NHL is banking on Crosby as its savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
The hype is getting out of hand. I am glad the league is promoting its young talent (well ONE talented young person), but come on...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl;_ylt=AkKlsc2155MxFJ7YmAwHFY05nYcB

NHL is banking on Crosby as its savior

After a season lost in the woods, the NHL turns to a kid – 18-year-old Sidney Crosby – to lead it on the road to recovery.

Five reasons why you should give the NHL another chance.

Reason No. 1: The kid | Reason No. 2: Rookies not named Crosby | Reason No. 3: Kara Yorio's pick | Reason No. 4: Better or worse, in rhyming verse | Reason No. 5: The players want you back

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic Rattlehead*

I'm sick of the Crosby already. He hasn't even played one regular season NHL game yet, and the hype continues to get stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
What the NHL needs is the average sports fan. If they (sports fans) can put a face to a sport they will watch. For example I was an average NBA watcher three years ago but when Lebron was on TV I watched him play. I am guessing you are not from the United States but he isn't getting no hype at all because no cares about hockey. From my point a view there needs to be hype on tv because all the hype I see is on the internet. I will agree with you that the NHL should focus on other stars to. Like Jerome Iligimas (sp) Martin St. Louis and other young stars. If Crosby and Ovechkin lives up to the hype the NHL might have a NBA's 1980's era with Bird vs. Magic then at end of the 80's Jordon. It is starting to shape up like a Bird vs. Magic because Crosby faced Ovechkin in the World Junior Finals correct me if I am wrong wasn't one of the most watched World Junior Finals in history? Magic vs. Bird faced in 1979 NCAA Finals the most watched NCAA Finals in history. The NHL should market that rivraly and when Kessel comes into the league he should be in the rivraly between Crosby and Ovechkin. Kessel will dominant NCAA's like Jordon did. That is what the NHL went wrong before the lockout they marketed teams over players.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
SPORTSMANIAC said:
I will agree with you that the NHL should focus on other stars to. Like Jerome Iligimas (sp)...

I think the NHL should provide some of us with flashcards, first of all.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
SPORTSMANIAC said:
If Crosby and Ovechkin lives up to the hype the NHL might have a NBA's 1980's era with Bird vs. Magic then at end of the 80's Jordon. It is starting to shape up like a Bird vs. Magic because Crosby faced Ovechkin in the World Junior Finals correct me if I am wrong wasn't one of the most watched World Junior Finals in history? Magic vs. Bird faced in 1979 NCAA Finals the most watched NCAA Finals in history. The NHL should market that rivraly and when Kessel comes into the league he should be in the rivraly between Crosby and Ovechkin.
Who's Ovechkin? I don't see his name mentioned anywhere.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I'm seriously tired of TSN and all theur hype around Crosby. He gets a goal and everyone just goes crazy. Meanwhile there are other rookies having a lot more impressive camp starts and we still get to see ONLY Crosby's goal.

• Haha
Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
roshiajin said:
I'm seriously tired of TSN and all theur hype around Crosby. He gets a goal and everyone just goes crazy. Meanwhile there are other rookies having a lot more impressive camp starts and we still get to see ONLY Crosby's goal.

Yeah, that drives you nuts too, eh?

I'm like, Gee, did anyone else play?

Johan Franzen got 2 goals for the Wings the other night, and did the media do a 5 minute game feature gushing over him? NOOOOOO
:dunno:

• Haha

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
octopi said:
Yeah, that drives you nuts too, eh?

I'm like, Gee, did anyone else play?

Johan Franzen got 2 goals for the Wings the other night, and did the media do a 5 minute game feature gushing over him? NOOOOOO
:dunno:

pleaz compare what is comparable. Crosby is simply the next one since more than 2 years. it's normal that medias always follow him during his first NHL footsteps.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
19bruins19 said:
I'm sick of the Crosby already. He hasn't even played one regular season NHL game yet, and the hype continues to get stronger.

Should they bank on Thornton ? A captain who get outscored by opposite team goalie in playoffs ? If anything hype is only a good thing and trying to market the top player from the draft have been seen in many sports .

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
SPORTSMANIAC said:
What the NHL needs is the average sports fan. .

I disagree. This is what messed the game up in the first place. They catered to non-hockey fans (remember the ridiculous glow puck on FOX?) and turned their hard-core fans off. Fighting and hitting have been watered down. There are fewer team rivalries. The overall talent level has dropped. The game has lost a lot of its intensity. Hopefully they get it back this year. It's a great game if they call it the way it's written in the rule books. They don't need marketing schemes.

Steven Seagal

roshiajin said:

absolutely.

Crosby scored one goal. he's had a decent camp but nothing phenomenal.

Then you go and look at his CHL rival Corey Perry, who scored TWO highlight reel goals against vancouver and it was only mentioned briefly on TSN

• Haha

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
iagreewithidiots said:
Most fans got tired of Crosby as soon as they found out their team didnt win the lottery.
:clap:

People wouldn't be complaining if he was on their team.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It would be a mistake to glom onto Crosby. I'm excited to see what he can do, and I think he'll be an elite player in time, but I don't think he'll be the league's top rookie. The Calder race should be exciting as hell this year nonetheless. Crosby, Ovechkin, Bochenski, Brule, Phaneuf, Kondratiev, and Lehtonen will be fun to watch, if not all Calder candidates.

Bottom line, the NHL has tons of marketable stars but has been too incompetent to utilize them. Martin St. Louis, Rick Nash, and Jarome Iginla are just a few.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Steven Seagal said:
absolutely.

Crosby scored one goal. he's had a decent camp but nothing phenomenal.

Then you go and look at his CHL rival Corey Perry, who scored TWO highlight reel goals against vancouver and it was only mentioned briefly on TSN

Posted in another thread, but will repost here as it seems that those who watch these things for a living could not disagree with you more. From the Edmonton paper, not a Pittsburgh one:

Scouts who saw Sid (The Kid) Crosby in junior are even more amazed at how quickly he has made an impression in the camp of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"He is doing things you can't believe," said one scout who saw him the other night. "You don't watch the game, you watch Crosby." ...

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/O...235810-sun.html

SoCalSharkzFan

Jun 24, 2004
The True Man's World
Crosby????

What about Kunitz and his hattrick against my Sharks last night?

Ryan Getzlaf has looked far and away more impressive than Crosby IMO

Can you count on your fingers how many rookies are having better pre-season/camps than Crosby? I think I can if I try.

Christian Ehrhoff had 2 goals and 1 assist last night. Is he the next Bobby Orr :sarcasm:

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Other rooks to watch in preseason and beyond: Vanek has 5 goals, 7 points. Ryan Miller a shutout and 1.00 GAA.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
SoCalSharkzFan said:
Crosby????

What about Kunitz and his hattrick against my Sharks last night?

Ryan Getzlaf has looked far and away more impressive than Crosby IMO

Can you count on your fingers how many rookies are having better pre-season/camps than Crosby? I think I can if I try.

Christian Ehrhoff had 2 goals and 1 assist last night. Is he the next Bobby Orr :sarcasm:
Would you trade Getzlaf and Ehrhoff for Crosby ;)

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Wow, let's have fans from all their teams list rookies who have had good camps because they're all better prospects than Sidney Crosby.

Steven Seagal

Jaded-Fan said:
Posted in another thread, but will repost here as it seems that those who watch these things for a living could not disagree with you more. From the Edmonton paper, not a Pittsburgh one:

Scouts who saw Sid (The Kid) Crosby in junior are even more amazed at how quickly he has made an impression in the camp of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"He is doing things you can't believe," said one scout who saw him the other night. "You don't watch the game, you watch Crosby." ...

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/O...235810-sun.html

The scouts are already biased towards Crosby. The last thing they are gonna do is say "Sure, he's the Next One.....but he still needs work"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca