Confirmed with Link: Nico Sturm traded for Tyson Jost

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Hi, I'm an Avs fan too and I respectfully disagree with most of this. Unless he turns a BIG corner and stays there, he's a *decent* 4th liner. That's it. Just turned 24 this week so I really don't think there's much room at all to develop.

Stand-up guy who will give it his all every shift, and easily likeable. His backstory is one that made every Avs fan root for him...a shame it just didn't work out.

Skating is a gigantic issue, because it prevents him from utilizing anything else from his skill set. Defensively sound but absolutely no ability to create offense. You're going to learn very quickly when the puck lands on his stick, not much is going to happen either way. Doesn't have the size or speed to create enough separation to do anything offensively, and while his hockey sense is good, it's not good enough to offset those two issues. His shot isn't anything to write home about either.

Then again, y'alls team turned Ryan Hartman from a bottom six scrappy winger into a legit star center, so anything is possible. Either way, I'm glad he's getting a fresh start. He needs it.
Great, sounds like we got a half priced Rask for another year. I was getting real concerned over losing Rask...

Reactions: Pokecheque

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If they like what they see down the stretch, I bet they try and sign him to a chandler Stephenson type deal.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So does Bjugstad or Jost center the 4th line now?

Last 20 games:
Freddy G. +4, .75 ppg rate. He's not being moved from Fiala/Boldy
Hartman -9, .55 ppg rate. He turned into a pumpkin for a lot of that stretch (5p in 15 games), but does have 6p in his last 7 games.
JEE -4 .5ppg rate. He's not being moved from the GREEF line now that it's (finally) healthy again.

Guerin just said that they are going to "ease" Jost into the line-up.....meaning he'll probably start on the 4th line and we'll see what happens from there. I don't think Gaudreau's numbers are sustainable, so my guess if he does move up in the line-up it will probably be to center Boldy and Fiala.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Guerin just said that they are going to "ease" Jost into the line-up.....meaning he'll probably start on the 4th line and we'll see what happens from there. I don't think Gaudreau's numbers are sustainable, so my guess if he does move up in the line-up it will probably be to center Boldy and Fiala.

I mean Freddy Gaudreau turns 29 in a month, his previous high points was 10 and games played was 55. Jost just turned 24 yesterday, was a highly-touted prospect and played a depth role on a team that has the best top-six in the league. I have zero problem giving this kid a try with Kap/Zuccs or Fiala/Boldy. Like Hartman, he was drafted to be much more than a 4th liner. Sometimes a guy just needs a little time and the right opportunity. I like Gaudreau but betting on upside is the right bet.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Great, sounds like we got a half priced Rask for another year. I was getting real concerned over losing Rask...
You mean the guy who is outproducing Rossi down in Iowa?

Anyway, hate the trade, because it means that Guerin will not even attempt to re-sign Fiala. I liked Sturm a lot, but they didn't for reasons that baffle me, but at this point I don't have a clue as far as Guerin's direction for the team going forward. I hope I am eating crow in a year when Jost a is a solid #3C scoring at a 40-45 pt. pace...

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Only if Freddy G gets injured. I don't like him in the 3C spot, but the coach really does.

Jost is just another overpaid 11/12/13 FWD for GMBG to add to his collection.

This trade is on par with all of the GMCF 2nd/3rd for depth players trades. It adds more cap next year for a roster spot can be filled with a $1m or less cap hit. Sturm walking as a UFA is better than this trade.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Josty is better at center than the wing. Just…never have him take faceoffs. He’s horrible at them. Like the worst I’ve ever seen.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Well, I don't hate it, and I also don't love it. Seems like they moved a guy who was not going to get re-signed here for a guy that might have some upside left in the right situation.

I don't understand why people are upset about Jost's contract next year costing the Wild their ability to sign Fiala. Didn't signing Greenway already do that? Or is every contract between then and next season the one that's costing us Fiala? Fiala is going to cost more than the Wild would have available unless they were to gut the team of most of its depth to keep him. We really in a hurry to be an older version of the Oilers?

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Jost isn't a player I would've committed cap space to for next season at this point in time. Sturm leaving, indifferent on that, Evason's playing Dewar over him now and he'll cost too much next year.

Reactions: Satch and Wabit

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Not seeing much if any upside to this…

Cons:
- more expensive
- worse at faceoffs
- smaller
- less points

Pros:
- younger
- warm body next year

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
This sums up my opinion on the trade:
We.gif

Reactions: zellmatic

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I think far too many people on this board are giving significance to this right now. The guy was drafted 10th overall, and was playing behind Mackinnon and Kadri. Give the kid a chance...

For all we know he could end up being better than all our centers

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Jost will wear #10 for the Wild, if anyone cares about that stuff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad