GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Day (NHL & NJ deals, rumors, speculation, etc) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
Kinda want to see Oates stick around, maybe move him into management. There were rumors a while back he could end up GM and Stevens as coach, I don't think its a terrible idea.

DevilinDC

Mar 22, 2014
I feel like I am in the minority by still being a believer in Lou, but DevilinDC be like

tumblr_inline_myycka6kC81qb7qbj.jpg

Big ol :)

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I wouldn't of given up a 2nd for Sven so I'm not seeing where Lou missed on these younger guys that moved.

Yupp, and also I wouldn't have made the Connolly deal. Connolly could very well fail to meet expectations, or fall out of the league entirely, and everyone would look at the second round of the 2015 draft and say "we could of had [insert player selected at or after our pick(s)] instead of Connolly. Screw Lou."

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why do people think Oates would be a good GM? He's never had a day of management experience above HC. Just because some cockamamie rumor surfaced on Sportsnet a while back or wherever it was?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wouldn't of given up a 2nd for Sven so I'm not seeing where Lou missed on these younger guys that moved.

Honestly of all these deals being mentioned as 'misses' I'd really have only rolled the dice on Pirri cause it was a 3 and 5, though I suspect the price was less for Florida than it would be for another team cause they (Hawks-Panthers) scratch each other's back all the time. Just like Loiktionov was a worthwhile gamble cause we only gave up a five and he could have turned out to be a legit NHL player. I don't see the big deal with Baertschi and Connolly was an expensive roll of the dice.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly of all these deals being mentioned as 'misses' I'd really have only rolled the dice on Pirri cause it was a 3 and 5, though I suspect the price was less for Florida than it would be for another team cause they (Hawks-Panthers) scratch each other's back all the time. Just like Loiktionov was a worthwhile gamble cause we only gave up a five and he could have turned out to be a legit NHL player. I don't see the big deal with Baertschi and Connolly was an expensive roll of the dice.

Especially in a deep draft. We can do better either via drafting or draft day trades then that.

Edit: or how we are taking a shot with Blandasi which cost zero assets.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Kinda want to see Oates stick around, maybe move him into management. There were rumors a while back he could end up GM and Stevens as coach, I don't think its a terrible idea.

I've also heard that chatter in my circles.
But I doubt Oates would be given the GM keys with absolutely no experience at all in mgmt.

I'm also not too fond of the idea of Stevens as HC.
Does he even want that gig?

I'm hopeful to see Marty be given a mgmt job here this summer.
As for HC, I'd prefer someone with experience.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I'm done complaining and speculating. I just hope once again that Lou will do the necessary things to get better and will regain our confidence and trust in free agency and at the draft.

I watched the Ranger/Preds game tonight and it's pretty sad and frustrating to realize that the Rangers are miles ahead of us in almost every single category. Yandle looked like he's been there for months. They have ridiculous speed at forward and are young for the most part. Lundqvist is 33 but Cam Talbot could be a starter on most teams at this point. The game was actually entertaining... while I fight to stay awake watching the Devils fail to complete two consecutive passes on a breakout.

We always used to make fun of Sather for overpaying everyone under the sun but he's put together a hell of a team. He's had to mortgage some of the future but I think we'd all love to be in that position at the moment.

C'mon Lou... Fix this.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm done complaining and speculating. I just hope once again that Lou will do the necessary things to get better and will regain our confidence and trust in free agency and at the draft.

I watched the Ranger/Preds game tonight and it's pretty sad and frustrating to realize that the Rangers are miles ahead of us in almost every single category. Yandle looked like he's been there for months. They have ridiculous speed at forward and are young for the most part. Lundqvist is 33 but Cam Talbot could be a starter on most teams at this point. The game was actually entertaining... while I fight to stay awake watching the Devils fail to complete two consecutive passes on a breakout.

We always used to make fun of Sather for overpaying everyone under the sun but he's put together a hell of a team. He's had to mortgage some of the future but I think we'd all love to be in that position at the moment.

C'mon Lou... Fix this.

He mortgaged a lot of the future and they are in cup or bust mode and odds are they will bust and no one will be envying them in two years.

kiwidevil

The thing about the Rangers is that they are top 5 in GF, GA and top 10 in PP%, PK%.
They are a very consistent, all around team.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
oh dear God no

Not sure what makes the guy qualified to be a GM. He did work under McPhee when he made that blockbuster deal with Forsberg for Erat though. That was quite the move.

And I'm not blaming Lou for not trading Ryder or Havlat, because they likely weren't worth a damn thing. I'm just annoyed that I have to watch at least one of them for the next 6 weeks, along with Zubrus and Ruutu.

I'm still paranoid and think there's a 5 or as much as a 10% chance we re sign Havlat, which is 10% too much. He doesn't deserve an NHL contract after this. Has nothing left in the tank and an injury history longer than about 5 or 6 death certificates combined.

Ryder has a -0% chance of coming back. He's probably pissed that we scratched him so many times. Also shows that we don't want him back. Right now is both of their chances to show they're not completely washed up and have something in the tank for a team to sign them next year. Only I don't think either will show anything, they simply don't have anything left in the tank.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

C'mon Lou... Fix this.

C'mon didn't you hear "We're here to win right now and anybody who feels other than that, I can't help their thoughts."

And this gem. "He admitted “several other players†could have been moved today if he had chosen to completely give up on this season".

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
He mortgaged a lot of the future and they are in cup or bust mode and odds are they will bust and no one will be envying them in two years.

Nash- 30, Brassard- 26, Hayes- 22, Zuccarrello- 26, Stepan- 24, Kreider- 23, Hagelin- 25, Miller- 21, Fast- 22, Girardi- 30, McDonagh- 25, Staal- 27, Klein- 29, Yandle- 27, Talbot- 26.

In two years they are still going to be competing for silverware and still in much better position than us. They gave away some important draft picks and one really good prospect... but have more than enough to to replace those things while still competing.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
no one is envying our present or our future as of right now.

Not till we get some forwards in here who are worth a damn. There's gotta be only a few teams (2 or 3) that would even think about switching places with us right now. I have to think the view of us from around the league is pretty rough.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm hesitant to go with Stevens as head coach just because I don't think we'll be very good next year, and it could be asking a lot of a rookie head coach. I'd rather go with somebody with experience who can get the most out of what will probably be a pretty average roster.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm hesitant to go with Stevens as head coach just because I don't think we'll be very good next year, and it could be asking a lot of a rookie head coach. I'd rather go with somebody with experience who can get the most out of what will probably be a pretty average roster.

I don't really think Stevens is ready for a head coaching job yet. Would like him back as an assistant for a few more years though, then maybe give him the job if we need a new head coach in the next 3-5 years after that. I don't want another MacLean situation. He was bred as an assistant for about 7 or 8 years, before taking the job in Lowell for one year as a head coach, then getting hired as the NHL team's head coach. We all remember what happened there though.

MacLean was not a good assistant coach though. Power play sucked one or two for his entire time as the PP coach. Not to mention it was also good before he took over, and it was even better the year after he stopped running it than it had been any year he was behind it.

Can't say if Stevens is a good assistant coach or not yet. That's why I'd rather he stay just an assistant coach for now.

Oates head coaching gig failed miserably. That team made the second round of the playoffs before he got there and then sucked for two years with him there. Now they're back in the playoffs again. They only made the playoffs his first year, due to their division being so incredibly weak. If they had the new format with the new divisions that year and they were in the Metro, they probably wouldn't have even been in the playoffs in 2013.

Not that he should be judged on a bad season and a half as head coach, he just hasn't shown anything in this gig running the forwards to suggest that he should be given the keys.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
If anything the Oates bungling of the PP is proof that he shouldn't be head coach. That and his whole career in Washington.

I'd prefer Stevens to Oates (just because I don't have proof positive that Stevens would be a bad head coach, while I have that with Oates), but I'd rather a new head coach entirely was brought in, and Stevens just stayed as assistant to help manage the defense, since I think he's done pretty well with that task. I'd like to see which coaches get fired this off season and hope that Lou can snag a good one if a good one is willing to come to this quagmire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad