He just comes across as towing the line. I can understand that (to a certain extent) in that it's self preservation, but it does the complete opposite of engaging the reader. I often find myself having to go back to re-read paragraphs because my mind drifts off to La La Land.

One of the more annoying things he does is he'll state the obvious, pose the obvious question in response, then leave the subject completely. Like, what's the point of that?
I think that’s the best way to summarize it at the end of the day. A team knows there’s gonna be a certain level of criticism from members of the media and it would almost be weird if there wasn’t. Stephens never goes beyond that very surface level amount of criticism, nothing that would ever appear on the team’s radar. He’s hovered in that sweet spot forever and will continue to do so.

I bet the team likes how he never really puts anything out there. Whether that’s because he just has very few sources or is just very cooperative and risk averse, who knows. I think it’s probably some of both. He definitely seems to value a long-standing relationship with the team and his employer over going for big stories where he can break some big news but sticks his neck out there at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad