Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 11

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
His peak level lasted 5 minutes in a game - at most in some games.

Also, Suzuki brings other value to the game that Kovalev didn't even know existed. For example, Suzuki is not Bergeron but he's damn close. He plays the PK. Imagine putting Kovalev on the PK.

I think I know what point you are trying to make, but it's not the same idea as what was originally said.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Suzuki played 71games this years not 60 and he played on a team that you had one line to cover. He doesnt strike me at all like the kind of player who's gonna fold when the games we'll be meaningfull its quite the opposite.. Anyway we'll see.

We already know he doesn't fold. Anybody who watched either of the years where Suzuki was in the post season can tell you that he was very noticeable on the big stage.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I think I know what point you are trying to make, but it's not the same idea as what was originally said.
The original idea was that very few players the poster saw had more tools than Kovalev. When it comes to offensive tools I give the edge to l'artiste but Suzuki completely buries him when it comes to the defensive side of the game. So overall I'd take Suzki every day and twice on gameday. And I won't delve into Kovalev's inconsistent and erratic play.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The original idea was that very few players the poster saw had more tools than Kovalev. When it comes to offensive tools I give the edge to l'artiste but Suzuki completely buries him when it comes to the defensive side of the game. So overall I'd take Suzki every day and twice on gameday. And I won't delve into Kovalev's inconsistent and erratic play.
I just went back and watched the highlights from our Covid cup playoff run. I'm astounded I forgot just how good Nick Suzuki was throughout.
I still don't get why people are trying to pin him down and label him when he hasn't finished his apprenticeship as a Captain and as a first line center.
There is definitely a fire burning deep inside the kid that makes him want to be the best he can be when it counts most. I'd really like to give him another couple of seasons before we make lists and comparisons.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I'll add that Suzuki has in spades what Kovalev lacked to be a true elite player: hockey IQ. Kovalev's game was a lot more effort dependent because it was based on skill rather than an understanding of the game.

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005
1711670816774.gif

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
I'll add that Suzuki has in spades what Kovalev lacked to be a true elite player: hockey IQ. Kovalev's game was a lot more effort dependent because it was based on skill rather than an understanding of the game.

Kovalev's greatest weakness was never being to identify or execute the simple efficient play.

To me, that's how his lack of hockey IQ showed up the most.

If he could make solid "hockey plays" twice as often, he would have easily been a ppg + player throughout his career.

Also, when Kovalev cared / was engaged, he wasn't half bad defensively too.

Reactions: Andrei79

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I like Suzuki but c'mon now. There's very few players I'd take over a "peak" Kovalev. He had issues obviously but his ability at peak level was not one of them.
Suzuki impacts way more areas of the ice. I’d take slick Nick without thinking twice. He will be 75-78 point player this year on this garbage team. Pretty incredible. Kovalev would have quit 40 games ago.

Just imagine. Cole Cauiflower’s upside is way higher than Suzuki, right LG?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Suzuki impacts way more areas of the ice. I’d take slick Nick without thinking twice. He will be 75-78 point player this year on this garbage team. Pretty incredible. Kovalev would have quit 40 games ago.

Just imagine. Cole Cauiflower’s upside is way higher than Suzuki, right LG?

Again, this is not what the original post was about

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Nick's PPG progression

2019-2020: 0.57 (71GP)
2020-2021: 0.73 (56GP)
2021-2022: 0.74 (82GP)
2022-2023: 0.8 (82GP)
2023-2024: 0.94 (70GP so far)

What's amazing is how consistent he's been in his progression. Line goes up. Fun time to be a Suzuki fan :handclap:
also shows how progress isn’t linear either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad