League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Well that's a shame. I really dislike the Rangers.
Yeah, me too but what can you do. This game reminds me of Game 7 against the Canes the year after winning the Cup. Holtby choked a 3-1 lead and we lost in 2 OT. Andersen was no different. Your goalie has to make saves at key times in a series and he didn't when it mattered most.

Good news!

Why is that good news? It doesn't help the Caps!

Reactions: PlushMinus

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Bummed for that 3rd period collapse. Wanted the Rags to lose and the Canes to win. I'm not convinced either of the Atlantic teams will match up dramatically better in the Rags, although it's possible that either Shesterkin cools off or that Swayman continues to go God Mode and steals the series.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Bummed for that 3rd period collapse. Wanted the Rags to lose and the Canes to win. I'm not convinced either of the Atlantic teams will match up dramatically better in the Rags, although it's possible that either Shesterkin cools off or that Swayman continues to go God Mode and steals the series.
Swayman and Bobrovsky can match Shesterkin, while Andersen is a step below all 3. I don't think the Bruins have the horses to match the Rags. I really want to see a never before team win the Cup. Only Panthers/Canucks are left at that chance.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Oilers/Canucks were tied 1-1, but an Oiler player in their own end is allowed to trip a Canuck player and then it becomes a 2 on 1 for the Oilers in which they score on Silovs.

It's one thing if a team makes good plays all around and scores a goal, but I hate it when a obvious call was missed/ignored allowing the team that should have been penalized to score a goal!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Well, that should end the Orly-Kuzy fawning until next year. Not just here...on the Caps reddit sub, it's insane.
Pretty sure that the Venn Diagram of folks who think...

1. Kuzy should be loved by Caps fans forever because of 2018 no matter what he did the rest of the time. AND​
2. GMBM should be fired because 2018 was 10,000 years ago.​

... is a circle.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Pretty sure that the Venn Diagram of folks who think...

1. Kuzy should be loved by Caps fans forever because of 2018 no matter what he did the rest of the time. AND​
2. GMBM should be fired because 2018 was 10,000 years ago.​

... is a circle.
1715935266654.gif

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Epic collapse by the Canes... you hate to see it. Or not.

I'm happy Kuznetsov showed the Canes that he can still play hockey and propably revived his NHL career (for now) in the process. Especially since the Capitals got rid of half of that anchor contract.

We'll see how they feel about the guy next season. Everyone knows he's motivated to play in the Playoffs but in the regular season... geeeesh.

Meanwhile Vancouver with a hilariously dominant performance. High-danger chances for 2nd period alone were 8-0 Canucks.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If I wanted to be petty I’d point out that it’s hilarious how bad Kotkaniemi has been for Carolina while Trochek, the guy they let walk for KK, just roasted them for 8 points in 6 games.

Oh, and Kotkaniemi will make $4.82M/year for the next six seasons with a modified NTC for the last five seasons. And they gave up a first round pick for him.

But I’m not petty so I won’t point all that out. Hate to see it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If I wanted to be petty I’d point out that it’s hilarious how bad Kotkaniemi has been for Carolina while Trochek, the guy they let walk for KK, just roasted them for 8 points in 6 games.

Oh, and Kotkaniemi will make $4.82M/year for the next six seasons with a modified NTC for the last five seasons. And they gave up a first round pick for him.

But I’m not petty so I won’t point all that out. Hate to see it.

Dude is still only 23….

That aside….suck it Canes.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Dude is still only 23….

That aside….suck it Canes.
He had 27 points in 78 games this year. 28 points in 88 games if you include the playoffs. Not great for someone who just finished their sixth full NHL season and was 3OA in 2018. Nic Dowd had a better points pace this season and I think we can all agree that this was not Dowds best season.

You’re not wrong though, he’s still young and has time to develop but I would not want to be on the hook for close to $5M/year until 2030 to find out.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
He had 27 points in 78 games this year. 28 points in 88 games if you include the playoffs. Not great for someone who just finished their sixth full NHL season and was 3OA in 2018. Nic Dowd had a better points pace this season and I think we can all agree that this was not Dowds best season.

You’re not wrong though, he’s still young and has time to develop but I would not want to be on the hook for close to $5M/year until 2030 to find out.
I'll be beyond shocked if they don't buy him out this offseason. Because he's so young it ends up being less than 900K per season, albeit for 12 years. They could really use that cap space.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think "Kotkaniemi believer" would really be the right term for me prior to this year, but I had a more favorable view towards him than others. But that was before this season, where I thought there was a chance he could take a step forwards. He didn't take that step forwards, and in some facets he regressed. At this point, there's not a whole lot of upside left in Kotkaniemi. Maybe he eventually develops a stronger match-up game and can become a two-way 3C instead of a replacement level 3C, but he's not the type of player that should have the significant investment that Carolina has put into him.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I used to box and I practiced martial arts in the military. I still box and do Muai Thai though not as often as I’d like. And I can skate and play hockey at a competitive beer league level. I’ll eat nachos for most of the season and skate around for about 4:00 minutes a game when I get a sweater, offer absolutely nothing offensively, get caved in defensively, and get punched in the face for 3x$1.15M, no problem. In fact, let’s just make it an even $1M for three years and I’ll be a discount on MacDermid.

It sure is nice to see the Devils GM focusing on the real issues with that roster. Any time you can lock up a replacement level forward to three years when your defense and goaltending are ass, ya gotta do it.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad