NHL work stoppage hurts everyone including future NHL and minor league players

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
NHL work stoppage is hurting everyone and making a mockery of the game. Hot dog vendors, concessions, parking, bars, restaurants, charities etc. etc. etc. and every pro, junior and college hockey team in North America are being affected in a bad way by this work stoppage.

My own opinion is shared by many that Goodenow is the root of all evil in this dispute. I think many players know it as well but either lack the backbone to do what needs to be done or their loyalty to Bob for his past results won't allow their brains or good sense to overcome their emotions. Others will blame the owners and or Bettman but most blame the players.

Players claim it's about standing up for a principle but stood down on their hard cap principle last month so this is now strictly about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The claim they want to take a stand for future NHL players. Guess what. This principle has not only halved their own future earning power but has also cost many current and future hockey players their jobs and potential earning power. It has led to displacing players in Europe and North America. It has led to the closure of business operations and also led to many permanent layoffs. All because 42.5 hard with an average NHL salary of 1.3 or more wasn't quite high enough. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I see the argument sometimes that the players are fighting for future players. They have also played a role in stalling the progress of how many young players who would have played some or all of this year in the NHL? But I feel the worst for all of the other people who lost their jobs because the NHL cancelled this season.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
eye said:
NHL work stoppage is hurting everyone and making a mockery of the game. Hot dog vendors, concessions, parking, bars, restaurants, charities etc. etc. etc. and every pro, junior and college hockey team in North America are being affected in a bad way by this work stoppage.

I totally agree. The NHL owners should immediately end this asinine lockout and go back to the previous CBA, which was fair and equitable for all teams while retaining financial incentive for them to produce a successful on-ice product.

chiavsfan

I totally agree. The NHL owners should immediately end this asinine lockout and go back to the previous CBA, which was fair and equitable for all teams while retaining financial incentive for them to produce a successful on-ice product.

You're serious? Sucessful on ice product? The same CBA that allowed a whopping 5 stanley cup winners in 10 years (Tampa, Colorado, Detroit, Dallas, NJ)

The same CBA that was about to cost the NHL teams and the PA jobs? The same CBA where 3rd and 4th liners were draining a teams Salary?

Yeah, lets get back to that so I can see some more washed up hacks thinking they can still play

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Goodenow may be the "evil man" of the 6 month lockout...but don't forget the commissioner that was in office for the passed 13 or so years. (multiple work stoppages, awful expansion etc)...you can't expect the players to be so easy going to fix Bettmans mistakes...Goodenow simply works for the demands of the players

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
nyrmessier011 said:
Goodenow may be the "evil man" of the 6 month lockout...but don't forget the commissioner that was in office for the passed 13 or so years. (multiple work stoppages, awful expansion etc)...you can't expect the players to be so easy going to fix Bettmans mistakes...Goodenow simply works for the demands of the players

...and Bettman simply works for the demands of the owners.

There's been a ton of demonizing regarding Bettman on here and certain hotspots in the media since the cancellation of the season, some warranted and some ridiculously dramatic.

I'm not saying he doesn't have power, but if he were fired tomorrow I don't think the owners would magically capitulate on their cost certainty stance and give the players the world on a plate. The NHL wants a new landscape from the ground up, Bettman is simply there to make it happen for them.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
eye said:

My own opinion is shared by many that Goodenow is the root of all evil in this dispute. I think many players know it as well but either lack the backbone to do what needs to be done or their loyalty to Bob for his past results won't allow their brains or good sense to overcome their emotions. Others will blame the owners and or Bettman but most blame the players.

Players claim it's about standing up for a principle but stood down on their hard cap principle last month so this is now strictly about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The claim they want to take a stand for future NHL players. Guess what. This principle has not only halved their own future earning power but has also cost many current and future hockey players their jobs and potential earning power. It has led to displacing players in Europe and North America. It has led to the closure of business operations and also led to many permanent layoffs. All because 42.5 hard with an average NHL salary of 1.3 or more wasn't quite high enough. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead
Why do you make countless rants about how its Goodenows fault. Time i put the ignore on you. If you keep it all its one thread or where its suppose to go (in the Rant thread) then ill unignore you.

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
chiavsfan said:
You're serious? Sucessful on ice product? The same CBA that allowed a whopping 5 stanley cup winners in 10 years (Tampa, Colorado, Detroit, Dallas, NJ)

The same CBA that was about to cost the NHL teams and the PA jobs? The same CBA where 3rd and 4th liners were draining a teams Salary?

Yeah, lets get back to that so I can see some more washed up hacks thinking they can still play

I guess his sarcasm is lost on you.

mackdogs*

Pavel said:
I guess his sarcasm is lost on you.
Can't really blame him. Most Senators fans seem to have lost their mind since a billionaire took over their team. They just want the cups they feel their team will now win (shyah) and want their chance to buy a winner. ie. they want the exact opposite of what they needed a few years ago. I guess we humans are inherently selfish.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I'm sure

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Why do you make countless rants about how its Goodenows fault. Time i put the ignore on you. If you keep it all its one thread or where its suppose to go (in the Rant thread) then ill unignore you.

he'd be all broken up about that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
chiavsfan said:

How many different cup winners were there in the 80s? the 70s? the 60s? I think it's just evidence of the natural cyclical nature of sports, that every ten years or so a group of teams rise to the top and dominate awhile before falling back and new teams generally rise up. And of those teams you mentioned, I would say that only one cup (the last Wings cup) should be considered "bought." Though they still had more drafted players on their team than their opponents, the Canes.

I think that closing the rookie bonus loopholes and re-working arbitration to make it more owner friendly would have went a long way towards making the old CBA a viable model for the league. Throw in a high cap, and low luxury tax, and it could have been a winner, imo.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Many Junior clubs have set attendance records this year. Not to mention the kids at the local arenas have been playing to slightly bigger crowds as well. If anything this lockout is good for grassroots hockey.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:

Look who is calling the kettle black. There is an angle and a point to every thread or post that I contribute to this board. Feel free to disagree and state your viewpoints.

All you have done to date is grade everyone else's efforts while contributing very little substance or fact to anything that others have posted. In other words, your posts sound more like rants than almost anyone else on this board.

How about commenting on all the unfortunate unemployed people and displaced hockey players out there just because the players want a few more dollars before they can agree to a deal. Try to keep it in the present tense and avoid going back to exert blame or to express a viewpoint that only considers the large market clubs of the NHL and not the majority that need a system that actually works for everyone including the fans and the players.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
chiavsfan said:

Why don't you go further and list all the teams in the past 10 years that went to the conference finals.

Actually it is easier to list the teams who did not: Edmonton, Los Angeles, Montreal, Vancouver, NY Isles, Boston, Phoenix/Winnipeg, Nashville (expansion team), Atlanta (expansion team), Columbus (expansion team)

10 teams, 3 of them are less than 6 years old, everyone else went through some sort of rebuilding phase.

OilerNut*

But do you honestly think that the Oilers could build a team now that will be one of the top 5 teams in the league for a decade given the finances of todays NHL?

ResidentAlien*

chiavsfan said:

How about the one where the same team won it from 1955-1960 ?
or from 1976-79??
I would rather see more dynastys, but I dont think we will ever again if this "Fair Deal" is ever reached. I don't think there is anything really fair about being fair, in this case.
All is fair in love and war.
Poop or get off the pot.
If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen....eh

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
There are only two reasons why teams like Calgary, Anaheim, Carolina, Minnesota have done as well as they have;

The great equalizers. Oversized goalie equipment and illegal defense both of which won't be tolerated in the next era of the NHL.

30 teams on a fairly level playing field all starting out of the blocks at the sound of the starters pistol is the only way to grow hockey to help everyone including the players, owners and fans in the long run.

It's a shame that players think most of us fans are just idiots that don't understand the finances and inequities that have existed in the NHL and why it needs fixing. I think players could learn alot if they kept an open mind from reading all of the quality posts on HF. I think they would soon realize how Goodenow manipulates the way they think.

I think they will soon realize the only way to save the NHL and salvage some fans or regain fans that they have alienated is to throw Goodenow out and bring in a true leader like Burke, Meehan or Barnett to help them grow the game instead of tearing it apart to the point that hockey will strictly become a minor league sport.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
OilerNut said:
But do you honestly think that the Oilers could build a team now that will be one of the top 5 teams in the league for a decade given the finances of todays NHL?

I think nearly everyone would say it would be very unlikely to happen. However, that doesn't mean a very heavy handed cap system (say a max under $40 million) is needed. From what I've observed, the majority of people mark the early rapid acceleration of salaries as what breaks the NHL's financial back. Rookies getting $3+ million in their first years because of bonuses, having to qualify RFAs at such a high percentage level, etc.

A lot of the the conditions that led to the early acceleration of salaries could be taken care of without a cap/tax at all. And once those problems are successfully addressed, I think a team like Edmonton being able to build a long term successful franchise is very viable. Kick in a reasonable luxury tax/sal cap system, (for example, $40 million for tax to kick in, $50 million cap) to help reduce the UFA team building, and I think we'd have a winner. We would (hopefully) have a system that didn't punish teams that drafted very well, while prohibiting a team from writing off draft day and just surviving on big contracts over the summer.

A bit further off track, but something I think needs to be brought up, is that I'm not sure Edmonton's problems can be entirely placed on the financial landscape of the NHL. Give Edmonton (and I'm willing to bet all Canadian franchises) an equal dollar to work with as the American teams, and I don't think any of them would have too hard of a time keeping players they wanted to keep bad enough. I can't remember if it was last season, or the season before, but the Oil spent over $50 million canadian, but it equalled out to only in the low-mid $30 million range American. Unfortunately, that's something that's entirely out of the NHL's hands, unless they decided to create their own currency value.

HckyFght*

Go get'm eye!
Don't take any crap from these losers.
The decent watering holes around where the Caps play are hurtin for certain, and for that alone, somebody must pay!
-HckyFght!

OilerNut*

Winger98 said:
I think nearly everyone would say it would be very unlikely to happen. However, that doesn't mean a very heavy handed cap system (say a max under $40 million) is needed. From what I've observed, the majority of people mark the early rapid acceleration of salaries as what breaks the NHL's financial back. Rookies getting $3+ million in their first years because of bonuses, having to qualify RFAs at such a high percentage level, etc.

A lot of the the conditions that led to the early acceleration of salaries could be taken care of without a cap/tax at all. And once those problems are successfully addressed, I think a team like Edmonton being able to build a long term successful franchise is very viable. Kick in a reasonable luxury tax/sal cap system, (for example, $40 million for tax to kick in, $50 million cap) to help reduce the UFA team building, and I think we'd have a winner. We would (hopefully) have a system that didn't punish teams that drafted very well, while prohibiting a team from writing off draft day and just surviving on big contracts over the summer.

A bit further off track, but something I think needs to be brought up, is that I'm not sure Edmonton's problems can be entirely placed on the financial landscape of the NHL. Give Edmonton (and I'm willing to bet all Canadian franchises) an equal dollar to work with as the American teams, and I don't think any of them would have too hard of a time keeping players they wanted to keep bad enough. I can't remember if it was last season, or the season before, but the Oil spent over $50 million canadian, but it equalled out to only in the low-mid $30 million range American. Unfortunately, that's something that's entirely out of the NHL's hands, unless they decided to create their own currency value.

All I ask for is a somewhat level playing field then the Oilers can put up or shut up.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
eye said:

it's alway's the player's with you

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
mr gib said:
it's alway's the player's with you

Incorrect. Bob GoodEGOnow is the root of all evil and the #1 reason for what ails hockey. I do blame the players for not recognizing that and firing his sorry behind out the door so we can get back to playing hockey. The landscape of hockey will never be the same thanks to Bob and many are starting to believe that hockey could become a purely minor league sport. I'm starting to think the only way to get fans back is to start off new with new players and a new direction. Not many fans will forgive Goodenow and if he is still the ED of the PA many fans will not be back when and if the NHL resumes play. I really believe that the PA could get a much better offer from the owners without Bob.

Is that what Bob and the players want? Do they really think that people will come out in sufficient #'s to support the players financially in the WHA or WHA tournament? Not this fan. I won't even watch it on TV.

Last edited:

SENSible1*

mackdogs said:
Can't really blame him. Most Senators fans seem to have lost their mind since a billionaire took over their team. They just want the cups they feel their team will now win (shyah) and want their chance to buy a winner. ie. they want the exact opposite of what they needed a few years ago. I guess we humans are inherently selfish.

Sad, but true. I expected far better from our fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad