Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Taking my son to game 6. Let's hope they win the next two to win the OHL championship on home ice! We also attended game 6 of the last series and saw one of Suzuki's great playoff goals, the one where he cleanly beat Tippett with a Spinorama then went top shelf backhand.

The Sleeman Centre in Guelph is an awesome venue and the fans are really into it, especially the Club section. $65 for a pair of tickets, row 8 behind the home bench, with waiter service. Best value in hockey since the $10 standing room tickets at the Forum.

Man, I still can't believe I saw that many playoff games in '86 for so cheap. Bar Bleue or Cock and Bull on Ste. Catherine before and after the game, $10 ticket for the game (maybe it was $12.50 in the playoffs, I can't quite remember). The Habs won the cup in Calgary in game 5 and I had tickets for game 6. I kept the paper tickets instead of returning them for a refund. I lost them somewhere sometime during one of my many moves. I watched game 5 at my parent's house in Beaconsfield with a bunch of friends. Then we headed to Shawn's Pub, then downtown after the win. In the morning, headed to Dorval airport to greet the team but there was fog so the flight was delayed. Stayed on anyway and finally saw the players arrive, and many high fives as they left arrivals.

I'd absolutely love to be there with my son to see Guelph win the championship. It might feel almost as good as that '86 win. And don't even get me started on '93!

I was at the close out game in 2014 when they beat North Bay. Kerby Rychel was their big get at the deadline and he did not disappoint. They had a lot of talent looking back. Jason Dickenson, Robby Fabbri, Brock McGinn, Tyler Bertuzzi, Scott Kosmachuk and Matt Finn. Will be interesting to see where the guys on this squad end up down the road. Gotta think some will have good NHL careers.

As for seeing the close out, it was tremendous, so hoping you see one as well.

Reactions: FormerLurker

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Some nice things to read about him:

In Game 4, Suzuki set a franchise record with his 36th point of the playoffs (Martin St-Pierre had 35 back in 2003-04) while pretty much doing everything as the team’s No. 1 center. Not only did he drive the offense, but he killed penalties, drew penalties and helped shut down Ottawa’s incredibly dangerous line of Tye Felhaber (Dallas), Marco Rossi (2020 draft) and veteran Austen Keating.

He's a full time center in the playoffs and even kills penalties. What a difference from the shuffling around he was going through earlier in the season between wing and center.

His penalty killing was phenomenal in the game I saw against Saginaw. Guelph drew a lot of penalties in that game and he was always on the first wave of the PK. On a few occasions he kept possession for ~30 seconds, carrying the puck into and back out of the Saginaw zone. He drew rounds of applause on a few occasions for his PK work.

He also scored a highlight reel goal in the game, but I think it was mostly his PK work that earned him the first star of the game.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
His penalty killing was phenomenal in the game I saw against Saginaw. Guelph drew a lot of penalties in that game and he was always on the first wave of the PK. On a few occasions he kept possession for ~30 seconds, carrying the puck into and back out of the Saginaw zone. He drew rounds of applause on a few occasions for his PK work.

He also scored a highlight reel goal in the game, but I think it was mostly his PK work that earned him the first star of the game.

Seems like the more games matter, the more he steps up. Was this how he operated in past years? Whatever the case, it's an intriguing tendency.

Also of interest from the referenced piece:

Suzuki centered a line with big, strong wingers Isaac Ratcliffe (Philadelphia) and MacKenzie Entwistle (Chicago) and that trio dominated possession.

“They had the puck and that’s the key,” said Guelph coach George Burnett. “When they have the puck they wear other teams down and they can give us a real momentum swing. They’re big, they’re quick and they’re skilled.

Certainly, skill and quickness from Suzuki's wingers is helping his game. However, the wingers are also described as "strong" and "big", not exactly the prototype of linemates the Habs could provide for Suzuki.

Can Suzuki's game translate to the NHL or even the AHL, without having the benefit of these types of assets complementing him?

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Capture_d%C3%A9cran_2019-05-10_%C3%A0_08.01.25.png

Top 5 point getters in OHL playoffs over the past 10 years.

*thanks Mrb1p for the heads up, forgot to translate the 10-year part.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seems like the more games matter, the more he steps up. Was this how he operated in past years? Whatever the case, it's an intriguing tendency.

Suzuki centered a line with big, strong wingers Isaac Ratcliffe (Philadelphia) and MacKenzie Entwistle (Chicago) and that trio dominated possession.

“They had the puck and that’s the key,” said Guelph coach George Burnett. “When they have the puck they wear other teams down and they can give us a real momentum swing. They’re big, they’re quick and they’re skilled.

Certainly, skill and quickness from Suzuki's wingers is helping his game. However, the wingers are also described as "strong" and "big", not exactly the prototype of linemates the Habs could provide for Suzuki.

Can Suzuki's game translate to the NHL or even the AHL, without having the benefit of these types of assets complementing him?

Biggest issue the Habs are going to have is what big and skilled forwards do we have for Suzuki to play with? This is actually Drouin's problem. I know mentioning Drouin and Suzuki hurts some peoples feelings but this may be an issue with Suzuki unless we find big forwards who also have skill for him to play with. I guess Kotkaneimi and Poehling count in that department so maybe there is a fit with one of them down the road when they are all in the line-up

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Size coupled with skills is definitely a need. The 2nd round should be ripe for that this year with a lot of bigger forwards going in there. Keppen and Holmstrom are two of my favorites.

Reactions: jaffy27

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Top 5 point getters in playoff OHL history.
Great company to be in and he's not done yet.

As for whether he can excel without big wingers? He did so in Owen Sound. I'd put him with an equally skilled player and someone who can win battles down low. Obviously battling isn't Suzuki's forte as he prefers to poach and intercept passes. Put him with one of Shaw, armia, Gally or Lehky and one of Drouin or Tatar.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Great company to be in and he's not done yet.

As for whether he can excel without big wingers? He did so in Owen Sound. I'd put him with an equally skilled player and someone who can win battles down low. Obviously battling isn't Suzuki's forte as he prefers to poach and intercept passes. Put him with one of Shaw, armia, Gally or Lehky and one of Drouin or Tatar.
Tatar and Suzuki with a fast and big player would be really nice.

Reactions: DangerDave

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

Top 5 point getters in playoff OHL history.

Out of curiosity I went through OHL playoffs scorer by year and those 6 are the highest up until 2005-2006 when Rob Schremp had 47 points in 19 games (2.47 ppg). Funny enough, you have to go back to 1998-1999 to find somebody that had more points that McJesus, when Justin Papineau had 51 points in 21 games (2.43 ppg). It seems like in the past being a superstar in the OHL playoffs wasn't an indicator of being good in the NHL, but hopefully that trend has changed in recent years.

As an aside, Mcdavid had 49 in 20 games (2.45 ppg), Marner 44 in 18 (2.44 ppg), Scheifele 41 in 21 (1.95 ppg), Tkachuk 40 in 18 (2.22 ppg) and Debrincat/Suzuki both have 38 in 22 (1.73 ppg).

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Suzuki reminds this old Habs fan of the drive & passion of Max Domi wearing our Team Canada jersey. Absolutely team first mentality, winning being the only thing, team first though!!!...:arr::arr::arr:Beauty players coaches dream about having in their lineup. Habs have many as it was in the dynasty yrs.(50's - 70's) Go Habs Go & Go Guelph Storm Go!!!... yeah Ottawa prospects also LOL!!!...:wave::wave::wave: Isaac are you out there, bring it again next game love this game.

Reactions: DangerDave

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Out of curiosity I went through OHL playoffs scorer by year and those 6 are the highest up until 2005-2006 when Rob Schremp had 47 points in 19 games (2.47 ppg). Funny enough, you have to go back to 1998-1999 to find somebody that had more points that McJesus, when Justin Papineau had 51 points in 21 games (2.43 ppg). It seems like in the past being a superstar in the OHL playoffs wasn't an indicator of being good in the NHL, but hopefully that trend has changed in recent years.

As an aside, Mcdavid had 49 in 20 games (2.45 ppg), Marner 44 in 18 (2.44 ppg), Scheifele 41 in 21 (1.95 ppg), Tkachuk 40 in 18 (2.22 ppg) and Debrincat/Suzuki both have 38 in 22 (1.73 ppg).

Tkachuk is amazing, but that marner 44 and tkachuk 40 are forever connected, still super impressive tho
If Suzuki can manufacture any type of production similar to the paths of these other stars, organizations in great shape

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Tkachuk is amazing, but that marner 44 and tkachuk 40 are forever connected, still super impressive tho
If Suzuki can manufacture any type of production similar to the paths of these other stars, organizations in great shape
He's got at least tao games left pick up more points, and hopefully more... Do Memoroal cup games count?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Its actually in the past 10 years, theres a few ridiculous ones that happened 30 years or so ago.

Thanks, forgot to translate it completely. I've amended my post accordingly.

I like that list! He's not done yet.

(Is it OHL history or the last 10 years?)

I apologize, I'm usually reliable with translations. It is over the past 10 years, I stand corrected.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Don't get all the concern about his size,or the perceived lack of size per say. Similar build as Claude Giroux, Bigger than Gallagher or Domi,so....not like Johnny hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad