News Article: NHL investigates claims Flames coach, ex-Red Wings assistant Bill Peters used racial slurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If true, this one is on an entirely different stratosphere then Babs. Babs will be fine, and will land on his feet. This will likely end Peters career.
I would actually even argue that this story will likely take all the attention, and the media will forget about Babs.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
… or any other professional level. His next gig will be in the juniors in a small city somewhere where the entire population is white.

As liberal as Canadians pretend to be, rural Canadians are some of the most racist people I have ever met.
Similar to the USA south...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Similar to the USA south...

Pretty easy to find almost anywhere really. The two most openly racist places I have been aren't Alabama or somewhere else in the deep south, they were in Spain and Italy... It's a problem that exists in pretty much every corner of the earth unfortunately.

GENERAL BOARD WARNING ON THIS TOPIC:

I get that we are going to be on a subject where the political rules of the board are going to be tested. This is a serious issue and one that I don't think can be swept under the rug and would like to have an honest discussion on if it can stay reasonable and have respect among the posters. However, this won't be a thread for quick cheap jokes or anything of that nature and name calling will not be tolerated. Please proceed respectfully guys/gals.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't get how you even "investigate" something like this. Put out an ad that says "hey, does anyone happen to have any recordings of this guy saying racist stuff?" And then sit back and call it a day, right?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't get how you even "investigate" something like this. Put out an ad that says "hey, does anyone happen to have any recordings of this guy saying racist stuff?" And then sit back and call it a day, right?

They already had Rockford teammates publicly corroborate Aliu's account of the events... I am not sure if they just won't do anything on Thanksgiving, but I would be stunned if Peters coaches again. There are also now physical abuse stories from Carolina that have been corroborated by several teammates there.

Peter's issues a statement apologizing, it would seem open and shut that he did that exact part of this story.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I hate these kinds of court of public opinion stories. Why wait 10 fricking years to say anything and then do it on Twitter of all places? And why not directly name the coach rather than bring up Babcock's name? Oh, right. Babcock's in the news cycle right now.

P.S. From reading further into the story, the racism accusation still sounds like a complete wash and an attempt by a washed up player to metoo the crap out of the media coverage. It serves absolutely no other purpose.
On the other hand, the physical abuse stuff is very serious and it begs the question of why was this guy, who clearly has anger management issues, allowed to coach at such a high level and for so long.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hate these kinds of court of public opinion stories. Why wait 10 fricking years to say anything and then do it on Twitter of all places? And why not directly name the coach rather than bring up Babcock's name? Oh, right. Babcock's in the news cycle right now.

P.S. From reading further into the story, the racism accusation still sounds like a complete wash and an attempt by a washed up player to metoo the crap out of the media coverage. It serves absolutely no other purpose.
On the other hand, the physical abuse stuff is very serious and it begs the question of why was this guy, who clearly has anger management issues, allowed to coach at such a high level and for so long.

The racism stuff is deeply troubling and has been confirmed by teammates and pretty much by Peters himself in his own statement. I think we can move on from calling it an accusation at this point, it happened.

Flames coach Bill Peters admits to using a racial slur against a player and apologizes - CNN

Reactions: gbdet and SoupNazi

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
He probably never coaches in the NHL again. And if all of this is true, good riddance.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
The racism stuff is deeply troubling and has been confirmed by teammates and pretty much by Peters himself in his own statement. I think we can move on from calling it an accusation at this point, it happened.
From all accounts, it sounds like an angry coach telling one of his players to stop playing music that drops the n-word all over. Peters says he immediately apologized and that this is not part of his value system. But it literally doesn't matter how racist he is or is not on the inside, if that's the only "racist" thing he's being accused of. Getting a player demoted because of it has already been denied by the Blackhawks. It's more likely Aliu spent more energy on "rebelling" than playing good hockey. Of course, him getting fired is a foregone conclusion at this point. I just want to hear more about the abuse allegations, as that is the real story in my opinion.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Pretty easy to find almost anywhere really. The two most openly racist places I have been aren't Alabama or somewhere else in the deep south, they were in Spain and Italy... It's a problem that exists in pretty much every corner of the earth unfortunately.

GENERAL BOARD WARNING ON THIS TOPIC:

I get that we are going to be on a subject where the political rules of the board are going to be tested. This is a serious issue and one that I don't think can be swept under the rug and would like to have an honest discussion on if it can stay reasonable and have respect among the posters. However, this won't be a thread for quick cheap jokes or anything of that nature and name calling will not be tolerated. Please proceed respectfully guys/gals.
What happened in Italy? I've been there several times and never experienced anything?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What happened in Italy? I've been there several times and never experienced anything?

Not really sure this is for the forum in terms of specific stories, but just so you don't think I am making it up without full context. Let's just say I witnessed multiple hate crimes while in Italy. You have seen some of this with their national team in soccer in terms of the "no black" Italians chant... Well I have seen it extend into random streets of Rome and in Naples as well. Overt racism and religious persecution. But that is dancing on a pretty sensitive subject in terms of site rules, just to say I witnessed things happening outright in public that stunned me and really deeply shook me. I can think of one in particular in Rome that I had to asked translation for and the poor older couple embarrassingly translated for me. Group of four men berating a younger person serving them in that instance. A lot of times in Europe I found it to be more out in the open than what I have experienced in North America.

Just not good, but I think often times when the subject is broached we look at Racism as a unique problem to North America or just in the areas you are familiar with. I have encountered it virtually everywhere I have been. It is troubling no matter where it is happening, but rural NA is not the only place this stuff is happening, not even close...

As for the it is music lyrics. That isn't an acceptable excuse, it wasn't when I got this talk in the mid-80s as a five year old from my dad and Bill Peters should certainly know better.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Yeah the US, Canada, and North-Western Europe are very self-conscious about racism compared to the rest of the world.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
As for the it is music lyrics. That isn't an acceptable excuse, it wasn't when I got this talk in the mid-80s as a five year old from my dad and Bill Peters should certainly know better.
No doubt. Like I said, he sounds like someone with anger management problems. He should've absolutely known better and from what I read he realized it pretty fast and apologized. That on its own shouldn't be enough to ruin his career and possibly his reputation, but it probably will regardless. The other stuff, though ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad