Nick Foligno?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
MaDdY said:
Can anyone who has seen him play give me a good assesment on him please?

I've heard he's a gritty forward...

Does he hav any scoring potential? HOws his skating ?
In games he's more "quick" than fast, but his Top Prospects skills testing put him in the upper reaches of most of the skating categories. Perhaps because I usually notice him digging in down low and in cycling areas in the offensive zone, I never quite realized that he's as fast as his test results seem to indicate.

So put a check mark beside skating.

And he's definitely gritty, even on a generally chippy team like Sudbury, definitely digs and I think that he's finding ways of keeping his motor going more consistently than he did last year. And that's key for him, IMO. If he can do that, have an agitating edge to make up for his lack of size, then I think that will pay off for him as a pro.

I don't know what his overall offensive upside is, though. Sometimes he makes moves that make me think he has something untapped there. And I've only seen him maybe half a dozen times. So I'm not committed on where I put his offense. My general impression is that maybe he's a guy who goes to the pros, and then his offense depends on where he ends up in your lineup. If he gets assigned more of a 3rd/4th line role and learns his defensive assignments, he buzzes around doing that pretty effectively. If he gets a coach who likes the way he does that, maybe he gets bumped up a bit to provide some grit on a higher line, and he chips in with more, there are plenty of guys like that in the NHL right now (some kind of Long Island cocktail of Peca, Blake, Asham, Bates springs to mind, although there are plenty of others around).

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Blind Gardien said:
In games he's more "quick" than fast, but his Top Prospects skills testing put him in the upper reaches of most of the skating categories. Perhaps because I usually notice him digging in down low and in cycling areas in the offensive zone, I never quite realized that he's as fast as his test results seem to indicate.

So put a check mark beside skating.

And he's definitely gritty, even on a generally chippy team like Sudbury, definitely digs and I think that he's finding ways of keeping his motor going more consistently than he did last year. And that's key for him, IMO. If he can do that, have an agitating edge to make up for his lack of size, then I think that will pay off for him as a pro.

I don't know what his overall offensive upside is, though. Sometimes he makes moves that make me think he has something untapped there. And I've only seen him maybe half a dozen times. So I'm not committed on where I put his offense. My general impression is that maybe he's a guy who goes to the pros, and then his offense depends on where he ends up in your lineup. If he gets assigned more of a 3rd/4th line role and learns his defensive assignments, he buzzes around doing that pretty effectively. If he gets a coach who likes the way he does that, maybe he gets bumped up a bit to provide some grit on a higher line, and he chips in with more, there are plenty of guys like that in the NHL right now (some kind of Long Island cocktail of Peca, Blake, Asham, Bates springs to mind, although there are plenty of others around).

Thanks man! :) :clap:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Gritty? He stirs up the pot and then one of the bigger guys comes in and fights his battles. He had a fight a couple of weeks ago and one of the people who reported back said the two of them were fighting like girls! He's got talent, but I don't know if he's got what it takes to make it to the NHL. It will be interesting to see how he plays when his coach isn't his dad. He has cooled off of late and has been put on the second line instead of with Pouliot. Pouliot and Kevin Baker have been hot ever since they started playing together.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Woof said:
Gritty? He stirs up the pot and then one of the bigger guys comes in and fights his battles. He had a fight a couple of weeks ago and one of the people who reported back said the two of them were fighting like girls! He's got talent, but I don't know if he's got what it takes to make it to the NHL. It will be interesting to see how he plays when his coach isn't his dad. He has cooled off of late and has been put on the second line instead of with Pouliot. Pouliot and Kevin Baker have been hot ever since they started playing together.

Are you saying you don't know if he's got what it take to make the NHL because he's not a good goon? That's a narrow way of thinking.

Foligno does have quick skating, he's solid as a rock on his skates, and is a North-South type of player. He reminds me of a Pat Eaves.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Balej's Dance said:
Are you saying you don't know if he's got what it take to make the NHL because he's not a good goon? That's a narrow way of thinking.

Foligno does have quick skating, he's solid as a rock on his skates, and is a North-South type of player. He reminds me of a Pat Eaves.

No, not at all. I just wish he'd stop stirring the pot unless he's going to finish the job. Half the time it's not one of the goons that comes to his aid, but someone like Devin Didiomete who is also draft eligible this year, has a good amount of talent but spends too much time in the box because he fights. A number of those fights happen when he's coming to Nick's aid. That's not to say Didiomete doesn't like to fight, but if Nick is going to start something, he should fight his own battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad