Nick [Nick Jr] Jensen

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Is basically the second most productive Red Wings defenseman, having played a little over half a season, with under 18 minutes per game and zero power play time.

Which admittedly isn't saying much, but it's still a nice surprise. How has he been overall? Has his ceiling or expectations changed? Will he play a bigger role next year?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Such a joke that he didnt get a shot sooner with how well he played in the preseason a couple years in a row.

In such a rush to call up 7th round, passed through the draft twice Marchenko whose 2 years younger, but couldnt give Jensen a look

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think he's getting overrated on here. He's been solid, but he's not particularly good offensively or defensively. He doesn't have much of a shot, and he's not a great passer. He's just a great skater. I think that'll be exposed with some time in the league.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
I think he's getting overrated on here. He's been solid, but he's not particularly good offensively or defensively. He doesn't have much of a shot, and he's not a great passer. He's just a great skater. I think that'll be exposed with some time in the league.

Poor mans' Brett Lebda.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

He's been really good relative to our other defensemen and compared to expectations. He's a smooth skating defensive defenseman, that's what he is.

Aug 6, 2012
I think he's solid on the third pair. He's kind of like Helm out there... not the smartest but quick and agile. Not very impressed with his work in transition besides his skating ability.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He's been really good relative to our other defensemen and compared to expectations. He's a smooth skating defensive defenseman, that's what he is.

I think that is a pretty fair way to put it. I think he has done a good job with his opportunity and there are parts of his game I really like (like his ability to quickly close gaps and attack higher in the defensive zone and I think he has gotten better in terms of getting his shot off). This organization, however, desperately needs defensemen who are better than him, especially with the puck.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's actually been pretty great. The plays he's made lately, such as the rush to set up Larkin last night or the goal when he followed up on his own rebound, have been terrific stuff. It's surprising me that he's showing some potential offensively

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Poor mans' Brett Lebda.

Rich man's. Aside from skating, the rest of his game is already better than Lebda's ever was. That won't make him a star or anything, but anyone that mobile who is competent in other areas is definitely an asset.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Rich man's. Aside from skating, the rest of his game is already better than Lebda's ever was. That won't make him a star or anything, but anyone that mobile who is competent in other areas is definitely an asset.

Without looking it up, it feels like Jensen simply has a better build than Lebda. Part of Lebda's issues were that he was so slight and small that he couldn't hold his own in the defensive zone, something Jensen has fewer issues with.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Without looking it up, it feels like Jensen simply has a better build than Lebda. Part of Lebda's issues were that he was so slight and small that he couldn't hold his own in the defensive zone, something Jensen has fewer issues with.

They are also very, very different skaters. While both have/had very good acceleration, Jensen is far more agile on his edges and pivots much quicker and easier than Lebda ever did.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I remember when he was so dominant in the pre-season about 2 years ago, pretty ****** not to give him a chance back then.

If only they could give him a solid look at PP before the season end. Tbf though i think he'll only ever be a efficient 5v5 Dman mostly due to his skating.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I remember when he was so dominant in the pre-season about 2 years ago, pretty ****** not to give him a chance back then.

If only they could give him a solid look at PP before the season end. Tbf though i think he'll only ever be a efficient 5v5 Dman mostly due to his skating.

Who's he gonna replace? Kronwall? Blasphemy!!!

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Wings are lucky he didn't waste away to nothing waiting until he was 26 to even give him a look like that

hell they even exposed him to waivers at the start of the year without ever giving him a single NHL game

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016

This.

Seriously, watch him in his own zone, he isn't that great. Compared to Russo? Sure. But he is not anything beyond a 3rd pairing Dman.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Snore. We have enough safe boring defenceman who barely get their job doen in the defensive end and provide negative support up front.

Jensen is no worse than any of them on the backend yet shines through the neutral and offensive zones. I really enjoy watching him work and he actually wants to get involved. Been essentially our second best defenceman.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I go back and forth every game on who I like more out of him and XO. Hopefully Vegas doesn't take one of them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad