Injury Report: Nick Chubb suffers season ending knee injury

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
An on grass…. Man, first Barkley for 3:4 weeks then Chubb. Makes the RB market harder to get paid when the top guys go down.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nick Chubb is maybe my favorite Brown of all time. Such a class act and amazing player. .

This sucks. This is heartbreaking.
Every player is 1 play away from a career ending injury. So, I get when guys look to get paid, especially for the ones that haven't gotten 1 big payday. Chubb got his after being a 2nd round pick.

Chubb is in year 6. This would be the 2nd year of a franchise tag had Cleveland opted to tag him 2 years coming off his rookie deal, which for the money at an AAV of around $11 million for the 2 years, is good solid business for a team to do.

So, I get why RBs are doing whatever they can to get paid to get some security.

When ESPN won't show the replay and you hear the gasp of the crowd when the stadium shows the replay to the fans in the crowd, you know it's bad.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Every player is 1 play away from a career ending injury. So, I get when guys look to get paid, especially for the ones that haven't gotten 1 big payday. Chubb got his after being a 2nd round pick.

Chubb is in year 6. This would be the 2nd year of a franchise tag had Cleveland opted to tag him 2 years coming off his rookie deal, which for the money at an AAV of around $11 million for the 2 years, is good solid business for a team to do.

So, I get why RBs are doing whatever they can to get paid to get some security.

When ESPN won't show the replay and you hear the gasp of the crowd when the stadium shows the replay to the fans in the crowd, you know it's bad.

Going happen more and more often with how defensive players get tagged for going high or anyone near the head too. More defensive players are going to go for knees to get guys down. Feel for Chubb like everyone has said but I think his career is probably over. It's the same leg that got destroyed at Georgia, would love to see him beat the odds but like someone said above, very hard to imagine to knee/leg doesn't have something permanently wrong with it.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
chubb and dobbins out for the season. ekeler and barkley looking at multi-week absences. and we're only two weeks into the season

who can blame GMs for not wanting to dish out $$$ for RBs?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s not going to change the market on running backs, kids will just stop playing the position.
Given the build of most RB, switch is either to slot Receiver or CB/S. Have to make that switch in HS.

If McCaffery is a decade younger and just finishing HS or a freshman in college, I’d advise him to stop playing RB and play only slot WR.

Lots of sub 6 foot RB. Guys like Henry could go LB as well or maybe even TE.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It’s not going to change the market on running backs, kids will just stop playing the position.
The very best of the best maybe will try to transition away from the spot. But there will still be plenty of players willing to do it. When the choices come down to being cut from the team or playing RB, most will choose to play RB. Play Div 3 at slot WR/DB or play Div 1 at RB? Play in NFL or nothing? There will still be plenty of players willing to play RB.

But sure players like Henry probably will transition away from it cause he has the size and athleticism to play elsewhere. Less probably elite athletes at the position, probably making the position even less differential between top guys and middle of the road guys, making the position even more replaceable, making salaries go down even more, making even less players want to play it, making all those who can transition away from it to do that, and so on and so forth. Vicious circle.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The very best of the best maybe will try to transition away from the spot. But there will still be plenty of players willing to do it. When the choices come down to being cut from the team or playing RB, most will choose to play RB. Play Div 3 at slot WR/DB or play Div 1 at RB? Play in NFL or nothing? There will still be plenty of players willing to play RB.

But sure players like Henry probably will transition away from it cause he has the size and athleticism to play elsewhere. Less probably elite athletes at the position, probably making the position even less differential between top guys and middle of the road guys, making the position even more replaceable, making salaries go down even more, making even less players want to play it, making all those who can transition away from it to do that, and so on and so forth. Vicious circle.
No doubt, if you need to get a scholarship, then you play RB. And it's the elite guys who have a future in the NFL that need to switch. Will still be RBs in the NFL, but not as talented as BJ Robinson, McCaffery, Henry, Barkley, etc. Guys who get drafted on day 3, will still play RB.

But, it's a different skillset to be a WR, CB, S than a RB. Have to as a teenager change the workouts and not squat the 500-600 lbs that RBs can squat. Earlier the change is made the better chance of making that transition successfully and at a high enough level that makes you more money than a RB.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Those players, yes, to get higher up the depth chart, but they will be obviously less talented players

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Those players, yes, to get higher up the depth chart, but they will be obviously less talented players
Would mean that there will likely be fewer explosive run plays if the RBs don't have as good vision, burst, ability to make the cut, etc. as the elite RBs can.
Or like Lynch, able to get more yards than most other RBs can on a play. Lynch could turn no gain to a 2-3 yard gain. That can add up over the course of a game or series when you face 3rd and 6 vs 3rd and 9. Opens up more of the playbook.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I feel bad for Chubb. I am a Steelers fan but you never want to see anything like that on a football field. The NFL needs great players like Chubb healthy. I hope he comes back better than ever next season
We all feel bad for Chubb. This does reinforce why players have contract issues and want to get paid. (I feel more for guys who haven't gotten paid yet), unlike the likes of Chris Jones, Zack Martin, who got a big 2nd contract in the NFL after their rookie deal. Also get Bosa since he only signed a rookie deal, though as the 2OA pick, so close to $30 million on his rookie deal.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I remember many years ago in 2015 watching when he hurt his knee against Tennessee. That was ugly too. Awesome player and seems like a great human. He was on a HOF trajectory, who knows now.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I like this.

Nothing can really be done to change RB economics, but teams can help by doing right by these guys when they get hurt. Pay the man.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I like this.

Nothing can really be done to change RB economics, but teams can help by doing right by these guys when they get hurt. Pay the man.

Given how hard it is for RBs to get anything other than the tag, the agent got Chubb 2 years guaranteed basically. Cleveland is going to want to have that cap room to work with so, their doctors will let them know before the start of free agency in mid March what the prognosis is for Chubb. For sure, Cleveland acquires another RB, via the draft or free agency. His base salary for 2024 is $11.775 mill with $25K active roster bonus per each game, so up to $425K.

If the worst occurs and this was Chubb's final NFL game, he would have made $34.1 million in his 6 year career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad