NHL To Resume Play In Edmonton and Toronto | Teams Arrive Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I wonder if Toews would have been singing a different tune if his team were top 10 as opposed to 23rd overall

Very fair question. Strength of your team likely had an influence on the vote. The teams out of the playoffs get a freebie, as the other players bust their ass while they sit at home and still benefit from the escrow repayment.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Apparently Toews was one of two PA executive board members to vote against it. The other was apparently Carolina's rep.

It'd be interesting to know if they had the support of their respective teams with their votes.

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010
70w1xx74c4u31.jpg

6 days to some game action!

Reactions: bellagiobob

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I wonder if Toews would have been singing a different tune if his team were top 10 as opposed to 23rd overall
Toews has been vocal in his opposition to escrow amongst other things in the CBA. The problem is that his past comments suggest that he does not even understand the system in place, or he is simply being completely disingenuous.

(Added in edit: Toews said he voted yes. )

Last edited:

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010

Something I'm liking a lot is how heads-up the guys seem to be playing. Very little skating with the puck while under pressure, just finding the open man and moving the puck. Granted, these are highlights of the successful plays and not the ones which flamed out but puck movement seems to be on point and awareness seems good.

Also not to be discounted is the choice to have a scrimmage at the same game time as games 2 & 3 of the Chicago series with piped-in crowd noise as will be the case in the playoffs. Smart adaptation moves by management here.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Toews has been vocal in his opposition to escrow amongst other things in the CBA. The problem is that his past comments suggest that he does not even understand the system in place, or he is simply being completely disingenuous.

Toews is one of the more militant players out there and doesn’t seem to have the foggiest idea how escrow works or why it’s there.

Pretty much any time a player speaks out about escrow or or cba stuff they come off stupid, greedy, or both. I'm kinda shocked they manage any leverage in negotiations due to how ridiculous players seem.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Pretty much any time a player speaks out about escrow or or cba stuff they come off stupid, greedy, or both. I'm kinda shocked they manage any leverage in negotiations due to how ridiculous players seem.

How do they come off as greedy?

If you signed a work deal worth 4 million and had to pay back 1.8 million, how would you feel?

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009

Something I'm liking a lot is how heads-up the guys seem to be playing. Very little skating with the puck while under pressure, just finding the open man and moving the puck. Granted, these are highlights of the successful plays and not the ones which flamed out but puck movement seems to be on point and awareness seems good.

Also not to be discounted is the choice to have a scrimmage at the same game time as games 2 & 3 of the Chicago series with piped-in crowd noise as will be the case in the playoffs. Smart adaptation moves by management here.

Piped in crowd noise? I'm pretty sure they just released a swarm of bees.

Smith did not look good. I'm thinking Koskinen will get the net to start.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

If you signed a work deal worth 4 million and had to pay back 1.8 million, how would you feel?

You have just made the exact point people are speaking of. The players don't actually sign a contract the promises to pay them $XXX. Because of the 50% revenue sharing rule which is the absolute cornerstone of the CBA their nominal salaries only tell what portion of the pie they will receive relative to their peers. As a senior member of the NHLPA you would think Toews would recognize this, but he has repeatedly acted as if he did not understand this.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

McDavid is such a handful for defensemen. Playing against him and Leon has to make them better.

Reactions: joestevens29

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

They dont really sign for X amount of dollars. They sign for a % of hockey related revenue.

You have just made the exact point people are speaking of. The players don't actually sign a contract the promises to pay them $XXX. Because of the 50% revenue sharing rule which is the absolute cornerstone of the CBA their nominal salaries only tell what portion of the pie they will receive relative to their peers. As a senior member of the NHLPA you would think Toews would recognize this, but he has repeatedly acted as if he did not understand this.

As the others replied.

It's extremely basic how revenue and their contracts work. Complaining about it appears childish at best.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The fact the NHL players don't understand escrow is quite sad.

If they can't figure that out how are they going to figure out how to invest their money?

Really think the PA should be running a yearly finance class for these goofs, but no instead we will here about another player that lost all of his money due to poor money decisions.

Reactions: Aerchon

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In Toews defense he now says he voted yes. So while I stand by my comments that in the past he has said some rather questionable things concerning escrow, in this case if what he says is true, then I commend him.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
In Toews defense he now says he voted yes. So while I stand by my comments that in the past he has said some rather questionable things concerning escrow, in this case if what he says is true, then I commend him.

So Friedman was wrong? Who voted no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad