League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Post-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Those contracts all expire this year and they get out of OEL’s bad contract which goes until 2026-27. Losing Garland stings a bit but this is a huge win for Arizona.
Forgot OEL had that huge 8 year deal. Didn’t dig deeper into the contracts either. IIRC Beagle possibly won’t suit up next year due to an injury. Kind of a W for Arizona I guess in the short term. Long term this could be a bad deal if OEL returns to the top of his game.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
This is exactly why I said GMBM should target Pettersson! Who knows what Jimbo might agree to!

Reactions: Hivemind

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Disaster from Vancouver’s POV. They could have waited 1 year and got huge cap relief but instead...did this.

Reactions: searle

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Like Ristolainen, I'm willing to wait and see how OEL does in a different environment.

But if he does suck, then Trader Jim's basically consolidated every bad contract on the roster into one unmovable monolith. I wish him luck.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Rumor is that Carolina is shopping Jake Bean (who was exposed in the expansion draft) for a 2nd. If the rumors that other teams are interested in Dillon are true, I’d absolutely love to see the Caps flip Dillon and then grab Bean. Might even be able to get him for cheaper than the 2nd, considering that Waddel seems to be drunk based on the Nedeljkovic trade.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think it’s conceivable that OEL could recover in the right environment, at least partially. He’s shown he can be borderline elite in the recent past. But I don’t think Vancouver is that environment.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ristolainen’s numbers have been in the toilet for his entire career and it’s reasonable to conclude that Buffalo is bad because Ristolainen has been their #1D and not vice versa.
He's just not a first pairing player. It's like... regardless of how you feel about Brenden Dillon, for example, asking him to play 1st pair minutes is just over his head. When you look at his tools, there's not a lot about him that actively screams that he's a bad hockey player. When you watch him play, he's usually good for a handful of plays per night that make you say "I don't think that player's necessarily bad at the game". He's just not what Buffalo was forced to use him as (from a very young age).

You want to look at how that franchise is run top to bottom and say it's more because of Ristolainen than the team around him? That's a bad take.

For the record I think Ristolainen is better than Dillon, but it's the best Capitals equivalent of a defenseman that would cap out and could be forced to play way over his head, whose results may indicate that he's barely an NHL player, but with a new role would be fine.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Like Ristolainen, I'm willing to wait and see how OEL does in a different environment.

But if he does suck, then Trader Jim's basically consolidated every bad contract on the roster into one unmovable monolith. I wish him luck.
I haven't been keeping up on the pulse of things but maybe it's a buyout move. Can't get a freebie on multiple contracts but you can take one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad