NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
A huge step forward today and we're on cruise control now. To me it's all about dotting the "I's" and crossing the "T's" at this point. December, here we come.

To add in:

All the more reason why this thing is now on cruise control.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Yes, but IMO they've reached the threshold to where Durkan can grant the waiver on that requirement on securing the team and thus allow them to start construction. I'd expect we'll see that occur then we'll be moving dirt down there shortly.

Until the VOTE by the NHL Commissioners occurs...there is no actual team...and I do not think that the waiver will be waived...

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Until the VOTE by the NHL Commissioners occurs...there is no actual team...

Yes, but they can waive that requirement, and this threshold I think was where they could do that. Point being is that if they can show everyone there's dirt being moved down there and actual work being done, that would reassure everyone the city was serious about getting this done.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Until the VOTE by the NHL Commissioners occurs...there is no actual team...and I do not think that the waiver will be waived...

Its going to get waived. Its basically a done deal that NHL will announce NHL seattle in december to begin playing either 2020-21 or 21-22 depending on a number of factors.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Honestly, this is as realistic as it comes when you talk about Bettman. This guy never, ever commits in his speeches.

He said December today, which is more than anyone ever gets from him.

I still think it makes no logical sense, especially if construction starts, but he said it.

Reactions: powerstuck

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Unanimous vote from the executive board so there's 10 votes just like that. Should be 31-0 on December 3rd or 4th.

Almost at the finish fine here

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
Where is the Vegas person who doesn't believe it will be voted on in December? Still sticking to it?

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Going to be amusing when more Canucks and Seattle fans travel for away games to each other's cities

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Where is the Vegas person who doesn't believe it will be voted on in December? Still sticking to it?
That would be me.

Today changes nothing in relation to my prediction, with one exception. Bettman gave the December date, which is something different.

We'll see what happens in the coming months.

Reactions: DougieMellon

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
2020 Seattle needs to happen.

... Detroit would not have to protect Zadina, Rasmussen, or Cholowski. :nod:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Prediction:
December the team is awarded, but there are restrictions on front office hires. Expansion draft rules are the same as Vegas. Intention is for 2020 start.
After the PA votes to cancel the CBA next fall, the 2020 season is in jeopardy, and no one knows what the rules will be. Thus, the start of the Seattle team is delayed until 2021. This only makes sense for everyone involved. However, more assurances are made that the team is coming.
In the interim, either a new arena in the Phoenix area is announced (unlikely) or the Coyotes move before the Seattle team starts play. Thusly, we cannot at this time guess the new alignment.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
^^^
Agreed...the 2020 start is the target but likely to be missed...

Moving Arizona to the Central Division makes sense on two fronts: 1) Staying put in Glendale (unlikely), and 2) If no new arena, then off to Houston...

Reactions: Mightygoose

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Has anyone suggested the Seattle Serpents yet? I’m a fan of aliteration and I don’t think it sounds too amateurish.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Prediction:
In the interim, either a new arena in the Phoenix area is announced (unlikely) or the Coyotes move before the Seattle team starts play. Thusly, we cannot at this time guess the new alignment.

^^^
Agreed...the 2020 start is the target but likely to be missed...

Moving Arizona to the Central Division makes sense on two fronts: 1) Staying put in Glendale (unlikely), and 2) If no new arena, then off to Houston...

Prediction: You're both incorrect. Seattle starts in 2020 in Pacific. Edmonton and Calgary to Central.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Prediction: You're both incorrect. Seattle starts in 2020 in Pacific. Edmonton and Calgary to Central.

Why move two to the central, when you only need to move one. Makes more sense to keep Edmonton/Calgary in the west as they form a nice quad of teams in the north/northwest. Seattle is the closest team outside of Vancouver for both Edmonton and Calgary

Reactions: Llama19

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Why move two to the central, when you only need to move one. Makes more sense to keep Edmonton/Calgary in the west as they form a nice quad of teams in the north/northwest. Seattle is the closest team outside of Vancouver for both Edmonton and Calgary

Think about time zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad