League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
He arguably has, but there’s an upper limit lower than the cap max IMO.

A blank check isn’t required to be fair and equitable IMO.

what’s a ~47 goal, PPG guy make these days lol?
He’s absolutely earned it. The best players are underpaid under the cap system and CBA - and no one more than Ovechkin for the Caps.

But obviously his next contract will have consequences for the team - that’s the nature of the cap system and applies to all teams.

To me the issue is term. That’s what kills all teams. Not overpaying for a trade, giving up an asset, paying to much for a season. It’s having a few legacy contracts as thank you for what you did that turns into boat anchors.

Any idea what the discussion is wrt term w/ Ovi?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
While we're talking about sit down conversations, I'd like for Ovechkin to talk with some other true greats and pick their brains on their post-retirement opportunities. See what kind of money you can make "on tour" as it were or what else you can dabble in that might make it a little easier to come in low on the last deal and get some more winning done.

Re: Ovi

I doubt Ovi actually worries about money -- he's all but guaranteed some kind of extremely comfy job in Russia after retirement.

But I can buy him taking the whole escrow thing personally (I think to a lot of Russian players it's a very foreign concept) and just taking the position that if I didn't get paid what I was supposed to be paid and when I thought I was gonna get paid -- then I'm making back this money one way or another.

I can also buy him not wanting to be paid less than certain players because of pride. And who am I to judge.

I can also buy his strong-willed mother urging him to squeeze every last dollar out of the work he (and they as a family) has put in.

I can also buy Ovi looking at the Capitals overall track record, realizing that even if he takes a discount, it will be very hard to win another Cup, and deciding that it's just not worth for him giving up extra 5-10M.

He may have second thoughts when it comes to the real possibility of putting on a different jersey, but I don't really doubt his intent to test the market if the Caps don't meet his number.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Re: Ovi

I doubt Ovi actually worries about money -- he's all but guaranteed some kind of extremely comfy job in Russia after retirement.

But I can buy him taking the whole escrow thing personally (I think to a lot of Russian players it's a very foreign concept) and just taking the position that if I didn't get paid what I was supposed to be paid and when I thought I was gonna get paid -- then I'm making back this money one way or another.

I can also buy him not wanting to be paid less than certain players because of pride. And who am I to judge.

I can also buy his strong-willed mother urging him to squeeze every last dollar out of the work he (and they as a family) has put in.

I can also buy Ovi looking at the Capitals overall track record, realizing that even if he takes a discount, it will be very hard to win another Cup, and deciding that it's just not worth for him giving up extra 5-10M.

He may have second thoughts when it comes to the real possibility of putting on a different jersey, but I don't really doubt his intent to test the market if the Caps don't meet his number.

As txpd and a couple of others have pointed out, the Alex Ovechkin brand is worth WAY too much for Ted Leonsis to piss him off and see him go elsewhere. So he'll get whatever he asks for - I just hope that he and ownership come up with some kind of creative arrangement that sees him leave a few $$$ on the table (even if they end up in his pocket via some other means). It would be nice for the team to remain a contender for the next several years.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Hometown discounts are dumb and fans should stop expecting them. Players should maximize their value every step of the way. Would you take a 5% pay cut so your company can use that money to hire other people? Absolutely not, so the thought that athletes should do it just because they’re paid a lot is dumb. Now, if it’s a case of a few hundred thousand in the case of Ovi then maybe that’s acceptable but he’s earned every penny of the next contract he’s going to sign.

Also, players have a responsibility to the players who come after them. They have a responsibility to maximize their earning potential so precedent can’t be set that once a player earns X amount of dollars it should be expected that he “take one for the team” and plays for less.

Just like anyone else, players are worth what the market says they’re worth at that given time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hometown discounts are dumb and fans should stop expecting them. Players should maximize their value every step of the way. Would you take a 5% pay cut so your company can use that money to hire other people? Absolutely not, so the thought that athletes should do it just because they’re paid a lot is dumb. Now, if it’s a case of a few hundred thousand in the case of Ovi then maybe that’s acceptable but he’s earned every penny of the next contract he’s going to sign.

Also, players have a responsibility to the players who come after them. They have a responsibility to maximize their earning potential so precedent can’t be set that once a player earns X amount of dollars it should be expected that he “take one for the team” and plays for less.

Just like anyone else, players are worth what the market says they’re worth at that given time.

Lets be fair. Its common for people to turn down a job with more pay and or a greater role that would require moving. Right? The typical hometown discount is John Carlson taking $8m rather than $9m from an expiring $5m contract. You can take less without taking a paycut. I did this a couple of times. Offered a legit chance to step up, I passed because my wife liked her job and her friends and I like my teammates and ownership and I loved where we lived.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Most companies don't have Salary Caps that limit what they can offer
It's 100% OV's decision
The opportunity to get a 2nd Stanley Cup is a factor that can't be underestimated and there's creative alternatives to get paid that won't crush the salary cap
I Hope OV has dreams of Cup #2 and takes a smaller salary to help others get signed
I Won't blame him if he goes for the $$$
I'm sure he knows the deal, hope GMBM and Ted help him explore some creative options that don't put a stranglehold on the salary cap the next few years, we shall see

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He’s absolutely earned it. The best players are underpaid under the cap system and CBA - and no one more than Ovechkin for the Caps.

But obviously his next contract will have consequences for the team - that’s the nature of the cap system and applies to all teams.

To me the issue is term. That’s what kills all teams. Not overpaying for a trade, giving up an asset, paying to much for a season. It’s having a few legacy contracts as thank you for what you did that turns into boat anchors.

Any idea what the discussion is wrt term w/ Ovi?

From what he has said the term either runs concurrent to Backstrom or is a 5 year deal. One or the other.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's 100% OV's decision
The opportunity to get a 2nd Stanley Cup is a factor that can't be underestimated and there's creative alternatives to get paid that won't crush the salary cap
I Hope OV has dreams of Cup #2 and takes a smaller salary to help others get signed
I'm sure he knows the deal, hope GMBM and Ted help him explore some creative options that don't put a stranglehold on the salary cap the next few years, we shall see

The question is what is your definition of a smaller salary?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It's 100% OV's decision
It’s this, gang. Salaries in a capped world simply cannot be equated to a non-capped world. It’s just not even similar. At all.

Ovechkin gets to decide how his next 4-5 years go.

Chase records on a worse team with more money?

Or

Chase records and have better chances at Cups on a better team with less money?

it’s probably the cost of one good player (say, 3m or so).

it’s his choice. And his choice alone

Last edited:

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Most teams capable of competing for the Cup would have to move significant assets (or possibly not re-sign beloved albeit aging vets) in order to accommodate a ~$12m contract. So as Rids observes, the bulk of the competition for a top-of-market Ovie will be those teams that you're unlikely to find in a conversation about the Cup Finals.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It’s this, gang. Salaries in a capped world simply cannot be equated to a non-capped world. It’s just not even similar. At all.

Or

100%.

But I also note that his records chase also benefits from having more good players around him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Id say 10m versus 13m.

I am confident that the contract will be small enough for a well managed team to compete at the cup level that they have been and big enough for some fans both locally and nationally to laugh at the Caps and hate on Ov over it. It will fall nicely into a slot where one person will make case Ov was generous with his discount and the next will say he is selfish and he has killed the team

Reactions: Calicaps and kmart

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Or

We all know that every dollars that Ov leaves on the table helps the salary cap and helps the team remain competitive. Ov is at the most one of a small handful of players who generates so much revenue that the money on the capped table and on the ownership table is on a different scale. The dynamic of Ov doing his own contract is also a different scale. The agent fee he is not paying and thus can give back to the salary cap might be enough to pay Sheary's check next season.

Eirikrautha

Tom Brady and his 7 rings disagree with you. Sometimes you'd rather win (and recoup your money outside of the salary structure) than make bank. Stupid players hurt their overall value by crippling their team's ability to win.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Tom Brady is also married to someone who makes more money then him...

I'm asking because I truly don't really know anymore. Are supermodels really a big thing anymore?

I don't remember seeing them around really anymore, or at least compared to a decade or so ago where they were in everything. I don't remember the last time I saw Gisele in anything besides being shown at Tom Brady's games.

Edit: And I wouldn't be surprised if Ovechkin's wife is valued at a worth more than Ovie either :laugh: because of her own modeling gig + her family's wealth.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Hometown discounts aren't dumb, it happens all the time in the real world and often enough in the sports world. Ask yourself how much more vs your current salary someone would have to pay you to move to... Cleveland, or Kansas City, or Minneapolis, etc. In sports, its often NOT in the players control, they get cut and they have to move. It also happens that the hometown team offers more and the player leaves to go where he wants to go - hometown discount in reverse. So players make decisions about where they want to live (Tavares), not just how much. If they made decisions based purely on how much future players may make, that is truly dumb. Imagine this conversation:

Ovi: Washington is offering me $11.5M, but Buffalo is offering $12.5. I know we love it here in DC but what do you think Nastya?
Mrs Ovi: If you move to Buffalo, I'm taking the kids and moving back to Moscow.
Ovi: But Dear, think about my obligation to ... um,... some kid we don't know who is 14 years old right now, but wants to make as much as he can when he's 30.
Mrs Ovi: *starts the car*

Also, my job and your job is not like an NHL team. I would not take a pay cut to let them hire strangers, but I might consider forgoing a raise if it meant my good friend and long time partner at work has to go. Ovi will get whatever he asks for. The only question is, will that require the Caps to dump zero, one or two other players and replace them with lower paid guys? And for all this hand wringing, they just might do that anyway, not for Ovi, but for 'reasons'.

Now, I agree, fans should not expect hometown discounts. They are rare. But they are not dumb, they are important choices by players who get to choose where they want to work, often for the first time in their career.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Also, my job and your job is not like an NHL team. .

I did radio stations in my primary career where there was usually one place to work, maybe 2, in a given market. Much like the sports industry. If you changed jobs, you picked up and moved. You worked based on ratings and revenue. Black and white figures in a very competitive market place. The best part of my career was spent in Tampa Bay. I was good at something and was offered work in LA and then NYC. We decided to pass on both over quality of life.

How much did Billy Bean turn down from Boston to stay in Oakland and make how much? I remember hearing Orpik talk about his kids being in high school and not wanting to disrupt that time in their lives. On the other hand I think about Alex Chappelle who moved to DC to take a MASN job and suddenly get ditched because MASN decided to cut their spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad