Olympics: NHL participation 2026

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
20 different countries and all of them in europe aside from one time. and as for the other 50 or so that have taken place? yep, that's right.............all in europe.

That's not balance at all, especially since 2 of the best 6 hockey countries in the world are N.A teams.

Hey, as I've said, I'm o.k with that, it is what it is, I just don't see the reason for howling about the World cup being held in N.A every time if these same fans don't have an issue with the WHC being held in Europe all the time.

It's not much to ask for fans to be even in their attitudes across the board, yet it always seems to be.

If USA Hockey or Hockey Canada want to host the top-level competition, they may do so like any other participating member. Non-European IIHF members host lower-level tournaments frequently, this year we had South Africa and Kyrgyzstan acting as hosts.

The WCoH is about having enough money on the table, nothing else. Previously the money wasn't good.

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
I thought there was some kind of agreement that NA gets the WJCs more often and Europe the World Champs?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
20 different countries and all of them in europe aside from one time. and as for the other 50 or so that have taken place? yep, that's right.............all in europe.

That's not balance at all, especially since 2 of the best 6 hockey countries in the world are N.A teams.

Hey, as I've said, I'm o.k with that, it is what it is, I just don't see the reason for howling about the World cup being held in N.A every time if these same fans don't have an issue with the WHC being held in Europe all the time.

It's not much to ask for fans to be even in their attitudes across the board, yet it always seems to be.
I agree with most your points ... a few things:

Having a best on best in a country that doesn't watch hockey sucks. So I don't want best on best in Jamaica, China or Ghana. It should always be in countries that love the sport (all 10 of them). I'd also accept a non hockey market in US where people can fly in like Vegas, Florida and Arizona.

The Canada and World Cup always had the finals in Canada.

There have only been a handful of best on bests not in Canada - Nagano, Italy and Salt Lake (Austria if you want to include 2005 World's which I do since I keep hearing about the Junior team in the same lockout).

To my knowledge.. no best on best gold has ever been awarded in a European hockey nation (Finland, Sweden, Czech, Russia, Slovakia, German, Latvia???)... closest that happened was Italy.

For World Cup's - having one pool in Europe in summer and making people fly over is brutal. Have it all in Europe or all in North America.

The World Jr's are now very much a Canadian thing. What are we at now, 1 in 4 not in Canada or border town?

Hlinka is no longer a Euro tourney too as it's split now too.

I'd argue Europe is getting the short straw to be honest when it comes to U20 and best on best.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If USA Hockey or Hockey Canada want to host the top-level competition, they may do so like any other participating member. Non-European IIHF members host lower-level tournaments frequently, this year we had South Africa and Kyrgyzstan acting as hosts.

The WCoH is about having enough money on the table, nothing else. Previously the money wasn't good.
We do want to host high level competition, that's why we host the World Cup and why we host the WJC, those tournaments mean something to us more then the WHC. if europe wants to host them(or in the WJC case host them more often) make them an offer they can't refuse, the NHL and IIHF love money in their coffers.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I agree with most your points ... a few things:

Having a best on best in a country that doesn't watch hockey sucks. So I don't want best on best in Jamaica, China or Ghana. It should always be in countries that love the sport (all 10 of them). I'd also accept a non hockey market in US where people can fly in like Vegas, Florida and Arizona.

The Canada and World Cup always had the finals in Canada.

There have only been a handful of best on bests not in Canada - Nagano, Italy and Salt Lake (Austria if you want to include 2005 World's which I do since I keep hearing about the Junior team in the same lockout).

To my knowledge.. no best on best gold has ever been awarded in a European hockey nation (Finland, Sweden, Czech, Russia, Slovakia, German, Latvia???)... closest that happened was Italy.

For World Cup's - having one pool in Europe in summer and making people fly over is brutal. Have it all in Europe or all in North America.

The World Jr's are now very much a Canadian thing. What are we at now, 1 in 4 not in Canada or border town?

Hlinka is no longer a Euro tourney too as it's split now too.

I'd argue Europe is getting the short straw to be honest when it comes to U20 and best on best.
Theres changes all across the board guys like you and me would like when it comes to international hockey. I mean, the WJC shouldn't be held in Canada so much and the WHC shouldn't be in europe all the time but as has been said............circumstances, and of course the circumstances basically come down to cold hard cash, and both the NHL and the IIHF care most about the bottom line.

Europe is indeed getting the short straw when it comes to the WJC but........................circumstances. N.A, or at the very least Canada is getting the short straw when it comes to the WHC but...........circumstances.

I'd love for guys like you and me to be setting the agenda and locations for the International game, international hockey would look a lot different, and better.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

AKQJ

May 6, 2022
Turku
Sarcasm obviously, but I'm definitely a fan of having events like the winter olympics, world championships, and WJCs in a pretty small rotation of locations.
Why? Small rotation of location is NHL. Or any other league. There is no sense in building a competitive league/tournament on the basis of international hockey. Olympics and hosting them all around the Globe is value in itself. No need to go change that on "the interests of hockey". Or skiing, skating, figure skating or whatever.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Why? Small rotation of location is NHL. Or any other league. There is no sense in building a competitive league/tournament on the basis of international hockey. Olympics and hosting them all around the Globe is value in itself. No need to go change that on "the interests of hockey". Or skiing, skating, figure skating or whatever.
Why? Because with few exceptions the notion of growing hockey internationally is a fool's errand. It just isn't going to happen. So, I say hold international events in areas that will be well supported, such as Canada, Finland, certain parts of the U S., etc. The Olympics are obviously a bit different.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I thought there was some kind of agreement that NA gets the WJCs more often and Europe the World Champs?

There is no formal agreement, it's just a fairly obvious decision to go where the money is. There would be money to be made in hosting the IIHF world championship in Canada as well, but despite how people like to pretend this isn't true it's difficult to do that when the status of the biggest arenas is uncertain in any given May.

Reactions: DeeQ and jj cale

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I would personally prefer real World Cup (no exhibition tournament with gimmick teams) over the NHL Olympic participation. However, from what I have heard, players themselves would mostly prefer Olympic participation and doesn't seem to to be exactly excited about the World Cup idea. So I don't know, honestly.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
They'll be at the Olympics. It's part of the CBA, so they have to be - barring any catastrophic circumstances like COVID-19 occurring again.

Other than that, it's pretty open and shut.

Bigger question is whether the NHL is interested in reviving the WCOH in 2024. There hasn't been any best-on-best international play since 2016.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I hope they don't go and just work on getting a proper world cup off the ground, I'm done with the olympics myself, the thrill is gone so to speak. Having the pinnacle of International hockey games being played in China one year and then God knows where else the next just doesn't make sense any longer to me.

Time to move on and I'm glad it looks like they are, depending on what they do next getting out of the olympics is the best move IMO.

A more visionary and fresh new tradition needs to be started for best on best senior hockey.

I agree with the World Cup of Hockey type thing. Play the tournament mostly in Cananda as the turnout will be higher but throw us a bone and give us a few of the games in the states.

If they aren't going to make this happen, then they better let the players go to the Olympics.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
2026 is so laughably far away at this point this falls squarely in the "we shouldn't give a shit" bin. 2022 was "absolutely supposed to happen" since it was in China and well, it didn't so, I don't expect 2026 to either. Some asinine reason will be given as to why they had all intentions to go but it was impossible to participate, and they will "expect to be there in 2030" like they said.

I think barring a miracle best on best Int'l hockey is dead for the forseeable future, which is why I tune in to the occasional WJC and WHC games as that's all we'll be able to see.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

To my knowledge.. no best on best gold has ever been awarded in a European hockey nation (Finland, Sweden, Czech, Russia,Slovakia, German, Latvia???)... closest that happened was Italy.

Am I crazy or are you omitting Sochi in 2014?

I consider it important because conventional wisdom at the time was that Canada could only win best-on-best tournaments on North American soil and that Gold Medal proved otherwise, allowing only 3 goals in 6 games.

The fact that the “World” Cup and Canada Cup tournaments were held almost exclusively in North America is not particularly surprising given the obvious counterpoint of the European “World” Championships.

In any event, any serious best-on-best World Cup of Hockey requires 3 things - no gimmick teams, to be held in Europe in its entirety at some point and for a non-NA team to win it.

Until that happens, it’s just another tournament much like the WHCs, the Spengler etc.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Also, neutral referees. For example in Sochi every Team Canada game included one or more Canadian refs (the final had three) but exactly zero from any of their European opponents which is frankly a disgrace and tilts the ice.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
2026 is so laughably far away at this point this falls squarely in the "we shouldn't give a shit" bin. 2022 was "absolutely supposed to happen" since it was in China and well, it didn't so, I don't expect 2026 to either. Some asinine reason will be given as to why they had all intentions to go but it was impossible to participate, and they will "expect to be there in 2030" like they said.

I think barring a miracle best on best Int'l hockey is dead for the forseeable future, which is why I tune in to the occasional WJC and WHC games as that's all we'll be able to see.
Spot on! Well said.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Am I crazy or are you omitting Sochi in 2014?

I consider it important because conventional wisdom at the time was that Canada could only win best-on-best tournaments on North American soil and that Gold Medal proved otherwise, allowing only 3 goals in 6 games.

The fact that the “World” Cup and Canada Cup tournaments were held almost exclusively in North America is not particularly surprising given the obvious counterpoint of the European “World” Championships.

In any event, any serious best-on-best World Cup of Hockey requires 3 things - no gimmick teams, to be held in Europe in its entirety at some point and for a non-NA team to win it.

Until that happens, it’s just another tournament much like the WHCs, the Spengler etc.
So a Euro team needs to host and win a best on best for it to be legitimate? Lol okay

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Also, neutral referees. For example in Sochi every Team Canada game included one or more Canadian refs (the final had three) but exactly zero from any of their European opponents which is frankly a disgrace and tilts the ice.

I’m not as hung up on the nationality of the referees but competent officials would be nice.

I’m not sure the IIHF can provide.

We saw how disgraceful they can get during the Finals of this year’s WC.

So a Euro team needs to host and win a best on best for it to be legitimate? Lol okay

Well, for the World Cup to be considered legitimate in Europe.

The best thing for the event itself would have been if Finland had won in 2004.

Otherwise it just continues to be perceived as a North American NHL tournament.

Just as it’s hard for the WCs to get any real traction here with the NHL playoffs ongoing and it being exclusively hosted in Europe.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Is there really any such thing to fans these days?

I'm rarely one to rant about officials but with the way things are going these days and considering the attitudes of people who are fans of the game across countries that they grow up with concerning other countries ...... say it's a semi game involving the Czech republic and Canada and it's a Finnish referee.

I'm not sure how neutral they are towards Canada. I'm serious here.

It's not a game involving Finland but it's a game involving Canada, and say in the other semi Finland has already gone through.....................well, I dunno.

I'd have questions about that refs work and his ability to be impartial going into the game for sure, I like to think they would be 100% professional but knowing what i know about Finnish fans attitude towards Canadian hockey and how much the Finnish people want and need a best on best gold on their resume and their hyper nationalism and pride that comes from winning tournaments in hockey these days I'd question if that ref in our game is actually "neutral" And who do you think they would think their odds are better against in a gold medal game between the Czechs and Canada?

We all know the answer to that.

And of course we could turn that the other way around here and insert Canadian ref in a semi game not involving Canada but Finland playing and fans will be wondering the same thing because I've already witnessed plenty of moaning about that here in WHC games over the years......................the proverbial "goddamned Canadian/U.S ref screwing us of course" For some reason many fans from there think the U.S and Canada are thick as thieves best buddies doing each other favours, lol

I guess they may make sure that these scenarios don't happen because they put refs from countries that are out of the tournament to work these games but not sure if they do/would/will?

Anyway, Having refs in a game that are not from one of the countries involved doesn't exactly guarantee neutrality and even if they are it doesn't mean the fans will think so after they have lost the game.

We know how that goes with fans all worked up about tournaments where their whole self identity seems to hinge on whether the national team wins or not.

This isn't out first time at a dance.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And of course we could turn that the other way around here and insert Canadian ref in a semi game not involving Canada but Finland playing because I've already witnessed plenty of moaning about that here in WHC games over the years......................the proverbial "goddamned Canadian/U.S ref screwing us of course" For some reason many fans from there think the U.S and Canada are thick as thieves best buddies doing each other favours, lol

I always enjoy the fact that a Swedish referee involved in a game between Canada and Finland will be biased towards Canada because Finland and Sweden are big rivals, but an American referee involved in the same game will also be biased towards Canada because apparently we're good friends with the States.

I'm not even going into the World War 2 explanations that inevitably crop up if a thread goes long enough.

I honestly have no recollection of what country's referees were involved in some of the classic mismanaged games. In my mind, nationality has so little to do with competence.

For the sake of optics, and to keep the whining to a minimum, I agree with the premise that they should be from another country, but it doesn't necessarily result in a better standard of officiating at all.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I always enjoy the fact that a Swedish referee involved in a game between Canada and Finland will be biased towards Canada because Finland and Sweden are big rivals, but an American referee involved in the same game will also be biased towards Canada because apparently we're good friends with the States.

I'm not even going into the World War 2 explanations that inevitably crop up if a thread goes long enough.

I honestly have no recollection of what country's referees were involved in some of the classic mismanaged games. In my mind, nationality has so little to do with competence.

For the sake of optics, and to keep the whining to a minimum, I agree with the premise that they should be from another country, but it doesn't necessarily result in a better standard of officiating at all.
Lol, yeah I always get a kick out of that also, it's a gas to watch that scenario play out amongst the fans.

I recall one in particular ages ago with this American ref who I believe his name was Rich looker. Can't remember the specific game but he made some call that ended up really hurting one of the European teams in a big game against Canada and you should have heard the conspiracy howling.

Anyway, I'm not one to bug on and worry where the refs are from or even the calls they make too much, bad calls or missed calls happen all the time............it's a fast paced game, shit happens. To tell the truth, all things being equal if for example Canada and Finland were to meet in a gold medal game at the olympics I'd probably prefer a ref from Finland reffing the game then a Canadian one, I like the odds of him benefiting us slightly being as he probably would want to show that he isn't favouring his home country whereas a Canadian ref it would be the other way around. And not only that, assuming Canada wins the game it would be pretty hard for their fans to do as so many fans can't seem to help doing when they lose.......................................whine about the fix being in.

In short, you get the refs you get and hope for the best. Short of all refs being from non hockey market countries there is really no surefire way to ever ensure 100% complete neutrality.

Most times the ref moaning is just a good excuse to bitch when you can't bear losing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Looker was involved in a Canada-Latvia game in Latvia where I believe the crowd threw stuff on the ice including a shoe.

They caught the culprit as he was only wearing one shoe.

Vakarte

May 30, 2022
Do people even care about international hockey for NHLers anymore? Like even the faces of the league in McDavid, Matthews, Mackinnon, Crosby, etc didn't care that they didn't go to the Olympics in 2022.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Do people even care about international hockey for NHLers anymore? Like even the faces of the league in McDavid, Matthews, Mackinnon, Crosby, etc didn't care that they didn't go to the Olympics in 2022.
There are people outside North America.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Didn't Mackinnon say it sucked in 2018 when they didn't go? why would he feel any different in 2022?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I hope they don't go and just work on getting a proper world cup off the ground, I'm done with the olympics myself, the thrill is gone so to speak. Having the pinnacle of International hockey games being played in China one year and then God knows where else the next just doesn't make sense any longer to me.

Time to move on and I'm glad it looks like they are, depending on what they do next getting out of the olympics is the best move IMO.

A more visionary and fresh new tradition needs to be started for best on best senior hockey.
Problem with world cup is that it has 0 legitimacy in europe. No one will care. Better to just have a Canadian Cup or NA with different regions/states facing each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad