NHL possibly getting bumped for a WNBA game

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t know, I started watching hockey because this one player, Mario Lemieux, had a big fanbase. Nobody else in my family watched hockey.
Okay, but are you saying that the sport as a whole is getting more popular?

This one player plays in a fraction of the women’s basketball games, college or pro.

I suspect the popularity will be the same for games she doesn’t play in and it will be a lot more for the fraction of games she plays in.

Reactions: bl02

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Okay, but are you saying that the sport as a whole is getting more popular?

This one player plays in a fraction of the women’s basketball games, college or pro.

I suspect the popularity will be the same for games she doesn’t play in and it will be a lot more for the fraction of games she plays in.
Like yea that's usually how growth works.

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
I don’t have problem with the popularity just find it that so called “ 4th makor

i know. I’m saying that a problem

thats not much higher then the nhl was averaging last year
The NHL ratings are very inaccurate as most fans use streams to watch the games now. A good example is not one of my friends or family watches it on TV but watches it in other ways that is not tracked.

Lots of people have quit watching it too though. Thats true.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
It may be depressing to all of us, but Caitlin Clark is a much bigger sports star than Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, or any other hockey player.

Many more Americans know who Caitlin Clark is.
It'd help if you know...NHL actually markets their stars, instead of pretending that people care only about the team.

Reactions: joelef

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
The NHL ratings are very inaccurate as most fans use streams to watch the games now. A good example is not one of my friends or family watches it on TV but watches it in other ways that is not tracked.

Lots of people have quit watching it too though. Thats true.
This is the truth, they don't help themselves either by making it so difficult to watch your favorite team.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It may be depressing to all of us, but Caitlin Clark is a much bigger sports star than Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, or any other hockey player.

Many more Americans know who Caitlin Clark is.
Today is the first I've heard of her but I'll google I'm glad a woman's sport is taking off tho !

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
As someone who knows who Caitlin Clark is, but doesn’t watch any women’s basketball, what is the big appeal with her?

Is she like a McDavid generational talent? Fair or not, looks matter for marketing female athletes and although I’m not insulting her looks, there are definitely prettier. Is she a big personality?

I’m interested to hear why she’s the women’s basketball player that people care about and not others before her.

Reactions: ricky0034

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Wait, she's playing like days after being drafted?

Like a week after the NCAA season ended?

What a weird scheudle. You don't see that in men's sports.

yeah that's my takeaway from this thread, I also had no idea the schedule worked like that

I guess it's probably a combination of the WNBA season being timed to not be at the same time as the NBA season and the NCAA season taking place at the same time for both men and women

Reactions: DaveG

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
As someone who knows who Caitlin Clark is, but doesn’t watch any women’s basketball, what is the big appeal with her?

Is she like a McDavid generational talent? Fair or not, looks matter for marketing female athletes and although I’m not insulting her looks, there are definitely prettier. Is she a big personality?

I’m interested to hear why she’s the women’s basketball player that people care about and not others before her.
She's the all-time leading women's scorer in NCAA history and she only played three years. Or did she have an extra year of eligibility because of COVID?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

From googling it's generational talent and why would it be for looks lmao there are jobs for that

Anyways I hope she ends up being the Gretzky of her sport it's always cool to see weird mutant people dominate sports

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
1. Who cares if the NHL is getting bumped for the WNBA? Good for the WNBA, they deserve some good press after spending years upon years of being the butt of so many jokes.

2. Who cares about ESPN’s coverage of the NHL? They’re so much worse than the TNT broadcast. It’s baffling to spend so much time and effort to acquire the sport and just get demolished by the “secondary” channel.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
From googling it's generational talent and why would it be for looks lmao there are jobs for that

Anyways I hope she ends up being the Gretzky of her sport it's always cool to see weird mutant people dominate sports
Have you ever heard of Olivia Dunne?

Maria Sharapova was a terrific tennis player, but her looks boosted her popularity.

Do you remember Anna Kournikova? It’s part of the equation with female athletes whether anyone likes it or not. Thats all I’m saying.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
I don’t know anyone that cares about women’s basketball. I think hockey will survive.
Well considering
Kinda funny when some people try to compare the NHL to the NBA. NHL can't even keep up with WNBA lmfao
E

Maria Sharapova was a terrific tennis player, but her looks boosted her popularity.

Do you remember Anna Kournikova? It’s part of the equation with female athletes whether anyone likes it or not. Thats all I’m saying.
many women watch superhero movies for male eye candy. There’s nothing wrong with looks.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

Maybe if you're talking about getting their 15 minutes...

Do any of those women have even a fraction of the fame of the Williams sisters?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

She's white, midwestern, straight and decent enough looking in addition to being a generational talent.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021

You brought looks into the equation when we are literally talking about the GOAT.

You are the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad