Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov - Part 3

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kucherov will be sitting in a rocking chair in his 80s, telling his grandkids how his first NHL goal was set up by the great Teddy Purcell.
Classic Teddy Purcell play too -- throws the puck blindly into the middle of the ice.

Even back then, Kucherov could think three steps ahead.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Kucherov will be sitting in a rocking chair in his 80s, telling his grandkids how his first NHL goal was set up by the great Teddy Purcell.
He is going to tell his grandkids the Tampa tax loophole and ltir cheats. All the Young Russian players will come over with these skills .

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
He has a legit chance to hit 100 assists and 150 points. Ottawa, Washington, Buffalo, and Toronto, three of those at home. MacKinnon has Winnipeg, Vegas, and Edmonton to close out his season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He has a legit chance to hit 100 assists and 150 points. Ottawa, Washington, Buffalo, and Toronto, three of those at home. MacKinnon has Winnipeg, Vegas, and Edmonton to close out his season.
Needs 4 assists in 4 games, which obviously he is pacing to do.

150 would be a stretch. It would require taking his current hot streak to insane lengths.like 20 points in 7 games or something (counting 9 in his last 3)

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Needs 4 assists in 4 games, which obviously he is pacing to do.

150 would be a stretch. It would require taking his current hot streak to insane lengths.like 20 points in 7 games or something (counting 9 in his last 3)
He's at 139 right now. He has 12 points in his last four. Stretch? Not really. It'll be difficult but he's got a legitimate chance to hit it.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Nikita Kucherov recorded his 23rd three-point game in 2023-24 and became the seventh different player in NHL history with as many instances in a single season. He joined Wayne Gretzky (10x; most 40 in 1984-85 & 1985-86), Mario Lemieux (4x; most 35 in 1988-89), Phil Esposito (25 in 1970-71), Steve Yzerman (25 in 1988-89), Bernie Nicholls (24 in 1988-89) and Jaromir Jagr (25 in 1995-96).
Nikita Kucherov recorded three assists and now has 43-96—139 in 2023-24, which tied Peter Stastny (46-93—139 in 1981-82) for the second-most points in a single season by a player born outside of North America. The only skater with more is Jaromir Jagr (62-87—149 in 1995-96).

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't care as much if he breaks 150 than just to get the 100 assists. It's an "Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux" record. And on the other hand (if he got the 100 assists) it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Kucherov didn't just say "screw it" and started a plight next year for 65 goals (even though that isn't really his game) and didn't just end up with the 150 points that way

Last edited:

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I honestly feel like he's played most of this season pissed off after the Toronto series loss. He didn't play especially well and had a glorious backhand chance off the rush to win Game 3 in OT which Samsonov saved. Point getting boarded and Vasilevskiy being a sieve didn't help, but the Stamkos-Point-Kucherov line didn't play especially well 5v5 in that series.

He's been dialed in all year, really can only say the same about Hagel and maybe Hedman (offensively).

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't care as much if he breaks 150 than just to get the 100 assists. It's an "Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux" record. And on the other hand (if he got the 100 assists) it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Kucherov didn't just say "screw it" and started a plight next year for 65 goals (even though that isn't really his game) and didn't just end up with the 150 points that way
If Stamkos does leave, he's gonna have to be a 50 goal scorer next year and take the reigns as the goal scorer of the team as opposed to how it's a split between Point and Stammer now

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
This Empty net talk is funny: Kucherov is MVP this yr, splitting-hairs won't change that

Is Kucherov the only player getting EN opportunities in NHL or something?
  • How many EN opportunities -vs- How many EN points made?
  • Not much EN difference between top 2 scorers? 14 point -vs- 8 points = 6 points

Hmm... Gotta have lead, wonder if Kuch helps with all that? Gotta have trust of coach, he does. Who are EN'ers against? Facing 4 on 6 is at disadvantage where we come from and it's why most NHL fans back-end clinches-up when facing 6-4 to seal games. Shoot, this might be tough stat to get to bottom of with so many variables.

Last edited:
Reactions: Outl4w

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
MacKinnon had 4 points last night. :(

Can't he just buzz off. He's already getting the Hart (they'll never pick a Russian over a Canadian). Let Kuch take the Ross at the very least

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I honestly feel like he's played most of this season pissed off after the Toronto series loss. He didn't play especially well and had a glorious backhand chance off the rush to win Game 3 in OT which Samsonov saved. Point getting boarded and Vasilevskiy being a sieve didn't help, but the Stamkos-Point-Kucherov line didn't play especially well 5v5 in that series.

He's been dialed in all year, really can only say the same about Hagel and maybe Hedman (offensively).
I think we just need him more. More minutes, more PP minutes, and the first ever Absolute 100% Green Light Jon Cooper has likely ever issued. Kuch could try a pass that defies the laws of physics, only to have it end up in the back of our net, and he'd play all two minutes of the next power play.

This Empty net talk is funny: Kucherov is MVP this yr, splitting-hairs won't change that

Is Kucherov the only player getting EN opportunities in NHL or something?
  • How many EN opportunities -vs- How many EN points made?
  • Not much EN difference between top 2 scorers? 14 point -vs- 8 points = 6 points

Hmm... Gotta have lead, wonder if Kuch helps with all that? Gotta have trust of coach, he does. Who are EN'ers against? Facing 4 on 6 is at disadvantage where we come from and it's why most NHL fans back-end clinches-up when facing 6-4 to seal games. Shoot, this might be tough stat to get to bottom of with so many variables.
I would like to see numbers on how rarely we scored ENGs before Cooper started using him in that situation. I feel like in years' past Kucherov wasn't one of our guys, and now that he is, suddenly we're closing out games with a goal rather than dodging bullets until the final second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad