WJC: Nikita Gusev WJC watch

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
The thread was renamed

Anyways, I am sort of putting my reputation on the line but I totally loved Nikita Gusev in the Subway Superseries this year. He played like a man against boys. His passing skills were unmatched by anyone at the tournament. He is undersized and went undrafted last year but so was Datsyuk, who was undrafted @ 18 and was drafted by Detroit the following year.

I had a brief chat with the Russian coach and I went on for 3 minutes about how well Nikita played at the Superseries and the coach quietly smiled, sort of approving my blabbing.

Anyways, Gusev is totally on my watch, I expect him to perform well at the highest level, I hope he stays healthy for the remainder of the tournament so he can show his vision and passing skills. I expect him to be in Russia's top 3 in point totals (not easy considering Russia's offensive depth), get noticed by the scouts and GM's and be drafted by the Red Wings, that's the only organization that can deal with the prospect like that.

Ag_L0J8CQAAh-_B.jpg

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Looking forward to getting my first viewings of Gusev during the WJHC. Hopefully he can live up to the hype.

And I'd say Burmistrov's game more resembles Datsyuk's than Anisimov's.

Fulcrum

Anyways, I am sort of putting my reputation on the line but I totally loved Nikita Gusev in the Subway Superseries this year. He played like a man against boys. His passing skills were unmatched by anyone at the tournament. He is undersized and went undrafted last year but so was Datsyuk, who was undrafted @ 18 and was drafted by Detroit the following year.

I had a brief chat with the Russian coach and I went on for 3 minutes about how well Nikita played at the Superseries and the coach quietly smiled, sort of approving my blabbing.

Anyways, Gusev is totally on my watch, I expect him to perform well at the highest level, I hope he stays healthy for the remainder of the tournament so he can show his vision and passing skills. I expect him to be in Russia's top 3 in point totals (not easy considering Russia's offensive depth), get noticed by the scouts and GM's and be drafted by the Red Wings, that's the only organization that can deal with the prospect like that.

There's no question this guy is absolutely a wizard with the puck. I couldn't agree more with you on that.

The big difference, I think you might be forgetting, between him and Datsyuk is his Defensive game. He has a LONG way to go in that department to be put on the same track as Datsyuk.

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
There's no question this guy is absolutely a wizard with the puck. I couldn't agree more with you on that.

The big difference, I think you might be forgetting, between him and Datsyuk is his Defensive game. He has a LONG way to go in that department to be put on the same track as Datsyuk.

Well, Datsyuk was not as good defensively when he was came to the NHL as he is now. By no means I can compare prospect in Gusev to present Datsyuk. I should rename the thread into Nikita Gusev watch.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Anisimov? Burmi is way more skilled/slipprier and a better two-way player than Anisimov. Don't think any of these guys will match Datsyuk for points though and consistency but maybe playing style.

Fulcrum

Well, Datsyuk was not as good defensively when he was came to the NHL as he is now. By no means I can compare prospect in Gusev to present Datsyuk. I should rename the thread into Nikita Gusev watch.

I think you should rename, not to mention they play different positions as well.

I think more accurately, at worst- he'll be like Samsonov. At best, Makarov or Krutov type- but that's a very bold statement.

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
I think you should rename, not to mention they play different positions as well.

I think more accurately, at worst- he'll be like Samsonov. At best, Makarov or Krutov type- but that's a very bold statement.

Well, that's why it is bold. I know that the chances are really low but he was nothing short of impressive at the SSS. I would say he was the most dominant Russian player in the history of this tournament.

Kaktus*

I did not think he was THAT good on D. I mean he is great offensive prospect but calling him Dansyuk is pushing it.

Fulcrum

Well, that's why it is bold. I know that the chances are really low but he was nothing short of impressive at the SSS. I would say he was the most dominant Russian player in the history of this tournament.

He's 19, and he still has not made a transition to adult hockey. That is still one major obstacle that he has to get by before even being called a full fledged professional hockey player. I mean look at Filatov, he STILL has not made full transition to playing the top leagues. Some players take more time and some don't get there at all, even the most talented.

Believe me, personally, I think he is extremely talented and he is one my favorite prospects. But that shouldn't cloud our judgement.

cenas*

Anisimov? Burmi is way more skilled/slipprier and a better two-way player than Anisimov. Don't think any of these guys will match Datsyuk for points though and consistency but maybe playing style.

Anisimov is playing on the Rangers 1st line and handling a lot of the defensive aspects of the game for that line.. I don't think you have watched enough of Anisimov if you are doubting his 2 way play.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Ya I'm sure I'll WATCH him disappear against the big hard to play against teams.

Like he did against the big, bad WHL all star teams in the Super Series? Heheheh. You sure are a silly goose. He toyed with those over-matched young men.

Gusev will be one of the stars of the WJC.

Fulcrum

Gusev's line carried the team against CZE. Interesting part is that Kuznetsov did not even get on the scoresheet, but I'm sure his time will come.

Fulcrum

Awesome video! Almost all of his goals are highlight material.

The only thing I would add is his long drop pass for Kucherov's breakaway in the last SSS game. That was unreal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad