Nickelodeon All Star Brawl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Honestly if the lag isn’t debilitating on the PS and XS like Smash is on the Switch, that could be a huge advantage and way to build a big community.
Potentially but it would still take more than that. The game looks fine but I wouldn't say it looks amazing. And again, the lack of voice acting kinda sucks the life out of it.

Also those renders of Korra and Aang look really derpy.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Potentially but it would still take more than that. The game looks fine but I wouldn't say it looks amazing. And again, the lack of voice acting kinda sucks the life out of it.

Also those renders of Korra and Aang look really derpy.

I think it’ll depend a lot on how tight the combat is (obviously). I played some knockoff version of Smash on the PS4 last year, forgot what it was called, and the combat wasn’t crisp. Not as smooth or free-flowing as people have come to expect from Smash Ultimate. It shows in a huge way. The game goes from being super fun to a lame gimmick real quick if the combat sucks.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think it’ll depend a lot on how tight the combat is (obviously). I played some knockoff version of Smash on the PS4 last year, forgot what it was called, and the combat wasn’t crisp. Not as smooth or free-flowing as people have come to expect from Smash Ultimate. It shows in a huge way. The game goes from being super fun to a lame gimmick real quick if the combat sucks.

Brawlhalla?

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Smash ultimate is anything but smooth and free flowing

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Im really excited for this, the world needs a real smash competitor so that nintendo actually starts caring about making their games competitive again. Wavedashing being in this game is amazing already

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Im really excited for this, the world needs a real smash competitor so that nintendo actually starts caring about making their games competitive again. Wavedashing being in this game is amazing already
Smash has always been competitive, not sure what you mean by that. This game can succeed but it also has a good chance of falling by the wayside early.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Smash has always been competitive, not sure what you mean by that. This game can succeed but it also has a good chance of falling by the wayside early.
Nintendo has actively harmed the competitive scene while also dumbing down their games to try to take away the skill difference among players to keep it a casual party game. Theres a reason melee is still going as strong as it is

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Is it just me or are the graphics extremely off-putting?

I honestly thought this game was a joke game the first time I saw a trailer....

Not saying it won't be good, but I was shocked.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nintendo has actively harmed the competitive scene while also dumbing down their games to try to take away the skill difference among players to keep it a casual party game. Theres a reason melee is still going as strong as it is
Gee, it's almost like their goal is to sell the game and not appease the minority. The competitive scene makes up a very small amount of Smash fans. Melee goes on strong because people refuse to move on despite being an unbalanced mess of a game itself. Seriously, at least 3/4 of the roster is completely unviable in the competitive scene. Meanwhile, MKLeo makes Byleth, an otherwise near bottom tier character, look like a God.

Last edited:

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Gee, it's almost like their goal is to sell the game and not appease the minority. The competitive scene makes up a very small amount of Smash fans. Melee goes on strong because people refuse to move on despite being an unbalanced mess of a game itself. Seriously, at least 3/4 of the roster is completely unviable in the competitive scene. Meanwhile, MKLeo makes Byleth, an otherwise near bottom tier character, look like a God.
You could sell the game while not making it feel like absolute garbage to play for the competitive scene? They're not mutually exclusive, I promise you many other esports manage to cater to both. Why would people move on from melee when every smash game since has been horrible to play for them? Thats why a lot of that community is losing it over this game, it could be what smash ultimate could be if Nintendo kept competitive features instead of removing mechanics like wavedashing/dashdancing.

Also, keeping the game alive for a competitive scene is how you get longevity. The casuals arent the ones that will be promoting the game 5 years down the line, theyre the ones that would stop playing after a month anyway. Nintendo has shown not only that they dont want to promote that, but that they want to actively harm that scene cause god forbid somebody thinks of smash as more than a childrens party game

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You could sell the game while not making it feel like absolute garbage to play for the competitive scene? They're not mutually exclusive, I promise you many other esports manage to cater to both. Why would people move on from melee when every smash game since has been horrible to play for them? Thats why a lot of that community is losing it over this game, it could be what smash ultimate could be if Nintendo kept competitive features instead of removing mechanics like wavedashing/dashdancing.

Also, keeping the game alive for a competitive scene is how you get longevity. The casuals arent the ones that will be promoting the game 5 years down the line, theyre the ones that would stop playing after a month anyway. Nintendo has shown not only that they dont want to promote that, but that they want to actively harm that scene cause god forbid somebody thinks of smash as more than a childrens party game
The only thing the competitive scene bitches about is the online which wouldn't be a huge issue if not for the pandemic. Smash was always a casual game right from the very beginning, and Melee has aged terribly in many ways. Give me more Byleth and less Fox/Marth for the 70,000th time. Giving a game wavedashing doesn't automatically make it better. Go ahead and look up "Icons: Combat Arena" because it's basically like a re-skinned Melee and sure enough nobody played it.

The casuals are the reason SSBU has sold about 24 million copies, not the competitive scene.

This game can be good but it needs more than just Melee physics. Alts and voice acting would be a good start.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Refunded it within 20 minutes.

No cross plat, no cross gen (really dude?) And the controls are an abomination.

How are you gonna make a smash like and not have the ability to stick jump? Because the sweaty melee losers you clearly are chasing don't like to stick jump? Especially when damm near every fighter that had a competitive scene also uses up on the stick/d pad as jump

Refunded it. This game will be dead within a couple weeks

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I was excited when I heard about it but the graphics and animations look really rough. Things just look off and weird to me. Same kind of feeling when I saw MvC: Infinite, if people aren't into the art style in a fighting game it's really tough to grow the community.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Watching the smash con tourny, this game looks so cool. The movement looks really crisp and the combat seems fast paced, art style looks really cool too. Excited to try it at some point

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
All alt costumes added, along with some buffs/nerfs. The fact that they had costumes ready to go so soon after release makes me think the game was rushed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad