OT: Nickelback or Blink 182. I'm torn. My wife and I want to go to both... Can only afford one

Blink or Nickelback to see live?

• Blink

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Nickelback

Votes: 24 46.2%

• Total voters

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I used to be a big Nickelback fan back in the day. Their first two albums are great. Even Silver Side Up was pretty good. But they just got bigger and more mainstream and Chad Kroeger just became a dick.

But I don't care what anyone says. They will blow the f***ing roof off of whatever venue they're playing. They know how to put on a hell of a rock show. Some of the best pyro you'll see at a show. They have a bunch of radio friendly songs for the ladies which slows it down a bit, but good god damn do they pound live, no joke. People can mock, but experience it for yourself at least once and find out. If you're asking the question at all it means there's obviously a part of you that wants to see them.

I always thought Blink sounded like shit live, compared to their albums.

Reactions: Aerchon

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I used to be a big Nickelback fan back in the day. Their first two albums are great. Even Silver Side Up was pretty good. But they just got bigger and more mainstream and Chad Kroeger just became a dick.

But I don't care what anyone says. They will blow the f***ing roof off of whatever venue they're playing. They know how to put on a hell of a rock show. Some of the best pyro you'll see at a show. They have a bunch of radio friendly songs for the ladies which slows it down a bit, but good god damn do they pound live, no joke. People can mock, but experience it for yourself at least once and find out. If you're asking the question at all it means there's obviously a part of you that wants to see them.

I always thought Blink sounded like shit live, compared to their albums.
Haha this should be an interesting thread. Wife and I are going to see Nickleback. Never have and I want to experience their show. I know it will be good. I’m also going to see Jimmy Buffet before we head north for home in April here in Phoenix. Saw ZZ Top in December at an outdoor venue and also went to Pasadena CA to see Jackson Browne play an intimate set at in a church. It was a surreal, show to be that close and intimate with such a renowned artist of the times.

1675091520281.jpeg

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Haha this should be an interesting thread. Wife and I are going to see Nickleback. Never have and I want to experience their show. I know it will be good. I’m also going to see Jimmy Buffet before we head north for home in April here in Phoenix. Saw ZZ Top in December at an outdoor venue and also went to Pasadena CA to see Jackson Browne play an intimate set at in a church. It was a surreal, show to be that close and intimate with such a renowned artist of the times.

View attachment 643836
I got to see ZZ Top in front of like 1200 people in Prince George years ago. It was f***in awesome. Front row on the floor was sort of wasted because they basically just stood there, but hot damn did they deliver.

And I'll forever maintain Nickelback is worth seeing at least once.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I got to see ZZ Top in front of like 1200 people in Prince George years ago. It was f***in awesome. Front row on the floor was sort of wasted because they basically just stood there, but hot damn did they deliver.

And I'll forever maintain Nickelback is worth seeing at least once.
Nice. I had seen ZZ before as well. This show was with their new bassist. He was Dusty’s long time guitar tech and before he passed I guess he told the guys in the band this was his replacement . The guy looks and fits in so good with Billy and Frank, although he’s a more hip, newer version of the bearded guys. Looking forward to NB!

Reactions: GOilers88

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Been to both.

Not a big fan of either band.

Nick always has a good show. As mentioned they know how to work the crowd and put on a rock concert.

Blink is... ok.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think Blink has a pretty superior song catalogue.

But not really surprised to hear that their not a great live show. Other than the drummer, they're probably not great musicians. Probably hard to make the nostalgia come back when you're 30-40 as well.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We already have our Metallica tickets for 2024, it cost a fortune for good seats. Nickelback and Blink are both coming up and I can only afford to purchase tix to one of them.
Metallica and you're good. you realize that your tickets get you into two shows right?

Just a mention too late that it doesn't really matter where your seats are at Commonwealth. Metallica do an awesome stadium type show and you'll see everything and hear everything from everywhere. I sometimes find with the stadium shows and laser lights and stuff its actually better to be further away and see the whole spectacle.

Saw Metallica in 2017. We might not go this time and sometimes its because the memories of that show were perfect, and I prefer to keep the recollection there. Lars is decreasing in his drumming ability. Can't play stuff that they've recorded. So its more hit and miss with that.

I'm no Nickelback fan but they would put on a better show than Blink probably does..Nicleback at least understand what a live show is about.

Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just out of curiosity just looked at tickets for both shows. I wonder if people realize how much they're getting ripped for tickets these days. The whole ticketmaster scheme is shambolic and has been in front of courts and lawsuits several times. Their bs continues unabated. for both shows all "cheap seats" are sold out and only available for resale where people are gouging hard.

So that going to either show costs hundreds of bucks. More for Nickelback. 300buck minimum now for that show. There are some singles sprinkled around upper tier, thats it. Recommend buying later if at all, not now.

For example I could have paid 200bucks for Metallica well in advance. By nearer to show time got tickets for 50 bucks each reduced. Same thing with Smashing Pumpkins a few years back. Got great DRL seats that somehow came available days before the show. 45bucks each. Great show. We were dead center looking right at stage.

Heres a suggestion. Rather than seeing Nickelback in Edmonton at really expensive prices just run back to Saskatoon and get tickets for as low as 82bucks. They've sold hardly any there. The Saskatoon show is way cheaper for the same show. So that you travel, do hotel, make a trip out of it for less cost.

Winnipeg seats are 65bucks. lol. Edmonton getting gouged here due to demand apparently.

Even Vancouver lowest price tickets are 74 bucks. They are 300 in Edmonton, for the same show.

edit: just minutes ago they released more seats at Rogers for Nickelback, 88bucks but BEHIND the stage. I would try to pay with all Nickels and see what ticketmaster says.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think Blink has a pretty superior song catalogue.

But not really surprised to hear that their not a great live show. Other than the drummer, they're probably not great musicians. Probably hard to make the nostalgia come back when you're 30-40 as well.
When you're 30-40 its all about the nostalgia. The I was young once vibes are still fresh. By my age its f*** it, whats up to do now?

Much of the reason bands are out at all in later life is just trying to redo their past and making money. Most bands seminal work occurs while young and after which they're just a cover band remembering the oldies. ;)

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
For all the shit Nickelback gets they are an excellent live band that have the chops to replicate their studio work. Just based on seeing them 20 years ago.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Is this your vacay stand by? hehe
Have to say that my wife is pretty much the prefect travel companion for me. We both enjoy each others company, but don't need to be clingy 24/7. She loves her shopping, and I love my sports/activities, so from around noon to 6 we do our own thing, and it works great. As for concerts, I've never gone solo, but I probably wouldn't mind it, as for the most part I'm so immersed in the music that I don't pay attention to whose sitting beside me.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Depends. If you think that the song "animal" from Nickelback will get her super frisky then there's your answer. If you guys go to each show by yourselves then she might question if you went to Blink to "meet a girl at the rock show" and the opposite of friskiness will happen. Choose wisely young padawan.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I wouldn't pay to see either, but if I was to pay to see either of the two, it would probably be Nickelback. I have friends who have went to Nickelback shows, and even if the music isn't your cup of tea, the show is always top tier.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
We already have our Metallica tickets for 2024, it cost a fortune for good seats. Nickelback and Blink are both coming up and I can only afford to purchase tix to one of them.
Blink and it's not even close except the fact that I'm not so sure this isn't a "sellout" type tour where their hearts may not be into it but they want to stash a bunch of cash away.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Blink and it's not even close except the fact that I'm not so sure this isn't a "sellout" type tour where their hearts may not be into it but they want to stash a bunch of cash away.
IIRC Marc had cancer so the poor guy probably had to pay a mint for his treatment.

Reactions: bone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad