Value of: Nick Jensen to TOR

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Jensen isn’t a 5-6 dman tho. He’s been one of our best defensemen for a minute now, which I know isn’t saying much, but still.

the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive

I would argue that Green is the only defensman on the team that is better than a bottom pairing guy right now

Reactions: njx9

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

I would argue that Green is the only defensman on the team that is better than a bottom pairing guy right now

What do you think about Cholo? I’ll admit I haven’t seen much the past 15-20 games due to work and obligations.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
What do you think about Cholo? I’ll admit I haven’t seen much the past 15-20 games due to work and obligations.

probably somewhere between a 3rd pairing and AHL guy at the present moment with his defensive holes now that his offense has dried up

he's obviously still very young and raw though

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I mean sure but are there 186 forwards in the NHL better than Brown? No. and if we figure P-60, his assist rating and his previous success when deployed as such, he isn't bad. Like we can cut the bs that he's a wasteland. He came into the league as a skill guy that's being deployed as defensive lower line up guy because he's a luxury not because he isn't good. If I'm a team like the Wings rebuilding I should be looking at market inefficiencies. Not to say he's worth Jensen, because Jensen in his own right is a market inefficiency (good RHD with good underlying numbers that's only valued as a 2-3rd and C level prospect?)

No one said he's a wasteland but he's not a top-6 player. Not even on the wings. But the truth is that he's regressing. Maybe its because he on a lower line but right now his value is very low. I mean he's supposed to be a productive skill guy but he has as much points as our defensive 3rd/4th line center... You can't spin that into a positive.

I'm also one of those old school heads that doesn't think we should trade valueable assets to a rival without it being a massive over payment. :laugh:

The positive with Connor is that he only has a year left iirc and hes pretty good at stealing pucks as far as Ive seen. So it wouldn't be a bad player to take a flyer on but his price would obviously be pretty low.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't know how to post tweetter on here, but apparently Ken Holland has already turn down a 3rd rounder from clubs for Jensen. He's sitting firm, but already getting offers while still a week out from TDL.

I am hearing interest is picking up for @DetroitRedWings right shot D & Impending UFA Nick Jensen. Current asking price is believed to be a 2nder+ with clubs offering a 3rd. Excellent puck mover that can really skate & defend would be a great add to any playoff team. @NHLNetwork

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Everything points to Jensen being better than a bottom pairing guy right now. Hes playing hard minutes and doing well with them. he isnt flashy but he gets the job done. I went through a list on the wings board but hes likely in the top 4 on 10-15 teams in the NHL. I think a lot of wings fans have been spoiled by having a ridicuously stacked defense from 95 or so to basically the last4 years or so. No Jensen isnt a top 4 D on a team like Detroit when guys like Kronwall, Stuart, Rafalski, Schneider, Chelios etc have been on the second pair. But most teams dont have D like that. The argument this year for Jensen being a number 4 D is probably a lot easier to make than saying hes a bottom pairing guy.

I don't know how to post tweetter on here, but apparently Ken Holland has already turn down a 3rd rounder from clubs for Jensen. He's sitting firm, but already getting offers while still a week out from TDL.

If this is legit, I think Holland will get what hes asking. Teams are already offering third rounders for him... come deadline day a team will pony up a second plus a little something. I dont think the plus will be huge, but there will be something there that has potential

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
ill agree to disagree with most of what you said. They are playing the safe approach with Cholowski, and personally, i didnt think he was playing all that poorly. he basically knew the coach was on his ass with all the HS, pressbox material. Hard to rebuild yourself when you're a rookie, on the top 5 worst teams logging some minutes like he was. It was bound to catch up to him.

Hronek has also been very good in GRG this year, showing improvements, and i think IIRC someone said he's a notorious slow starter. that being said, Jensen is a dime-a-dozen player, you dont need him and you most certainly eventually have to let the kids learn, the hard way or not. They have enough vets on the blueline to help them, theres absolutely zero need to go dumspter diving and sign dmen next summer, none.

Well someone's gotta make up for the 20 minutes that Kronwall plays a night. Then the 20 that Jensen plays too.

We don't have a Suter or Doughty who can play 25+ minutes every game for fun. Green, DD, Daley and Ericsson ain't doing it, they're already topped out at the 18-20 minute range that they're already playing. Doubtful that Cholo and Hronek get much more than the 18ish they've been getting this year.

Sulak, McIsaac, and whoever else we might have who is even the slightiest bit close to being NHL ready are all wildcards until Sept/Oct.

Unless Holland somehow gets a semi competent D back in a Nyquist/Jensen TDL trade, then I'm pretty much banking on us dipping into FA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad