Rumor: NHL Talk 21/22: It's real, and it's spectacular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Anyone know why Givani Smith still has no contact? Not really a huge fan of him, just find it weird he is the only rfa without a contract.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Geez...camps start next week and a bunch of RFA's not signed yet. Q. Hughes, B. Tkachuk, Kaprizov, R. Dahlin, and Pettersen.

Vancouver is pretty interesting. Those two stars aren't exactly commiting yet.

And Minnesota is in a no-win position. They are going up have to massively overpay to keep their Russian happy. Because of visa issues Kaprizov is missing the start of camp, but apparently they are talking again the last few days.

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Vancouver is pretty interesting. Those two stars aren't exactly commiting yet.

And Minnesota is in a no-win position. They are going up have to massively overpay to keep their Russian happy. Because of visa issues Kaprizov is missing the start of camp, but apparently they are talking again the last few days.
Yeah. Benning hasn't really been the pillar of confidence in leading the organization towards any particular direction, so it's not surprising that Hughes/Pettersen are pretty non-committal.

My understanding is that the money isn't so much the issue with Kaprizov, just that he wants his contract to take him to UFA and Minnesota isn't having any of that. But yeah, Minnesota is in deep for the next 4 years no matter what.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
My understanding is that the money isn't so much the issue with Kaprizov, just that he wants his contract to take him to UFA and Minnesota isn't having any of that. But yeah, Minnesota is in deep for the next 4 years no matter what.

That's very true. He wants to hit UFA ASAP. And it's awkward because of all that dead cap from Suter/Parise.

I figure the only way they can get him to be happy is to just overpay him to the point he'll suck it up and hit UFA a bit later. If they can't get him to commit, ugh, you've got to believe they'd already have to start thinking about a trade in that next couple years which is insane, they just got the guy in the NHL, but what else can you do? You could get an incredible haul for the guy in the next few years, so you have to entertain the option if he's not going to sign long-term.

I think Guerin is doing a pretty good job with the handicap he was given and I don't envy his position. Well, I mean I envy being a GM but you know, relatively, ha.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's very true. He wants to hit UFA ASAP. And it's awkward because of all that dead cap from Suter/Parise.

I figure the only way they can get him to be happy is to just overpay him to the point he'll suck it up and hit UFA a bit later. If they can't get him to commit, ugh, you've got to believe they'd already have to start thinking about a trade in that next couple years which is insane, they just got the guy in the NHL, but what else can you do? You could get an incredible haul for the guy in the next few years, so you have to entertain the option if he's not going to sign long-term.

I think Guerin is doing a pretty good job with the handicap he was given and I don't envy his position. Well, I mean I envy being a GM but you know, relatively, ha.

someone should let him know that the Rangers can pay $10m a year to only so many russian wingers.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
So the same offer that was given months ago. Amazing. And because he wanted to play up his KHL "leverage", he doesn't have his work visa.
Apparently Kaprizov is in Minnesota, now, so they must have been able to get his Visa done really fast.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I'm just being cute.

There was a cohort of us at the time frustrated the Wings weren't simply taking the best available guy right in front of them. Dead cap be damned. I was a vocal proponent of Chychrun so I'll take any chance given to celebrate one of my hits and downplay my misses (I really liked the Nielsen signing).
I didn't follow prospects at the time, but of those who did, the majority were down right giddy that he (Chychrun) was there for us - and quite flabbergasted that we traded the opportunity away. One of those times when internet scouts make the pros look stupid.
I might go dig that thread up.
Better not. I may have said something defending the decision. I do remember being excited that the player who seemed the consensus choice here on the HF was there for us. Good times :facepalm:

Edit - I could only find the second part of that draft thread. The trade was more well received than I remember. I'm sure that delving into the actual draft thread might produce the expected outrage.

After the trade:
Confirmed with Link: - Wings Trade Datsyuk and 16 to Arizona for Vitale, #20 and #53

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I didn't follow prospects at the time, but of those who did, the majority were down right giddy that he (Chychrun) was there for us - and quite flabbergasted that we traded the opportunity away. One of those times when internet scouts make the pros look stupid.
I might go dig that thread up.
Better not. I may have said something defending the decision. I do remember being excited that the player who seemed the consensus choice here on the HF was there for us. Good times :facepalm:

Edit - I could only find the second part of that draft thread. The trade was more well received than I remember. I'm sure that delving into the actual draft thread might produce the expected outrage.

After the trade:
Confirmed with Link: - Wings Trade Datsyuk and 16 to Arizona for Vitale, #20 and #53

Interesting looking back. I think it was a good value for the picks, but yeah.

My thoughts at the time:

Arizona got the guy they wanted. That was important to them. If the kid is a star, we're all going to be super sad.

It's now 5 years later and I'm super sad.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Drouin opens up about the anxiety and insomnia that caused him to take time away from the game.

Paywall article from The Athletic discussing the importance of his decision. Couldn't agree more. The old time hockey culture of playing through anything isn't the only way people show their guts and determination.

Jonathan Drouin has introduced a new and important brand of courage to hockey culture that needs to be embraced

Though Drouin did not get into the details of what happened to him, he didn’t need to. What was important was that people saw him speak about the anxiety and insomnia that had been affecting him for years, that he had learned to live with, cope with, without saying or doing anything about it.

I can only imagine what it must have been like for Drouin on Monday evening as those interviews were being broadcast because I, like many people, have a blind spot when it comes to understanding mental health issues. I don’t know much about them, I am ignorant, and people’s ignorance is what has led to the stigma that has been attached to people suffering from those issues for far too long.

What Drouin did by speaking publicly about his experience might help lift that stigma, and for that, he should be applauded. Because there are surely people who watched him speak Monday evening who could identify with what he was saying. The sleepless nights, sometimes two or three nights in a row, and how the anxiety filled his head with thoughts that were doing him no good, these are things that countless people experience and live with every day. And they often do it in silence, much like Drouin had done for years.

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Drouin opens up about the anxiety and insomnia that caused him to take time away from the game.

Paywall article from The Athletic discussing the importance of his decision. Couldn't agree more. The old time hockey culture of playing through anything isn't the only way people show their guts and determination.

Jonathan Drouin has introduced a new and important brand of courage to hockey culture that needs to be embraced

Yeah...I think the whole Naomi Osaka (tennis) situation with her coming out and talking about the level of mental strain that is placed on athletes...especially by the press/social media...probably turned a lightbulb on for Drouin. And I agree that pro athletes are only now starting to realize the toll that is exacted on them as a result of poor mental health. Living with a level of 24/7 anxiety with no apparent way to get away from it, must be a living hell for a number of them.

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah...I think the whole Naomi Osaka (tennis) situation with her coming out and talking about the level of mental strain that is placed on athletes...especially by the press/social media...probably turned a lightbulb on for Drouin. And I agree that pro athletes are only now starting to realize the toll that is exacted on them as a result of poor mental health. Living with a level of 24/7 anxiety with no apparent way to get away from it, must be a living hell for a number of them.

Absolutely.

I know some will be dismissive of the stress folks face who make millions of dollars, and when you're working like a dog to feed your family, I get it's difficult to understand. It's hard to be sympathetic when you're struggling yourself and can't take time away like these athletes. Alternatively, some people just think the current generation is soft. Whatever.

Nonetheless it doesn't change the fact it's really refreshing to see public figures in sports begin to address and confront the reality that a mental health issue is as serious as any physical injury. Robin Lehner, Bobby Ryan, and now Drouin. Good on them.

Reactions: odin1981
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad