Speculation: Nice problem to have: Our depth and the question of who we will send down eventually

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Tell that to the Pens fans, most of them would've pulled the trigger on that deal, maybe you forgot Martin is upcoming UFA and Pitts is loaded with defensive prospects...

cup team he is their best d man really if they are in the cup mix they wont trade him even though he might say wont resign look at last year they let two guys go.

if have multiple injuries they might trade him but otherwise I dont see it

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
cup team he is their best d man really if they are in the cup mix they wont trade him even though he might say wont resign look at last year they let two guys go.

if have multiple injuries they might trade him but otherwise I dont see it

Exactly, Martin is very likely to sign elsewhere next year, they have plethora of promising pmd prospects soon to be ready and they need to free cap space.
So what the Pens fans seemed to like about that proposal is they can add a decent top 6 winger, which is precisely their main weakness, instead of losing Martin for nothing in the off-season. Maybe TB would have to add a late draft pick but whatever this deal is unlikely to happen.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Exactly, Martin is very likely to sign elsewhere next year, they have plethora of promising pmd prospects soon to be ready and they need to free cap space.
So what the Pens fans seemed to like about that proposal is they can add a decent top 6 winger, which is precisely their main weakness, instead of losing Martin for nothing in the off-season. Maybe TB would have to add a late draft pick but whatever this deal is unlikely to happen.

I think, I am not entirely sure, Callahan is the only upcoming UFA that YzerJesus has ever traded for. Although the team is good this year we are not going to win a Stanley Cup. YzeJeus is shrewd so I can see him trying to sign Martin, especially with Brewer coming up but not trading for him.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I think, I am not entirely sure, Callahan is the only upcoming UFA that YzerJesus has ever traded for. Although the team is good this year we are not going to win a Stanley Cup.
YzeJeus is shrewd so I can see him trying to sign Martin, especially with Brewer coming up but not trading for him.

Careful this one could come back to bite you. No jinx just kidding :laugh:

More seriously I feel this team is one good dman away from being a real threat. Maybe a year too young but it's troubling because we usually don't expect young players to be already so responsible... But the truth is IMO when a chance comes along at this level of competition, you must to be able to seize it... Injuries, trade, drama queens (you see who am I talking about) you just never know what to expect with this game.

So, if this team keeps winning on consistent basis until the deadline they should go for it and trade Killorn+ (no way Palat, Kucherov ect, ect of course) for a rental dman. I know Pittsburgh won't trade Martin unless major collapse it was more an example of what Killorn+ could get in return.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Careful this one could come back to bite you. No jinx just kidding :laugh:

More seriously I feel this team is one good dman away from being a real threat. Maybe a year too young but it's troubling because we usually don't expect young players to be already so responsible... But the truth is IMO when a chance comes along at this level of competition, you must to be able to seize it... Injuries, trade, drama queens (you see who am I talking about) you just never know what to expect with this game.

So, if this team keeps winning on consistent basis until the deadline they should go for it and trade Killorn+ (no way Palat, Kucherov ect, ect of course) for a rental dman. I know Pittsburgh won't trade Martin unless major collapse it was more an example of what Killorn+ could get in return.

The problem with getting a rental is we have next to zero chance of re-signing him with our cap situation. We'll have ~4 million in cap space after re-signing the guys who are up for it (most shouldn't require much of a raise), and Killorn is pretty cheap for a guy we can slide anywhere in the line up. If he ends up as a full time fourth liner, sure, move him, but beyond that, we may want to hold on to him.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Yes it would be only for this season indeed. I understand losing an useful player for a 3-4 months rental is kinda unnatural.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Yes it would be only for this season indeed. I understand losing an useful player for a 3-4 months rental is kinda unnatural.

I'm against it, honestly. I don't think that's how you build contenders. If you want to package him for a long term upgrade somewhere, fine, but for a guy for a few months - no. That's why Killorn for Martin just doesn't make sense for me, unless there is a high conditional pick/picks for if we don't re-sign him.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
It's definitely a minor win now move, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't but like I said I understand if some of you don't like that idea.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Our depth is a crucial strength, not a problem nice or otherwise.

If we get completely healthy again then Paquette goes down. No big deal.

We don't need to trade any of our young forwards yet. It is too soon in their careers. They're cheap, cost controlled, effective NHLers already and may still improve. It is too soon in this season as regards the team itself, we don't have any glaring 'need' yet. Don't fix what ain't broke! There are minutes enough for everybody to get their fair opportunities to contribute. Let the team get healthy and comfortable in their identity before seeking to shake things up again.

We shouldn't be moving roster players for deadline rentals either. Picks and/or prospects not in the NHL or no deal.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I think, I am not entirely sure, Callahan is the only upcoming UFA that YzerJesus has ever traded for. Although the team is good this year we are not going to win a Stanley Cup. YzeJeus is shrewd so I can see him trying to sign Martin, especially with Brewer coming up but not trading for him.

Yzerman was gunning for it in this off season. I'm not expecting to win the Cup either this season, but I do think we will compete for it. Who know's, a favorable match up, and next thing you know were playing in June and all bets are off.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

I'm not saying we will, because there are a lot of question marks with the youth, but Yzerman has put together a team he thinks can contend, and we're seeing that on the ice. This is not a team that would be happy with just making the playoffs - it's built for a run. This might not be the year we win it, but it's a year we're supposed to contend for it.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
At this point I wouldn't like that, no. Don't know if the Blues would do it either.

Not sure as well, Shattenkirck is their best defenseman right now and scored as many points as Kucherov in one less games. But I think both teams could potentially win this trade. Just imagin Hedman and Shattenkirck together. And Steen - Stastny - Kucherov line along with Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko...

Juusho

Jun 17, 2011
Finland
Not sure as well, Shattenkirck is their best defenseman right now and scored as many points as Kucherov in one less games. But I think both teams could potentially win this trade. Just imagin Hedman and Shattenkirck together. And Steen - Stastny - Kucherov line along with Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko...

It could possibly be a starting point to a trade, yeah. As a one-on-one trade, though, won't happen.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Guys what do you think about Kucherov for Shattenkirck trade?

Kucherov is a monster. When he gets his body to catch up with his skill - this kid is gonna put up some monster numbers. I wouldn't trade him - I think he is part of the untouchable Tampa core at this point.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Guys what do you think about Kucherov for Shattenkirck trade?

Not good for us since Shattenkirk will most likely only be on our 2nd pair with Stralman set on the first. Plus we really don't need defenseman right now. If you take Carle off our hands as well and throw in a winger prospect like Rattie then I can see a deal being possible.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yzerman was gunning for it in this off season. I'm not expecting to win the Cup either this season, but I do think we will compete for it. Who know's, a favorable match up, and next thing you know were playing in June and all bets are off.

The way the east is it would not surprise me to see the lightning in the finals now winning the finals I really doubt it with the Hawks and kings there

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Kucherov is a monster. When he gets his body to catch up with his skill - this kid is gonna put up some monster numbers. I wouldn't trade him - I think he is part of the untouchable Tampa core at this point.

Don't think kucherov or Drouin is getting moved unless it's for Connor mcdavid

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Don't think kucherov or Drouin is getting moved unless it's for Connor mcdavid

SFY apparently had the best offer for the Ekblad pick last year so maybe he'll try to move up again this year. I highly doubt the 1st or 2nd picks will be traded this year though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad