Value of: Nick Foligno

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
One issue is that he has a NMC so if it looks like his last year is the norm and not 2 years ago he needs expansion protection.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Just curious what the value is on this guy. He just came off a down year after exploding for 70+ points two seasons ago. He signed a six year contract for 5.5 million. What's he worth?

He had one career season in a contract year, he isn't a 70 point player.

His contract is pretty bad

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
If he regains his mojo and puts up 50-55 points this season, I would say he is worth his contract. Don't really see the Jackets moving Nick any time soon. Why sell low on their captain?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If he regains his mojo and puts up 50-55 points this season, I would say he is worth his contract. Don't really see the Jackets moving Nick any time soon. Why sell low on their captain?

Considering he has only done that once in his NHL career, the odds aren't in his favor. I dont see any team trading for him unless he can prove his one big season wasn't a fluke

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
A healthy Foligno should be good for 45-55 points for the duration of his contract, assuming he's deployed in a top 6/PP role. Everyone knew his shooting percentage would go down, but it was truly abysmal last season and a concussion certainly didn't help things.

Personally, I wouldn't trade him for anything other than a solid center prospect. Even then I've got other big $$ forwards (Hartnell, Dubinsky) on the chopping block ahead of him.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Last season, Foligno had 26 points in 39 games (55 point pace in 82) and 9 points in 8 games leading up to a dirty headshot from Brad Malone and a concussion.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
To the question of what is he worth...

Because of his off-year and the fact he has just the one year of top offensive output plus his contract makes him worth "not enough" in trade. Jackets are OK (not great) financially now, so there's no reason for them to look to trade a devalued asset.

Whether people believe he can return to being a 55-60 point producer or whether he'll be worth his contract or whether he's destined to be a steaming pile of crap for the rest of his career is pretty much all immaterial. Thread could go on for three pages of CBJ fans saying he'll be OK and other teams' fans saying no way man. Jackets are better off holding and figuring on improvement than trading Foligno.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
To the question of what is he worth...

Because of his off-year and the fact he has just the one year of top offensive output plus his contract makes him worth "not enough" in trade. Jackets are OK (not great) financially now, so there's no reason for them to look to trade a devalued asset.

Whether people believe he can return to being a 55-60 point producer or whether he'll be worth his contract or whether he's destined to be a steaming pile of crap for the rest of his career is pretty much all immaterial. Thread could go on for three pages of CBJ fans saying he'll be OK and other teams' fans saying no way man. Jackets are better off holding and figuring on improvement than trading Foligno.

/thread

It really doesnt make sense to trade Foligno unless we get a REALLY solid offer, which isnt likely as GM's arent going to take that chance that he doesnt rebound.

alexhabs26

Jul 11, 2016
Last season, Foligno had 26 points in 39 games (55 point pace in 82) and 9 points in 8 games leading up to a dirty headshot from Brad Malone and a concussion.

Your wrong, Foligno had 37 points in 72 games.
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/stats.htm
It's (42 point pace in 82).
The year before that he had a great season (73 point in 79 games), but before that he had between 30 and 45 points per season.
Also he have a to big contract (5.5 until 2021) and if Columbus want to trade him, they will have to retain parts of his salary or take a bad contract for him.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Your wrong, Foligno had 37 points in 72 games.
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/stats.htm
It's (42 point pace in 82).
The year before that he had a great season (73 point in 79 games), but before that he had between 30 and 45 points per season.
Also he have a to big contract (5.5 until 2021) and if Columbus want to trade him, they will have to retain parts of his salary or take a bad contract for him.

I'm right. Please re-read my comment and see that I was obviously talking about the period before the concussion.

When the hit took place, Foligno had this:

Foligno has played in 38 of his club’s 41 games this season, scoring six goals and 24 points.

Then he got the concussion and missed six games. His production after coming back was nowhere near his production before the concussion.

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-suspended-for-blindside-hit-on-nick-foligno/

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Just curious what the value is on this guy. He just came off a down year after exploding for 70+ points two seasons ago. He signed a six year contract for 5.5 million. What's he worth?

He got paid for that magnificent 1yr he had, prior to that and after that, he's been back to what he normally puts out offensively, which is around 35-45pts. His value isn't as high as CBJ wants it to be and it's not as high as people here think it to be and that 73pt season isn't indicative of how amazing he really is, but more so that 37pt is probably him falling back down to closer to what he really is.

Jackets would be smart to dump that contract as soon as they can.

Man that Jackets GM is not good at extensions at all, Bobrovsky, Foligno, Dubinsky...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm right. Please re-read my comment and see that I was obviously talking about the period before the concussion.

When the hit took place, Foligno had this:

Then he got the concussion and missed six games. His production after coming back was nowhere near his production before the concussion.

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-suspended-for-blindside-hit-on-nick-foligno/

So at the half way point, he was on a 50pt pace, after that he was on a 30pt pace. If he wasn't healed from his concussion then he shouldn't have been playing. Also, 50pts is not that far off from what he is capable of, he's had a season of 47 and close to 40, 50 isn't something he can't hit from time and time again, but being a 70pt guy again? That was an outlier.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
So at the half way point, he was on a 50pt pace, after that he was on a 30pt pace. If he wasn't healed from his concussion then he shouldn't have been playing. Also, 50pts is not that far off from what he is capable of, he's had a season of 47 and close to 40, 50 isn't something he can't hit from time and time again, but being a 70pt guy again? That was an outlier.

First, many players have their seasons drastically affected by concussions and "return back too early." Guys want to get back and play. Concussions tend to have long lasting effects and can make players play more timidly.

Second, Foligno makes $5.5 million. That's what guys who score 55 points make now. So his pay check is on par with his projected point totals. He isn't being paid to be a 70 point guy. If he was, he'd be making > $7 million.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
God no.

Lupul only has 2 years left.

:laugh: Pretty sure blue jackets fans wouldn't take that deal. Essentially be giving Foligno away.

He has a decent value. He's not a 70 pt guy, but 20-25 goals and 50+ points should be pretty common over his contract.

Considering Ladd just got a 6 year deal at 5.5 and he's 3 years older than Foligno, seems about market rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad