Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Awesome - counting on you for a mini game report now!

Drive safe with the snow out there
Looking like the Friday game on the 11th. Going to bring the family and stay the night if the weather is good. Tried to see where the the premium seats were in the stadium before we orderd them. A1 A2 and A3 were suggested. Went to the stadium map and could find an A section. I’ve ordered NHL tickets numerous times with unrivaled success, but this is crazy. I know I am doing something wrong, maybe, and am willing to make as ass of myself asking for help. I’ll call the box office tomorrow.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
anyone has watched him the past few games? he wasn't able to put himself on the scoring sheet much, he team as been destroyed and he isn't on pace for 100pts anymore...

in junior 1 realy good game can change everything tho

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
anyone has watched him the past few games? he wasn't able to put himself on the scoring sheet much, he team as been destroyed and he isn't on pace for 100pts anymore...

in junior 1 realy good game can change everything tho

Bustzuki

Reactions: Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Button keeps using the Rakell comparison.

Rakell:
- 6'-1", 198 lbs
- 1.01 pts/game in the OHL over 149 games
- 69 goals in 149 games (0.46 goals/game)

N Suzuki:
- 5'-10", 183 lbs
- 1.26 pts/game in the OHL over 219 games
- 127 goals in 219 games (0.58 goals/game)

Surely Button can shoot higher than Rakell as NHL ceiling comparison? :sarcasm:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Button keeps using the Rakell comparison.

Rakell:
- 6'-1", 198 lbs
- 1.01 pts/game in the OHL over 149 games
- 69 goals in 149 games (0.46 goals/game)

N Suzuki:
- 5'-10", 183 lbs
- 1.26 pts/game in the OHL over 219 games
- 127 goals in 219 games (0.58 goals/game)

Surely Button can shoot higher than Rakell as NHL ceiling comparison? :sarcasm:

I hate to use the comparison based on ethnic background but Suzuki seems like a very light Paul Kariya to me. No where the same level of talent but they have a lot of common traits , work hard , 200 foot game , speedy , a bit smallish but not necessarily weak. Kariya is unique in his own way in many ways but I see a lot of him in Nick. (I was a huge Kariya fan in the 90s , had all cards and watched him religiously and have only seen a handful of games of Nick so take my opinion with a huge grain of salt).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hate to use the comparison based on ethnic background but Suzuki seems like a very light Paul Kariya to me. No where the same level of talent but they have a lot of common traits , work hard , 200 foot game , speedy , a bit smallish but not necessarily weak. Kariya is unique in his own way in many ways but I see a lot of him in Nick from what I've seen. (I was a huge Kariya fan in the 90s , had all cards and watched him religiously).

Kariya is not a bad comparison if you ask me. I can't wait to see Suzuki at the world juniors. This is where I get a good look at how he looks against the best players his own age. I learned a lot from Poehling last year. With Poehling, were looking at a shutdown center with some offensive ability. His focus is what the coaches want him to do and he plays a great 200' game. It will be interesting to see what he can do this year being a year older.

Reactions: King In Glory

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Giroux is a far better comparison than Kariya if you ask me. Not only was Kariya even smaller but he was a complete speed merchant. His straight-line speed was his prime weapon. Giroux is maybe a shade below average size, not the most fleet footed, but extremely crafty with great hands. Can snipe with accuracy and make deft passes all night. That could describe Suzuki to a T.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I hate to use the comparison based on ethnic background but Suzuki seems like a very light Paul Kariya to me. No where the same level of talent but they have a lot of common traits , work hard , 200 foot game , speedy , a bit smallish but not necessarily weak. Kariya is unique in his own way in many ways but I see a lot of him in Nick. (I was a huge Kariya fan in the 90s , had all cards and watched him religiously and have only seen a handful of games of Nick so take my opinion with a huge grain of salt).
Kariya was a much more fluid skater and he had wonderful edges.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Giroux is a far better comparison than Kariya if you ask me. Not only was Kariya even smaller but he was a complete speed merchant. His straight-line speed was his prime weapon. Giroux is maybe a shade below average size, not the most fleet footed, but extremely crafty with great hands. Can snipe with accuracy and make deft passes all night. That could describe Suzuki to a T.

Suzuki has nothing on Kariya's top end speed but Nick doesn't have a skating issue , his edge work and fluidity are at an elite level imo. He is also above average in regards to speed and acceleration.

Reactions: HankyZetts

newdimension

May 18, 2013
I'd say hes more of a Joe Pavelski type, if anything. Similar in stature. Both goal scorers/shooters. Can play wing and center, along with a cerebral/"Swiss Army" two-way game that allows them to succeed despite their lack of high-end speed.

Reactions: admiralcadillac

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Kariya was a much more fluid skater and he had wonderful edges.

That's exactly how I describe Nick's skating , Kariya had much better acceleration and top end speed and a ridiculous ability to carry the puck at high speeds. These are somethe aspects that made Paul into an elite player. Nick shares some similarities but as mentioned Kariya is clearly a better skater and talent. I simply think they both share some common ground in regards to two way play with speed, sniping and work ethic.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

I got roasted for using the Kariya comparison, but they are very similar lol

Reactions: King In Glory

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I got roasted for using the Kariya comparison, but they are very similar lol

I am not suggesting they are clones or identical , especially as they are both Canadians of Japanese ancestry. However , they do share a lot of similarities but as with any comparison it's only a look at both players and we notice some stylistic similarities but besides talent there are so many factors that can alter a young players style and potential ceiling so it's never a question of projecting.

Nick Suzuki unless something happens that I can't see, doesn't have Paul Kariya's potential but I see a lot of similarities in how they are used by their coaches and the abilities that make them good players (in Paul's case elite). Suzuki is stronger on the puck compared to Kariya at the same age (it was one of Kariya's weaknesses early on that he worked on with experience) but Kariya had top of the league speed and vision an area where Nick is very good but not top10 in the league.

Last edited:

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Giroux is maybe a shade below average size, not the most fleet footed, but extremely crafty with great hands. Can snipe with accuracy and make deft passes all night. That could describe Suzuki to a T.

Not to mention they are both right hand shots who can play center or wing. They are also cerebral all situation players with a decent 200 ft game.

Giroux is no tough guy per se, but he's got some underrated grit that nicely complements his finesse game. Don't know if Suzuki has that in him. I haven't watched him enough to know how he handles himself in tight, physical games. Looking forward to see how he does at the Juniors.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Oshie, Pavelski, Giroux
High end skill, not particularly fast

However, he is a fluid skater with great edge work , speed isn't an issue in the least bit. He's also got a better head for the defensive side of the game compared to Giroux but imo has a lesser offensive ceiling than Giroux. Nick doesn't need to be as quick as Byron because his skill comes from patience and making the right moves , he is going to be a good one (he's got the tools and the toolbox). I didn't know much about him initially but the more I've watched his games and highlights , the more I am impressed.

Prospect profile (elite prospects):

A smart offensive center who thinks the game at a fast pace and makes very good decisions on a consistent basis. Though he may not be the biggest player on the ice, Suzuki plays a thick, sturdy game and is hard to knock off the puck, especially when he has his feet moving. He's an excellent skater that knows his own game well. Skilled with the puck and has a high level of hockey sense. This blend of talent and work ethic is hard to come by, invaluable in the long run.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Suzuki has nothing on Kariya's top end speed but Nick doesn't have a skating issue , his edge work and fluidity are at an elite level imo. He is also above average in regards to speed and acceleration.

So that is, Kane like ?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
So that is, Kane like ?

Kane is a much better stick handler (and hands in general), Suzuki is more of a cerebral guy , think Andrei Markov but as a forward. He won't "wow" you with his dekes and moves but he will with his intelligence and ability to make plays that others can't even see are there. He rarely takes dumb penalties, can be used on the P.K or the PP and is often known as the player you want on the ice whether you are leading by 1 or down by 1.

Reactions: yianik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad