NHL Pensions

HockeyZonePlus

Jun 25, 2006
www.HockeyZonePlus.com
This does not answer your question but is still somewhat related. In Mike Schmidt's book, the former 3rd baseman star of the Philadelphie Phillies says that under Major League Baseball's pension plan, he will receive $180,000 per year once he reaches 60 (he's in his early 50s).

LiveTheSearch

Jun 19, 2002
HB - WG
Visit site
I remember reading a while back that after about 450 NHL games, you qualify for an NHL pensions. I was wondering how much that was. Anyone know?

I think the magic number is 400. If you hit 400, you become eligable for a huge lump sum payout (on top of your regular NHL pension). Years ago the lump sum was $250,000.00 - that number might have gone up by now.

A few years ago, talking to a former NHL player (I won't use his name), who had a great start to his career, and then sort of ended up back and forth playing in the NHL and the farm - anyway I asked him what his most memorable game was in his NHL career, and he flat out said, "playing my 400th game!"

I guess it would be no big deal for the big $$ players, but for the plumbers and the fringe players it would be a big deal.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad