NHL's year in Review 10/22

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
Oct. 22: Consol Energy Center sings "Oh, Canada"

The Canadian national anthem is typically only sung in American NHL cities (besides Buffalo) when a team from a Canadian city is the visiting club. When a gunman opened fire in downtown Ottawa and killed a soldier, Corporal Nathan Cirillo, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers wanted to show their support and the fans at Consol Energy Center obliged, helping Jeff Jimerson sing "Oh, Canada' before the Keystone State rivals squared off.

Don't they know we always sing the anthems when Jeff Jimerson sings? It was very respectable to sing Oh Canada for the fallen Canadian but I don't feel that we deserve any sort of recognition. A majority of players are Canadian so its respectable to do it for them too.

In my opinion whether its 2 American teams, 2 Canadian teams, or 1 of each; I think that both the Canadian and National Anthem should be sung for every game.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=745440

That's the article he's referring to, for anybody that's confused.

As for the question, no.

1) It was a great moment of solidarity that had emotional impact precisely BECAUSE it wasn't the daily matter of course.

2) We can't sing every anthem for every nationality with a presence in the NHL out of respect to the players that might be on the teams that night. I love Canada (and living here ATM), but sometimes the 'It's OUR game' gets a little out of control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad