NHL on Fox Commercials (1997-98?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissTeeks

Feb 1, 2005
Calgary, AB
So the other night I was going through some old tapes of the Simpson's I had taped off Fox and came across several of the old NHL on Fox commercials. There was the one with Chelios as a bouncer talking about defence. And I saw the one with Kariya in a diner talking about different types of shots. Does anyone else remember these? Were there any others? I remember there was also one with Mike Ricci, but I can't remember what it was about. Just thought I'd post this for nostalgic reasons!

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If I'm thinking of the right ones, Gretzky and Messier were playing chess and Messier thinks "I bet a knight can beat the **** out of a rook" and turns over the board.

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
Not a fox commercial, but I remember ESPN having some classics, like around 95-96, when Lindros-Renberg-Leclair comprised the Legion of Doom, they discussed coming up with a logo, at which point they flip over some posterboard to display a symbol that represents women I think...really very funny stuff

I think hockey commercials in general are always funny because they as players tend to take themselves less seriously

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Those were great commercials.
The one with Ricci ended with him eating hockey pucks, and then he smiled his toothless grin.

Anyone else think Ricci could be Geddy Lee's younger brother? :biglaugh:

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
My favorite hockey commercial was the ESPN one with Tim Robbins directing a movie about hockey with some of the Rangers.

Mike Richter: "Whoah, whoah, wide open? I thought we were going for a deep-focus, Citizen Kane feel."

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Patrick said:
If Im thinking of the right ones a Flyers goalie tried to rob a bank with a skate during one.

I have that one on tape, it was a Panthers goalie robbing a bank with a skate and it was for Nike. Along with some other ones such as the Habs goalie riding the lawn mower over leaves yelling "Diiiiiiiiiiiiiie Maple Leafs Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie," and the Rangers goalie acting as a baby sitter reading a story about Theo Fleury and goes all crazy with the classic line "Hes 5'6, youre pratically 5'6" to the little kids. God I miss awesome hockey commercials so much.

DarthKoRn

Jul 15, 2005
Pembroke
Are these the same ones with celebreties who explained rules? I remember Shania Twain and Dennis Leary for sure, but I dont think these are the same commercials.

Dartmouth 02

Nov 18, 2003
New York, NY
Visit site
from the unparalleled alexei kovalev:

"how do you tell difference between male penguin and female penguin? you cant!"

as for the fox promos, my favorite was the AMAZING graphic where some guy (i think he was a hawk) got hipchecked and after landing, broke into a million tiny pieces.

high comedy.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
There's also that one with Olaf Kolzig. He's sitting in a fine dining restaurant with a girl. Upon receiving the wine bottle from the waiter, he guzzles it water-bottle styles, making a big mess.

That Kariya commercial, was that also not set in a restaurant. He demonstrates the wrist-shot, by shooting peas with a fork.

Those were some great ads.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
There was also one with a girl locked out of her car out on the parking lot, trying desparately to get the door open. Then Keith Tkachuk skates over out of nowhere and butt-ends the window into little pieces.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My favorite all time Hockey commerical was the one with Barry Melrose and Rob Ray taking over the security guard for ESPN and him beating the crap out of the delivery man.

bigjfnd

Apr 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
There was one a few years ago where a guy is lining up a shot playing pool and this other guy comes from out of nowhere and body checks him, then the caption says something like "what if billiards were more like hockey?"

Forgot all about some of those Nike adds with the goalies, those were great. Wasn't there one where a goalie was a cab driver because he couldn't stop a certain player? or something like that

bigjfnd said:
There was one a few years ago where a guy is lining up a shot playing pool and this other guy comes from out of nowhere and body checks him, then the caption says something like "what if billiards were more like hockey?"

Forgot all about some of those Nike adds with the goalies, those were great. Wasn't there one where a goalie was a cab driver because he couldn't stop a certain player? or something like that

I think he couldn't stop Mats Sundin. The goalie was French-Canadian right?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
bigjfnd said:

Yeah it was Federov. He's skated through about 80 D-men two figure skaters and scored on five goalies before he got ran over by the zamboni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad