NHL possibly getting bumped for a WNBA game

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Although the NHL did slightly better on the all important 18-49 demographic group. Then again the NHL game was on ESPN and WNBA on ESPN2 and the deuce seldom beats ESPN in the ratings
I did watch Clark and it was the first time I have ever watched a women’s basketball game. I seldom watch the NBA and have watched NCAA men’s hoops since the 1990s. Clark was pretty mediocre. Lots of turnovers, wild shooting..I thought she was a three point whiz. She got some garbage points late in the game. But it is her first game, she is playing against more experienced players, she is on a lousy team and she just got done with a grueling NCAA season of her own. .

Maybe it’s time the NHL has both teams use a female goaltender, another Manon Rheaume, in a playoff game. Actually I sometimes wonder why teams don’t try that in a pre season game where there are plenty of good seats available. Play a female goalie for half a game. You might sell some tickets and get some attention.
they actually need to market the stars they have now

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
What’s even worse is that wnba game beat out a playoff featuring probably one of the most popular O6 team. Absolute embarrassment for the league and. The sport of hockey

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What’s even worse is that wnba game beat out a playoff featuring probably one of the most popular O6 team. Absolute embarrassment for the league and. The sport of hockey
Knicks/pacers game did 4.88 rating.
So Indiana fans were choosing between NBA/WNBA as well.

Doubt it does anything to the NHL brass' way of thinking/marketing, but they should take note that there is increasing competition if the WNBA gains more traction with Clark and others.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Maybe it’s time the NHL has both teams use a female goaltender, another Manon Rheaume, in a playoff game. Actually I sometimes wonder why teams don’t try that in a pre season game where there are plenty of good seats available. Play a female goalie for half a game. You might sell some tickets and get some attention.
Yeah, she was a big deal in the 90s, even if it was only a preseason game. I remember it because that was when I still cared about this league. Now I just harbor resentment and want to see it fail.

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Although the NHL did slightly better on the all important 18-49 demographic group. Then again the NHL game was on ESPN and WNBA on ESPN2 and the deuce seldom beats ESPN in the ratings
I did watch Clark and it was the first time I have ever watched a women’s basketball game. I seldom watch the NBA and have watched NCAA men’s hoops since the 1990s. Clark was pretty mediocre. Lots of turnovers, wild shooting..I thought she was a three point whiz. She got some garbage points late in the game. But it is her first game, she is playing against more experienced players, she is on a lousy team and she just got done with a grueling NCAA season of her own. .

I really don't want to be giving time to someone that has zero chance of being a part of my teams organization. I'm one that actually sees value in making sure prospects get a chance to see what they need to do at the next level as well as making sure our top 3 goalies are ready to go come the season openers in the NHL/AHL.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Bettman has done an atrocious job marketing the NHL, it’s players, and hockey in general in the US and Europe. It’s no wonder there’s more interest in the WNBA at times amongst sports fan.

Absolute dogshit commissioner.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Bettman has done an atrocious job marketing the NHL, it’s players, and hockey in general in the US and Europe. It’s no wonder there’s more interest in the WNBA at times amongst sports fan.

Absolute dogshit commissioner.
The NHL can only do so much to market their players, the rest is on the players to promote themselves. Majority of players would rather hide from the media or act like they have no personality in front of a camera. Looking at other sports, the top players do a lot on their own to promote themselves outside of what the league does.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
The NHL can only do so much to market their players, the rest is on the players to promote themselves. Majority of players would rather hide from the media or act like they have no personality in front of a camera. Looking at other sports, the top players do a lot on their own to promote themselves outside of what the league does.
NHL went 10 years without Olympics and 8 years without any type of best on best at the international level. These events are the best place to showcase the game to casual and new/prospective fans. When you go that long without it, you are basically saying “no thanks lols” to adding more fans. It’s an absolute joke.

Meanwhile they have their shitty ass allstar game each year, which no one really gives a shit about. International championships grow the game SIGNIFICANTLY more.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Why does anyone care about the popularity of hockey?
I don't really get it.
  • My favorite video game series right now is Dark Souls.
    • I don't give a shit if you like it or not.
  • Love Korean food. It's spicy, fishy, and fermented.
    • If you don't like it, f*** you i dont care.
  • Right now I'm listening to a lot of Rammstein.
    • Once again, don't care if you're into it. I don't really care about Taylor Swift, or whoever is the most popular these days.
  • And my favorite sport to watch is hockey.
    • Could not give 2 shits if you don't.
    • Don't care if WNBA is more popular.
    • I don't watch almost any other team sport. Don't watch FIFA, or Cricket, or Baseball, or whatever else is more popular than hockey.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Remember when Ms. MARVEL was the "Fillm of the Century" and 'breaking' box office records world wide? It's Disney, folks. The Mouse will tell you what is popular and where the future is headed - doesn't matter if it's profitable or not. You will watch and you will enjoy it.

KCbus

Someday, we’ll have an NHL team.
Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
More than two million people watched that playoff game. It doesn't hurt my feelings that people also chose to watch something else.

Reactions: AzHawk

GeorgesLaRAWK

Mar 12, 2009
More Americans would recognize Caitlin Clark than any NHL player, and it wouldn't even be close.

EDIT: And she just hit a 3 from the parking lot after I typed this. GOAT in the making.

Reactions: joelef and Jussi

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Final minute of this game is taking forever (And OT may be on horizon)

I hate when refs take over game

And that should not have been called a foul

And refs despite review f*** it up

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Remember when Ms. MARVEL was the "Fillm of the Century" and 'breaking' box office records world wide? It's Disney, folks. The Mouse will tell you what is popular and where the future is headed - doesn't matter if it's profitable or not. You will watch and you will enjoy it.
Ms Marvel was a Disney+ show.

Reactions: JMCx4
Sep 18, 2009
Imagine getting knocked out by the WNBA lol
That's embarrassing
It may be depressing to all of us, but Caitlin Clark is a much bigger sports star than Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, or any other hockey player.

Many more Americans know who Caitlin Clark is.
She is alright at basketball
The Blackhawks were on NBC Sports Chicago 3 the other day because the Bulls and White Sox were also playing. I'm still devastated.
NHL is the better sport

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Over 18 million people watched Clark's last game at Iowa.

She's been a regular topic on all the major shows on ESPN and Fox Sports for 2+ years.

She's the subject of an ABC miniseries produced by Peyton Manning, which Peyton himself spent this offseason promoting across NFL media.

Not even debatable.
So, 5% of the U.S. population watched one game? Gretzky’s face has been on TV commercials and movies in the U.S. for ~20 years. That is far more exposure to the average American.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad