NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Yes. USA doesn't really have all that much original programming that's worth airing over NHL.
Didn’t they move a WWE program from Wednesdays to Tuesdays when they thought they were retaining the NHL?

NBC did make an offer, it just wasn’t close to what the league was looking for (i think the report was $125 million vs the $225 million that TNT is paying). Ultimately NBC opted to save money for the B10 and maybe NBA rights.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Didn’t they move a WWE program from Wednesdays to Tuesdays when they thought they were retaining the NHL?

NBC did make an offer, it just wasn’t close to what the league was looking for (i think the report was $125 million vs the $225 million that TNT is paying). Ultimately NBC opted to save money for the B10 and maybe NBA rights.
Was their offer up from the prior deal?

Reaser

May 19, 2021
No, but it was also bidding on half of what the previous deal was in terms of content. I’m sure there was some resentment with the NHL splitting the rights.

Yup. Previous deal NBC was paying an average of $200m a season. Their offer was half that ($100m) and was seen as a token offer, as in no hard feelings and giving the perception of bidding, instead of just saying they were done with the NHL. As a favor to the league, while making an offer that obviously wasn't going to get the "B" package.

The WWE night change, all the media 'insiders', especially the wrestling ones said that had nothing to do with the NHL.

The other things:

- NHL let ESPN put together the "A" package so essentially they structured what the A/B packages would be.

- As said, NBC was bidding on half of the rights they previously had. So being asked for the same $200m a season -which they were already paying for the full package- for half the playoffs and 3 SCF in 7 years probably didn't make a whole lot of sense, to them. Understandably.

- Premier League rights were ending the following season. So paying the same (or even more since it ended up over $200m) for half of what they already had verse putting that $ towards keeping the full Premier League rights/package.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
- Premier League rights were ending the following season. So paying the same (or even more since it ended up over $200m) for half of what they already had verse putting that $ towards keeping the full Premier League rights/package.

This is also why I don't really buy the narrative that "NBC dropped the NHL so they could bid on the NBA."

The numbers don't add up on that.

They were paying average per season:
NHL: $200m
PL: $183m

That NHL $200m per season freed up for months later the new PL deal which became $450m per season.

Increase of roughly $267m per season for NBC to keep the Premier League. $200m of that used to go towards the NHL, now was going towards retaining the Premier League.

Makes a bit more sense than "NBC saved $200 million a year so they could bid $2.5 BILLION a year for the NBA three years later."

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
So, why would 200K people watch the game on truTV instead of just going to TBS/TNT? Or are these 200K people senior citizens who came for Practical Jokers for their daily nap and left it on the game? I am confused.

If there's an overlap the start of the next game goes to TruTV.

I can't remember if the Panthers/Lightning game overlapped or not.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Pattaya, Thailand
Looks like the NHL might lose out on one of the rare ABC windows. They have Saturday 8pm on ABC. Problem is there might not be a game if Boston wins tonight. The west isn’t ready to start round 2. Rangers can’t play because the Knicks have MSG on Saturday. Night. Even if Boston wins, Florida’s arena is booked for Saturday night.

Basically what I’m saying is bet your mortgage on the Leafs tonight. No way Gary is going to lose out on a prime time broadcast slot.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Looks like the NHL might lose out on one of the rare ABC windows. They have Saturday 8pm on ABC. Problem is there might not be a game if Boston wins tonight. The west isn’t ready to start round 2. Rangers can’t play because the Knicks have MSG on Saturday. Night. Even if Boston wins, Florida’s arena is booked for Saturday night.

Basically what I’m saying is bet your mortgage on the Leafs tonight. No way Gary is going to lose out on a prime time broadcast slot.
That would be a way bigger hit for Roger’s than ABC. Way more eyeballs lost, but that the way playoffs go, in any league, not all games go to 7.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Here's the AMA for Leafs-Bruins so far in Canada (English&French broadcasts) verse what Leafs-Bolts first round did up north last season (only #'s were we getting were overnights for CBC/SN so take that into consideration):

This year / Last year

Game 1: 2,7M / ?
Game 2: 2,5M / 2.5M
Game 3: 2,8M / 3.2M
Game 4: 3,1M / 2.6M
Game 5: 2,9M / 3.3M
Game 6: TBD / 4.4M
Average: TBD / 3.0M

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I know ESPN wants a Bruins/Rangers ECF bad. The #1 preference

Toronto vs NY ECF also wouldn't be terrible. Toronto has a lot of pull in the US.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Pattaya, Thailand
That would be a way bigger hit for Roger’s than ABC. Way more eyeballs lost, but that the way playoffs go, in any league, not all games go to 7.
You’re 100% right. A game 7 would be massive for Rogers. And not getting a game 7 would be brutal for Gary and the league office. No chance Boston is winning tonight. If Toronto somehow loses tonight, I won’t post in this thread again. That how confident I am.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NY Islanders-Carolina averaged 662,000 viewers nationally
Avalanche-Jets averaged 789,800 viewers nationally

Really solid numbers for Avalanche-Jets. Winnipeg isn't a city that you would think would move the needle at all in the US so these numbers are strong when you consider that
It didn’t, but Colorado will, they have more gravitas than Carolina and NYI combined.

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
Saturday is going to produce a big number.
Game 7 could come close to 4 million viewers on ABC Saturday night. (If not a little over). Game 7 of the Bruins/Panthers had 3.2 million viewers on cable last year. The interest will be higher this year with better story lines. Toronto, an original 6 team with a tough playoff history over the past several decades. Also a Bruins team would be devastated with a loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: