Player Discussion Nick Paul (LW)

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
My favourite bottom six player since Rik stamina.

He could do it all when he was on. When he was off, he still did a lot. Congrats on moving to a top contender, BDN. Under rated by many, over rated by few. Win a ring!

Reactions: Icelevel

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
A tidbit from Bruce...

An unrestricted free agent, he turned down a four-year extension worth $10.4 million from the club Thursday and that was his ticket out of town.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Good to see all the best players on the team are excited about getting him out of the room! #culture
Screenshot_20220321-061558_Instagram.jpg

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Good to see all the best players on the team are excited about getting him out of the room! #culture
View attachment 519238

Ottawa got back an equally likeable guy who fits positional need better, is more cost-controlled and also very high character.

This is not the trade to be criticizing Dorion.

Also, the comparison to Hamonic makes no sense. Hamonic only has a year left. Paul wanted multiple years. Not similar cases whatsover.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Best of luck to Nick Paul! Some players never get a chance at a cup and he just bounced to the front of the line. Come summer, he’ll get a better deal than what Ottawa offered so, when all is said and done, it’s a win-win for him. I’m pretty sure that, like other former Sens, he will be thankful that Ottawa didn’t extend him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa got back an equally likeable guy who fits positional need better, is more cost-controlled and also very high character.

This is not the trade to be criticizing Dorion.

Also, the comparison to Hamonic makes no sense. Hamonic only has a year left. Paul wanted multiple years. Not similar cases whatsover.
Not that I'm complaining about the trade, but how does Joseph fit a positional need better?

LW: Tkachuck, Formenton, Kelly...
Prospects: Greig
UFA/RFA: Sanford

RW: Batherson, C.Brown, White, Watson,
Prospects: Sokolov
UFA/RFA: Gaudette

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not that I'm complaining about the trade, but how does Joseph fit a positional need better?

I’d think Batherson is the only right wing there in the plans. Unless we are going to pay Brown the 40 million he’ll be looking for next season. If that’s the case, Joseph fits in very well as a 3rd line guy who is likely to accept a deal in the 3 x 4.5 vicinity. Team is already in the motions of moving on from White and Watson.

Reactions: Sweatred

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Like Bondra said, White's gone. Brown is 2nd line RW for now. That means Joseph slots in perfectly as the RW which is a big hole.

Conversely, Tkachuk is top line LW, Formenton is 3rd line LW and there's a big hole in that second LW spot which is what will be filled in the off-season hence the discussions of Fiala or Giroux. Greig can step into 4th line LW as soon as next year, but not significantly position on 4th line.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Giroux-Stutzle-Brown
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph(I expect this to be our 3rd line moving forward.

In a year from now, if we do not find a good deal for Brown, I can see him being traded and Giroux/Fiala move to RW with Slafkovsky/Greig slotting on that LW position. Or even Formenton if he makes serious strides.

Reactions: DrEasy and Sweatred

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Unpopular opinion but I’m happy to see the club move on from Paul. I see no way a team is contenting for a Stanley cup with a nick paul in their top 9, and that’s at ANY salary, let alone the one Paul will be signed to. He is a 4th liner all day long. He shows flashes of dominance where you dream of the potential if he could do it every shift, every game. But we all know what he is by now and that’s a great bottom of the lineup player that brings leadership and good guy vibes in spades but leaves a lot to be desired both defensively and certainly offensively where the play tends to die on his stick most nights.

In an ideal world, Paul would’ve been one of these guys who know they could probably get a bit more on the open market but are willing to take a “hometown discount” to stay at the only club they’ve know. Unfortunately for us, he’s not. He has every right to maximize his potential earnings and I applaud him for that. I’m just happy it wasn’t our team that decided to give him the contract.

I feel one of the most exciting parts of being a fan is following the journey of these players from the moment they enter into the organization until they eventually, hopefully play for the team. When they are stories as good as nick Paul’s, it’s how they end up becoming fan favourites because nick paul is all of us. So I will always root for him wherever he ends up and hope he continues to make Ottawa his home like lots of former sens players. Congrats nick and all the best.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Like Bondra said, White's gone. Brown is 2nd line RW for now. That means Joseph slots in perfectly as the RW which is a big hole.

Conversely, Tkachuk is top line LW, Formenton is 3rd line LW and there's a big hole in that second LW spot which is what will be filled in the off-season hence the discussions of Fiala or Giroux. Greig can step into 4th line LW as soon as next year, but not significantly position on 4th line.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Giroux-Stutzle-Brown
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph(I expect this to be our 3rd line moving forward.

In a year from now, if we do not find a good deal for Brown, I can see him being traded and Giroux/Fiala move to RW with Slafkovsky/Greig slotting on that LW position. Or even Formenton if he makes serious strides.
Idk, moving on from White and landing Giroux or Fiala seems like wishful thinking, and until it actually happens we aren't actually filling a greater need.

Aside from that, Boucher was the guy the team hoped to fill that 3rd line RW spot with, I guess we see him as further out than when it's time to trade Brown, but that's really disappointing out of a 10th OA.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

What I see right now ... more moves will change that obviously

Tkachuk, Norris Batherson
Formenton Stutzle Brown
Joseph Pinto White
Kelly ? Watson

Moving White and acquiring a top 6 W .. will push Brown or Formenton Down and possibly Joseph over to RW.
Watson .. will be replaced at some point
They could resign Gambrell or move Kastelic in on the 4th line

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What I see right now ... more moves will change that obviously

Tkachuk, Norris Batherson
Formenton Stutzle Brown
Joseph Pinto White
Kelly ? Watson

Moving White and acquiring a top 6 W .. will push Brown or Formenton Down and possibly Joseph over to RW.
Watson .. will be replaced at some point
They could resign Gambrell or move Kastelic in on the 4th line

If they can move White, Joseph makes a good replacement for him as a RW, but until we see how they move White idk if it makes much sense.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’d think Batherson is the only right wing there in the plans. Unless we are going to pay Brown the 40 million he’ll be looking for next season. If that’s the case, Joseph fits in very well as a 3rd line guy who is likely to accept a deal in the 3 x 4.5 vicinity. Team is already in the motions of moving on from White and Watson.

You think Joseph's next contract has an aav of 4.5? or 1.5?

Reactions: Masked

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Gonna miss Paul, but this is a rare win for Dorion. Joseph needed a chance to sign and he now has it. We have a cost controlled forward with more speed and the same metrics as Paul.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad