Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Almost no way this doesn't have a negative impact on the locker room The first time I'm sure it ruffled some feathers, but to do it again is just not forgotten by these guys. You have some long time vets on their last stints and the guy put himself first yet again.
He's actually done it three times. Last year in the playoffs. This year in the regular season, and again this year in the playoffs.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Don't know who was made avaliable to the media and who wasn't. Makar never gives much of a soundbite other than tired cliches. I haven't seen any interviews with Mack or Mikko.
Oh...but Big Mack was angry in his Game 3 postgame interview. Angry at some stupid question from a reporter, but definitely not angry enough to go out on the ice in Game 4 and lay some licks on Dallas Stars. Funny how that works. When his razzle-dazzle goes nowhere in a game, instead of countering with physicality & meat-and-potatoes hockey, he gets mad & pouts instead; and takes it out on some reporter.

Rantanen? Who cares what that lazy slug has to say? Here's hoping this was his last home game in an Avs sweater.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I am certain the Avs will terminate this contract.

Not a f***ing word of positivity from anyone about the guy. Nameplate already gone. Third official offence in 12 months.

He's gone. They'll mediate, Nuke will get some money, all will be handled but he is gone and I hope Gabriel Landeskog beats the f*** out of him on the way out.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015

Not a f***ing word of positivity from anyone about the guy. Nameplate already gone. Third official offence in 12 months.

He's gone. They'll mediate, Nuke will get some money, all will be handled but he is gone and I hope Gabriel Landeskog beats the f*** out of him on the way out.
Here's hoping he gets his visa cancelled, and he's deported back to Mother Russia; where he finds himself conscripted into the army and shipped off to the Ukrainian front lines.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He's from the same city in Russia as Kuznetsov and Voynov. You have to wonder what's in the water there.

Reactions: Nihiliste

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Is failing a drug test enough to terminate a contract?. I’m sorry, I asked this like 400 times already, but I just don’t know the rules of contract terminations

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
This is also true. Could be a direction to go in. Let him come back, dont try and cover for him or sweep anything under the rug anymore. Let him go off the rails again and then he's out of the league and we're cleared of the issue.
Definitely not the way to go. There could be a mutiny in the dressing room. The players are definitely mad as hell, and I can see someone refusing to sign with Colorado if they have to play with him again.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
He's from the same city in Russia as Kuznetsov and Voynov. You have to wonder what's in the water there.
Cocaine is common in the NHL. Players don't drink as much alcohol after the games as they used to. In International hockey one would get a ban of 4 years, in the NHL some assistance program.

Reactions: davpower

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Unfortunate. One of the best playoff performers in the league. He has 19 goals in his last 28 playoff games. Absolute beast.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
@StLAvsFan is onto something. A felony conviction is most definitely grounds for deportation. (John Lennon was deported from the USA.) Nuke is currently on a work visa. Are the rules more strict now, especially being from Russia? All contracts have tenets about the ability to obtain and maintain a visa.

As a person, I wish Nuke all the best. Addiction is a bitch. That said, to be so stupid as to dodge the hooker bullet in Seattle then fail drug tests twice?!?!?!? He gets no wiggle room from me professionally.

However, if one thinks about it, Nuke's disappearance opens a spot for little Kovalenko. Perhaps daddy Andrei could find an oligarch to supply a 'golden parachute' in Russia? Surely, there must be plenty of shady characters within earshot of some KHL teams who would not mind coke and hookers on a resume. Nuke even has the resume photo with the AK!

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Oh f*** they actually replaced the name plate already, thought you guys were exaggerating. He's gone gone.
While i think he's gone gone, taking his nameplate down wouldn't indicate anything. he's suspended for 6 months, what's the point of keeping his nameplate up at this point in the season?

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
While i think he's gone gone, taking his nameplate down wouldn't indicate anything. he's suspended for 6 months, what's the point of keeping his nameplate up at this point in the season?
Because if the plate stayed up, it would be a sign the team was behind him and understood he was trying to kick the addiction but was in too deep. He's still on the team, we want him back.

Taking the plate down says "f*** that guy we're moving on"

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
There is no way you can let Nuke back in that locker room. Two years in a row you crash a potential cup run solely due to your misbehavior. I hope he gets the help he needs but I cannot imagine he will lace them up for the Avalanche again. What a shame it ended this way since if the Avs went on a run he would have been a leading Conn Smythe candidate with how he was playing.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Get his ass off this team asap.

I only feel sorry for his wife and yound child, aka Family. Thats it.

He con go and f*** himself. I dont care anymore. 3 Strikes within 1 year. What an idiot.

Reactions: Nihiliste

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Because if the plate stayed up, it would be a sign the team was behind him and understood he was trying to kick the addiction but was in too deep. He's still on the team, we want him back.

Taking the plate down says "f*** that guy we're moving on"
I do think the team is done with Val, but I don't think the nameplate was any nail-in-the-coffin type thing. They just needed the stall for a player who will likely take his spot.

What really seems to be telling was Jack Johnson's response

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
but I don't think the nameplate was any nail-in-the-coffin type thing. They just needed the stall for a player who will likely take his spot.
Maybe they needed the place, but i think the team wanted to send a message.

NO f***ING WAY Nuke will ever see this locker again.

I get it that the NHLPA wants to protect the players, but 3 times in one year and, as my understanding, you still cant do anything about it and get f***ed cap-wise?

At some point this bullshit needs to stop and even the NHLPA needs to realize that certain players are not worth this drama. Hell, at what point Bettman and the league get involved?

The Seattle-thing was allready "borderline". Then his "sleepin-problems" a few month later and than a failed drug test hours before puck drop to Game 4, basically a do-or-die game for this team.

He made his decision, he can now live with the consequences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad