Proposal: Nick Schmaltz for a Defenseman

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Schmaltz+Vejmelka+2nd for Byram+RyJo+Prosvetov?
I’d do that deal as the Avs. We really need a 2C. And he’d be that for the next three playoff runs. Could also use a solid backup G. RyJo is such a bad fit for our roster as well. His skating limitations won’t be as problematic playing cycle hockey with Crouse.

Matheson for Schmaltz?
A terrible defender for a 2C. That’s hilarious. Habs could add Newhook + mesar and it still sucks for Arizona.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d do that deal as the Avs. We really need a 2C. And he’d be that for the next three playoff runs.

There would be some good synergy for AZ if we replaced that 2nd with Soderstrom and then sent Dermott down to Tucson to make up for the loss. Opens a spot for Byram.

Would Schmaltz, Vejmelka and Soderstrom for Byram, Johansen and Prosvetov work?

Reactions: McJedi and AslanRH

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
There would be some good synergy for AZ if we replaced that 2nd with Soderstrom and then sent Dermott down to Tucson to make up for the loss. Opens a spot for Byram.

Would Schmaltz, Vejmelka and Soderstrom for Byram, Johansen and Prosvetov work?
I’d do it. Avs need a 2C and backup G. This fills those holes. And it moves RyJo off their 2024-25 salary cap commitments. It solves a lot of problems the Avs face today.

Byram will be top pair for AZ. Quickly. Avs played him off hand this year with a pretty terrible middle six. Makar is amazing and gets almost all the PP ice time and time with our top line.

The Avs have an offensively inept middle six when one or both of Nuke and Lex are out. It’s really impacted Byram, Manson and Girard having to play with no skill players like Wood, O’Conner, Colton, Cogs, Olofasson or slow ones like RyJo.

Last edited:

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Schmaltz is an interesting piece. He is a target that could be interesting for Montreal.

I won't name players because that's lame and no one can assess value on this site anyway.

Reactions: Miller Time

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Schmaltz is an interesting piece. He is a target that could be interesting for Montreal.

I won't name players because that's lame and no one can assess value on this site anyway.
Yes. The Habs fan base in particular. A fan base with no idea how to assess value and a fan base that seems to have no respect or use for analytics.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Yes. The Habs fan base in particular. A fan base with no idea how to assess value and a fan base that seems to have no respect or use for analytics.
True.

But also, others hate Montreal fanbase so much that they become as guilty of the opposite phenomenon to judge all Montreal players as trash.

I guess everyone is just terrible.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
But we have been correct most of the time. Monahan is just a recent example. So much for the analytics which said he suck and yet we got a 1st round pick.

Reactions: Miller Time

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I’d do that deal as the Avs. We really need a 2C. And he’d be that for the next three playoff runs. Could also use a solid backup G. RyJo is such a bad fit for our roster as well. His skating limitations won’t be as problematic playing cycle hockey with Crouse.

A terrible defender for a 2C. That’s hilarious. Habs could add Newhook + mesar and it still sucks for Arizona.
I mean a package around those two not saying 1 for 1 as it is a center which they hold good value.

I could see it possibly working. Based on how the Coyotes play and Matheson’s offensive style could fit really good.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
But we have been correct most of the time. Monahan is just a recent example. So much for the analytics which said he suck and yet we got a 1st round pick.
Most of the time?

Like how wrong the Habs fans have been over the years about:

Petry
Domi
Tatar
Drouin
Price
Weber
Allen
Anderson
Gallagher
Arima
Evans

Now Matheson, probably Savard, your 2023 draft picks.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Most of the time?

Like how wrong the Habs fans have been over the years about:

Petry
Domi
Tatar
Drouin
Price
Weber
Allen
Anderson
Gallagher
Arima
Evans

Now Matheson, probably Savard, your 2023 draft picks.
This post highlights how disconnected from reality your constant posts about Mtl are... Such a weird obsession.

Matheson for Schmaltz makes zero sense for the Habs, you clearly have a very poor understanding of Matheson as a player, and Montreal's roster needs.

Xhekaj or Strubble could make some sense, though I suspect a + from the yotes would be needed given the cap implications.

Given the expiring LTIRs on the yotes roster and the increasing cap & cap floor, I think there's a chance we see a yotes/Mtl deal involving Price.

Schmaltz for Strubble + Price

That might fit both sides needs & work out well.

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
This post highlights how disconnected from reality your constant posts about Mtl are... Such a weird obsession.

Matheson for Schmaltz makes zero sense for the Habs, you clearly have a very poor understanding of Matheson as a player, and Montreal's roster needs.

Xhekaj or Strubble could make some sense, though I suspect a + from the yotes would be needed given the cap implications.

Given the expiring LTIRs on the yotes roster and the increasing cap & cap floor, I think there's a chance we see a yotes/Mtl deal involving Price.

Way to prove exactly what he said, this offer is nonsense for ARI

rt

May 13, 2004

Don’t want Strubble. Do want Xhekaj.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Interesting.

Xhekaj is certainly an interesting player with unique talents, though at this stage Strubble has demonstrated better overall play & arguably a higher ceiling.

Not entirely sure which the Habs management would place a higher trade price tag on.

Id probably do Xhekaj & Price for Schmaltz...

Though I'm a fan of Schmaltz & think he'd complement our top 6 quite well & I'm less sold on X maintaining a top 6 d spot with the Habs (Strubble having surpassed him & Habs depth of LD being probably their strongest position).

Way to prove exactly what he said, this offer is nonsense for ARI
Interesting take. What is your actual knowledge of Strubble, I wonder?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Would you like a RHD on a newly signed 7 year deal? Scott Mayfield is the perfect man for the job.

rt

May 13, 2004
Interesting.

Xhekaj is certainly an interesting player with unique talents, though at this stage Strubble has demonstrated better overall play & arguably a higher ceiling.

Not entirely sure which the Habs management would place a higher trade price tag on.

Id probably do Xhekaj & Price for Schmaltz...

Though I'm a fan of Schmaltz & think he'd complement our top 6 quite well & I'm less sold on X maintaining a top 6 d spot with the Habs (Strubble having surpassed him & Habs depth of LD being probably their strongest position).

Interesting take. What is your actual knowledge of Strubble, I wonder?
I’m gonna just admit it. I mistook Struble for Harris in my brain. Uncomfortable.

Would you like a RHD on a newly signed 7 year deal? Scott Mayfield is the perfect man for the job.
Full NTC

Reactions: Sam de Mtl

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Side stepping the "value" question, this deal makes no sense for MTL. MTL has nobody to replace Matheson in his offensive role and Nick is somewhat too old for what the team is trying to do. So there is no reason to make that type of deal. While I'm not saying MTL would never be interested in Schmaltz, it would be for a deal that doesn't create a hole.
Nick is 27 years old RW that could be in the top 6

Matheson can be replace by Ghule easy

Newhook-Dach-Nick woukd be a kick ass 2nd line

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers are interested
Why are we interested?
Cap hit high too high - check
Softer than a baby's bottom - check
Bad on faceoffs - check
Getting more powerplay time than he'll see on NYR - check.

I fail to see how the skill set in the areas he shines is helping us at being the 3c we need... or the top 6 RW, with Zibanejad and Kreider who play inline hockey on the rush.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

that's terrible for ARZ

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Didn't you propose Rantanen for Suzuki and Guhle a few weeks ago?

Not available. I like Schmaltz, but he's 28 and doesn't fit into a rebuild timeline. Hughes will use Habs' assets for a forward in the 21-23 y.o range

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'd suggest Jordan Harris for a 2nd. He's mostly LD but can get by on RD. Hasn't really defined himself as an NHLer but he's likely to have a decent career.

Struble and Xhekaj are likely in long-term plans, so most likely not available.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd suggest Jordan Harris for a 2nd. He's mostly LD but can get by on RD. Hasn't really defined himself as an NHLer but he's likely to have a decent career.

Struble and Xhekaj are likely in long-term plans, so most likely not available.
No interest in Harris at all.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Didn't you propose Rantanen for Suzuki and Guhle a few weeks ago?

Not available. I like Schmaltz, but he's 28 and doesn't fit into a rebuild timeline. Hughes will use Habs' assets for a forward in the 21-23 y.o range
Hell no. Bad trade for Avs.

Rants is a top 10 player in the NHL. Those two are just a good 2C and second pair whatever player.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I mean a package around those two not saying 1 for 1 as it is a center which they hold good value.

I could see it possibly working. Based on how the Coyotes play and Matheson’s offensive style could fit really good.
Matheson by far the worst player on the ice last night in the game the Rangers pour in seven goals. An assist -3… deeply negative Corsi and expected goals for. 3 blocks and a few giveaways.

Matheson can skate and he can play with the puck like a good NHl defender. Matheson defends like he belongs in the AHL on a 2nd pair. Matheson produces some of the worst advanced defensive stats in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad