Niagara IceDogs 2022-23 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
I don't know about this trade...this is reminiscent of last year. We traded for decent players that had never played together and it didn't work.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
THE OWNERSHIP, THE SCOUTS AND THE ASSISTANT GM HAVE NO F>>>ING CLUE. Maybe watch a game or two in the regular season to see what you need and what you can live with and make decisions then.

I am thinking of ripping up my seasons tickets and building a fire...anybody got some kindling? F... me here we go again

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The price was steep, but I like the trade for Niagara.
The LW depth chart for Niagara was He, Roobroek, Galyanov, and one of O’Flarehty, Copeland, and Klein?
In return a winner, not a passenger on a winning team; and Paris a RC/RW with playmaking ability, of which the Ice Dogs have …none? Lavoie is scorer.

Reactions: three dog night

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
The price was steep, but I like the trade for Niagara.
The LW depth chart for Niagara was He, Roobroek, Galyanov, and one of O’Flarehty, Copeland, and Klein?
In return a winner, not a passenger on a winning team; and Paris a RC/RW with playmaking ability, of which the Ice Dogs have …none? Lavoie is scorer.
Neat. So why the F are they giving 2nds and 3rds then? Copeland is clearly the better 05. So you’re downgrading one forward and giving up picks for what? An OA that won’t make a dent in their rebuild?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Neat. So why the F are they giving 2nds and 3rds then? Copeland is clearly the better 05. So you’re downgrading one forward and giving up picks for what? An OA that won’t make a dent in their rebuild?
M.Hunter wanted a bit much for Humphrey, so Niagara counters with only if you take Copeland off our hands?
No ifs, ands, or buts, Copeland is not top six for Niagara and an awful option for a defensive role.
Bottom line, Niagara is better for the trade. Acquiring a 2nd right shot with some offensive potential among 15 forwards was probably an objective.
And let’s be really honest. The two biggest needs of the IceDogs roster was a very solid leadership group and a young-ish stud D.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
M.Hunter wanted a bit much for Humphrey, so Niagara counters with only if you take Copeland off our hands?
No ifs, ands, or buts, Copeland is not top six for Niagara and an awful option for a defensive role.
Bottom line, Niagara is better for the trade. Acquiring a 2nd right shot with some offensive potential among 15 forwards was probably an objective
That’s an awful take. You’re only allowed two scoring lines? Niagara barely has one.

So fine you like the right shot. If you spend the picks get a better right shot. Paris is not win just because he shoots right.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That’s an awful take. You’re only allowed two scoring lines? Niagara barely has one.

So fine you like the right shot. If you spend the picks get a better right shot. Paris is not win just because he shoots right.
Paris is a win because he can play the right side and may earn a top six role in the next three seasons. Copeland would never pass He & Roobroek on the depth chart and effectively played himself out of a role on a bottom six team.

Reactions: three dog night

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Paris is a win because he can play the right side and may earn a top six role in the next three seasons. Copeland would never pass He & Roobroek on the depth chart and effectively played himself out of a role on a bottom six team.
You are missing my point.

I understand that they might want to bring in a right shot. That’s fine. Nothing wrong there.

However, Ideally if the goal is to bring in a right shot, you want to bring one the is AT LEAST as good as Copeland. Handing over picks, you now need to get someone BETTER THAN Copeland. Paris is not better than Copeland. They have not helped themselves.

Reactions: Roadhog

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You are missing my point.

I understand that they might want to bring in a right shot. That’s fine. Nothing wrong there.

However, Ideally if the goal is to bring in a right shot, you want to bring one the is AT LEAST as good as Copeland. Handing over picks, you now need to get someone BETTER THAN Copeland. Paris is not better than Copeland. They have not helped themselves.
I cannot say I know what Paris is or can be.
I can tell you after watching 15+ Niagara games last season that Copeland did nothing to help his team win. Humphrey will make the team better. Roobroek and He are the team’s future. I would play Klein and O’Flaherty before Copeland. Galiyanov will need a real opportunity next season, at least.
The point is, Copeland had to be moved. For the IceDogs sake, hopefully Paris can contribute. Honestly, I think the IceDogs were fortunate not to have to move Copeland for a 6-8 pick. For Copeland’s sake, I hope he does everything Hunter asks at 100%.

Last edited:

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
I can tell you after watching 15+ Niagara games last season that Copeland did nothing to help his team win. Humphrey will make the team better. Roobroek and He are the team’s future. I would play Klein and O’Flaherty before Copeland. Galiyanov will need a real opportunity next season, at least.
The point is, Copeland had to be moved. For the IceDogs sake, hopefully Paris can contribute. Honestly, I think the IceDogs were fortunate not to have to move Copeland for a 6-8 pick. For Copeland’s sake, I hope he does everything Hunter asks at 100%.
Copeland is a lazy player...he cost the IceDogs way more goals than he participated in. At this point, i would have started the season with Juan and if it didn't start well, I would search for a young player with potential and trade the picks...sit Juan in the stands.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Kids play on off wings all the time. I know it is ideal to have righties on the right and lefties on the left but it rarely works out that way.

I would have preferred to tinker with the wings a little and see if they can shift guys around to fill holes before adding OAs again this season by punting picks.

Humphrey is a good player but he isn’t the type of player that will fill the net. The only true justification for acquiring him is to see the “C” on his jersey and let him be the captain of the ship and help instill a new culture in that room. If that is why he was acquired then fine. I can get behind that. But if anyone else has the “C” then I don’t understand it.

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
No disrespect to all the X and O analysis BUT if management were looking to change the cultural and accountability amongst the players how can you possibly argue the aquisitions? Two (Humprey and Federkow) of the very best "team first" OA players from one of the elite OHL franchises. I would suggest the cost versus what they have actually received is reasonable. Now they have to know enough to get out of the way of both of these OA players and let them lead. London has rolled the dice a bit these two were key leadership pieces.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I feel like this is the same song and dance you were giving last year. Each time Niagara gets fleeced, it’s somehow making them better. Last year every brutal trade you justified by saying it was a GM building towards a mem cup bid. You justified the Dylan Roobroeck trade by saying Evan Klein would be a replacement level player…. One guy had a career sophomore season and got drafted, the other had 3 total points on the season.

How much longer are you going to carry water for an organization that is making a mockery of itself?

What exactly are the rest of us missing here?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Kids play on off wings all the time. I know it is ideal to have righties on the right and lefties on the left but it rarely works out that way.

I would have preferred to tinker with the wings a little and see if they can shift guys around to fill holes before adding OAs again this season by punting picks.

Humphrey is a good player but he isn’t the type of player that will fill the net. The only true justification for acquiring him is to see the “C” on his jersey and let him be the captain of the ship and help instill a new culture in that room. If that is why he was acquired then fine. I can get behind that. But if anyone else has the “C” then I don’t understand it.
For some ‘shooters’, it is ideal to play off wing. Most cannot play off the boards as effectively back handed though. Copeland obviously could not play on the off wing. Dann, Castle, He, Waddick, O’Flaherty did.
The picks could have been put to better use on no-shows or reaching for prospects that will report? Humphrey will be good for the team I think. The young man is a winner.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I feel like this is the same song and dance you were giving last year. Each time Niagara gets fleeced, it’s somehow making them better. Last year every brutal trade you justified by saying it was a GM building towards a mem cup bid. You justified the Dylan Roobroeck trade by saying Evan Klein would be a replacement level player…. One guy had a career sophomore season and got drafted, the other had 3 total points on the season.

How much longer are you going to carry water for an organization that is making a mockery of itself?

What exactly are the rest of us missing here?
Roobroek developed in Oshawa no doubt. In Niagara, he had a good week after the Christmas break, then disappeared again. It turns out he is terror with the gloves off, but let’s not get too carried away with the career sophomore season stuff.

Bringing in vets early last year, some of them multi-year players, to stabilize the D and help develop at least 3-1sts born 2004 and 3-2nds born 2005, I thought they were building for this season.
It really didn’t work out. A toxic atmosphere; uninspired two-way play from Dann, Castle, Sirrizotti, Copeland; and Keane, Jesus, and Cato out of the line-up at the same time were all factors.
Klein-Roobroek was insignificant in comparison imo. If you are able, make a relevant correlation of the poor use of assets by Niagara will result in being a non-factor for a decade like Oshawa.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
For some ‘shooters’, it is ideal to play off wing. Most cannot play off the boards as effectively back handed though. Copeland obviously could not play on the off wing. Dann, Castle, He, Waddick, O’Flaherty did.
The picks could have been put to better use on no-shows or reaching for prospects that will report? Humphrey will be good for the team I think. The young man is a winner.

I guess that is a good point. A 2nd round pick in the hands of Niagara is a 4th round pick because that’s how deep they need to go to get guys to report. That is a problem unto itself that needs to change. They can’t change that until the team starts to improve on the ice. Vicious cycle they have put themselves in.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
You need a Dman to complete the starting lineup

Humphrey-Paris-Levin
Federkow
Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad