League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Bubble Hockey Edition - Vol. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I’m happy for Tampa fans but that was a really boring playoffs and I’m glad it’s over. The qualifying rounds were the most exciting. Weird to think the regular season start would be starting like this week

Reactions: sycamore

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The asterisk talk is bullshit, they won that Cup after a 16-team best-of-the-NHL (well, mostly) tournament. And both Tampa and Dallas beat good teams to get there. All without seeing friends or family for two months. It's a legit Cup.

I didn't love it though. I think the fans make a big difference on the televised product. It just wasn't the same on TV.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
It was boring because Dallas was there... same quality of team as Vegas in 2018, but Vegas was more unique.

Since the Blackhawks and Kings have stopped dominating the West has been pretty weak.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I don't like Tampa winning, but being from DC I love seeing any team out of Dallas lose.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Lundqvist is expected to be bought out today. End of an era. They gonna go with two russians in net. Smart move to let kids figure out who's the guy and who needs to go.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I guess I get the cap considerations for the Rangers but I still think it's kind lame that they bought out Lundqvist. Hank was their backbone for 15 years and didn't bail on them when they quickly fell from a Stanley Cup finalist to a lottery doormat and then just as they're getting good again they buy him out of his last year? Not great. At first glance it doesn't even seem like they need the cap space this year for a big contract, just to re-sign some RFAs and a few low-budget UFAs that won't command a lot. CapFriendly has them with ~$23mm in cap space with 8 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 2 goalies under contract next year. Their RFAs are Di Giuseppe, Strome, Lemiuex, Deangelo, and Georgiev and their UFAs are McKegg, Haley, and Fast. I don't think any of those players will break the bank and they don't seem like they're in a position just yet to go big game hunting but who knows.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
I guess I get the cap considerations for the Rangers but I still think it's kind lame that they bought out Lundqvist. Hank was their backbone for 15 years and didn't bail on them when they quickly fell from a Stanley Cup finalist to a lottery doormat and then just as they're getting good again they buy him out of his last year? Not great. At first glance it doesn't even seem like they need the cap space this year for a big contract, just to re-sign some RFAs and a few low-budget UFAs that won't command a lot. CapFriendly has them with ~$23mm in cap space with 8 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 2 goalies under contract next year. Their RFAs are Di Giuseppe, Strome, Lemiuex, Deangelo, and Georgiev and their UFAs are McKegg, Haley, and Fast. I don't think any of those players will break the bank and they don't seem like they're in a position just yet to go big game hunting but who knows.

They throw big money at Pietrangelo?

Jun 15, 2007
Edmonton not QOing AA after trading two 2nd round picks to get it. Dreadful from Holland.

Reactions: Hivemind

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
He was their 3rd goalie. It would not have been wise to let a solid young goaltender go just for Hank to play out the last year of his contract. Also, first and foremost, Hank didn't leave NYC initially because it's New York, not because he's so in love with Rangers although I'm not claiming he hates em. He has a certain lifestyle and life habits that he didn't want to get rid of and he chose to sign with them because of that. Now it's just 1 or 2 years of being a journeyman in hopes to win the chip. And back in big apple again.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He was their 3rd goalie. It would not have been wise to let a solid young goaltender go just for Hank to play out the last year of his contract. Also, first and foremost, Hank didn't leave NYC initially because it's New York, not because he's so in love with Rangers although I'm not claiming he hates em. He has a certain lifestyle and life habits that he didn't want to get rid of and he chose to sign with them because of that. Now it's just 1 or 2 years of being a journeyman in hopes to win the chip. And back in big apple again.

Sure he's the third goalie now but Georgiev needs to be moved as well prior to next year's expansion draft or they lose him in the ED (or they make a deal to protect him). I would have traded him now, kept Hank, and then figured out a veteran backup for Shesterkin after the ED next year.

Jun 15, 2007
Vegas signs Lehner to 5x5. Seems like a good enough deal but now it makes moving Fleury an imperative. Who's going to eat 2x7m for a 35 year old backup goalie? Thats another team that can't afford Holtby.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Vegas signs Lehner to 5x5. Seems like a good enough deal but now it makes moving Fleury an imperative. Who's going to eat 2x7m for a 35 year old backup goalie? Thats another team that can't afford Holtby.

They'll have to retain half his salary in order to move him, I guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stays. Their goaltending depth is poor. Dansk would be the backup and I'm not sure he's reliable enough.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Lightning fan visiting here. I thought the Caps long journey that included a lot of heartbreak before finally winning the cup was a great inspiration for the Bolts. The obvious lesson was a cup is never guaranteed and not to take things for granted, but also not to give up in the midst of heartbreak. The 2018 ECF was a series where you showed us you can't take anything for granted, as I thought you guys had more hunger that series (as well as Trotz outcoaching Cooper).

Anyways, cheers to both of us for having these great eras for our teams forever validated in the history books. Cool how we also have the 2 leading goal scorers of the last decade (and only 2 to score at least 60 in a season post 1996).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It feels like only yesterday when Maatta was Pittsburgh's prized rookie and the "Next Great DMan." How things turned south for him.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Good for them for getting out of that contract. Would be better if they hadn’t traded for another bottom pair LD making 5mil per year. Over 6mil against the salary cap for Matheson and Johnson is still terrible. Rutherford seems to just be throwing shit against the wall at this point.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It feels like only yesterday when Maatta was Pittsburgh's prized rookie and the "Next Great DMan." How things turned south for him.
I'm old enough to remember when people here wanted us to draft Maatta over Wilson in 2012.

I do think his career would have turned out far differently if he hadn't gotten hurt a bunch.

Reactions: Hivemind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad