Music: Nickelback

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I get the hate--but I like them and one thing they did that other Canadian bands failed at

1) Played every shit gig they could find for ten years
2) Turned up to play live at any radio station that wanted them--They played outside of Rock 101 at 6am one morning and fox at like 10
3) They came from the Vancouver bar scene--the played places like the town pump and lamplighter in gastown and every dive in Richmond and surrey
4) Their first 2 trips down south? They paid for them as the record company did not want to foot the bill
5) Both brothers understood the business side and used it to their advantage--they played a lot of gigs on the cuff to make connections and kept in contact with people they met doing uni gigs as those people went into mainstream jobs

I am also an ACDC/Nazareth fan so--these guys are in the same style as them

Reactions: HknAndn and chaos4

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
My opinion, they were corny & derivative.. and were given a lot of grief for that. But they wrote some really good singles, and hopefully will be remembered respectfully for their music, and not for their image. Music fans can be cruel tho..

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I don't like them but I don't care enough to hate them or poke fun at them or people who like them like a lot of others do. Music is a personal taste and I really don't care what people choose to listen to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Langdon Alger

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I like a few songs here and there and respect their grind but I don't like them enough to buy an album. What does make me laugh is almost everyone seems to say they hate them and you have all the jokes about them but they still have sold over 50M albums and sell out shows all the time. So somebody must like them!

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
not really a fan.
But the hate they get is from people who also hate other musicians like Justin Beiber is becasue they have nothing better to do.
Like the grown man hating on the Biebs who probably has a son in his early twenties playing video games until the wee hours of the morning and has zero skills aside from going to the seven eleven for a bottle of coke and bag of chips.
I don't like their music. Beiber seems like a cool guy as does Kroeger. I judge them by that. There are other bands that I dislike more than them, but I am not goign to go out of my way telling people that I don't like them.
We all have our own tastes. I'm a grown man who has two teens and I think 1989 by Taylor Swift is a great album and generally not what I listen too
Never got the hate. Turn the channel or volume down.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
They're a horrible band. They just happened to become people's go to band to rip on, there's plenty of even worse music out there.

Reactions: kihei

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I liked some of their early stuff but that is all i really remember. I never cared beyond that because they were just unmemorable so i never understood the love or hate they received.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I only know 3 of their songs (How You Remind Me, Leader Of Men, Rockstar), and don't mind any of them. I actually really like Leader Of Men

And Kroeger's Hero for the Spider-Man move would crack my top 50 favorite tunes

With that said, there's something unlikable about Kroeger. They guy's pushing 50, has had major plastic surgery done at some point, and is still trying to rock the goatee and frosted tips look like it's 1997. He just seems like such as a poser!

553ac3f5631ba1bc09757a4f69096b7f.jpg

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
They are largely boring and bland. They sound like a 5th generation watered-down version of a mid-tempo grunge band. Like many people who don't care for them, I only know very few of their songs. What about them would make me want to dig deeper? I mean, the lyrcis for Photograph are bad.

Obviously some people like them. And honestly, good on them for all that hard work early on. I respect that, but not their music. And there is nothing wrong with a little snark thrown towards them and their fans. It's just music, after all. There is room for some criticism, and that's inevitable with the amount of music they've sold.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
They're in that Foo Fighters Pearl Jam tier of mediocre music for me, but for whatever reason seem to get a lot more hate. Even mediocre music is hard to make for so long. Not really my cup of tea but I won't jump to change the station if they're on like I would with most top 40 country.

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
I get the hate--but I like them and one thing they did that other Canadian bands failed at

1) Played every shit gig they could find for ten years
2) Turned up to play live at any radio station that wanted them--They played outside of Rock 101 at 6am one morning and fox at like 10
3) They came from the Vancouver bar scene--the played places like the town pump and lamplighter in gastown and every dive in Richmond and surrey
4) Their first 2 trips down south? They paid for them as the record company did not want to foot the bill
5) Both brothers understood the business side and used it to their advantage--they played a lot of gigs on the cuff to make connections and kept in contact with people they met doing uni gigs as those people went into mainstream jobs

I am also an ACDC/Nazareth fan so--these guys are in the same style as them
The like is for the mention of Nazareth.
I like some Nickelback tunes, but they can't carry Nazareth's briefcase.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
They're a horrible band. They just happened to become people's go to band to rip on, there's plenty of even worse music out there.
Could not agree more. I am very definitely not a fan, but I don't think they are like the antichrist of rock bands or anything. The disdain they received became like a form of cultural group think. People jumped on them because other people jumped on them and it just became like a hive mind, a mob.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
They are what they are, just another version of Arena Rock. They're no different than Journey or Bon Jovi, they just get hated on because it's a cool meme bandwagon to jump on.

Catchy songs with no real depth or musical complexity. Which frankly is a skill, not everyone can pump out popular songs

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I hated them before it was cool to do so. Since the hate for them hit the mainstream I had to stop hating them. But seriouy it's not that I actually hated them but I couldn't figure out how people could like them enough to be a fan because they sound bland to me.But the one thing I didn't appreciate is when Dave Grohl made a Nickelback joke because there is one band that's even more bland than Nickelback and that's effin Foo Fighters.

I liked their performance at the 2010 Olympics.

Cool story: they play Metallica songs better than Metallica lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Baby Punisher

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
They have some catchy songs, another band id add is Creed

Their first album is still good

I hated them before it was cool to do so. Since the hate for them hit the mainstream I had to stop hating them. But seriouy it's not that I actually hated them but I couldn't figure out how people could like them enough to be a fan because they sound bland to me.But the one thing I didn't appreciate is when Dave Grohl made a Nickelback joke because there is one band that's even more bland than Nickelback and that's effin Foo Fighters.

I liked their performance at the 2010 Olympics.

YES.

I’ll never understand how Foo Fighters have such a big fanbase. Is it because he was the drummer for Nirvana?

Their music is some of the most vanilla and by the basics stuff I’ve ever heard

I miss LIVE....Throwing Copper is one of the best albums ever produced

Their drop off after Secret Samadhi is noticeable though

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
YES.

I’ll never understand how Foo Fighters have such a big fanbase. Is it because he was the drummer for Nirvana?

Their music is some of the most vanilla and by the basics stuff I’ve ever heard
The Nirvana connection sure has to do with it. But also I think Dave Grohl has a personality that's much appreciated by the people he meets in the media so they pump his tires more than he (his music) deserves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad