NHL Highlights on YouTube with fake crowd noise?

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Rather than ranting about how bush league this appears, I'll ask if there is anyone on these boards who has a connection with who creates the NHL's highlight packages. It's probably just a YouTube copyright thing, but if that's the case, why does Sportsnet not have to do this?

It can't be a precautionary copyright thing, can it?

The fake sound is extremely random and even plays when no music is running in the background.

It also disappears for some goals but not others.
I have yet to figure out the pattern, I'm totally clueless.
It's not background music related, it's not divided by home and away.

Edit: additionally to Sportsnet not doing it, the NHL on ESPN Youtube channel also doesn't do this.

Reactions: Tom Polakis

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I assume most American fans would prefer to watch their own broadcast, but the Sportsnet YouTube page has highlights and it doesn't do this garbage.
SN highlights are awesome, easy to stay on the loop for series you're not watching.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's not just the highlight videos on YouTube that have it. The ones on NHL.com have it, as well.
Complete crap.
I stick to illegal streams then…that‘s what they want, right?
It's not a part of the broadcasts, just the short highlight videos made after the games are over.
Just checked out the OT goal I missed from the Kings/Oilers game...who in the hell decided this was a good idea? I literally felt no excitement or emotion you would get from hearing the actual crowd react....not that the Oilers crowd would explode but the silence or booing does give a genuine feel compared to this crap.
I just checked the same video and the crowd noise when the Oilers tied the game in the 3rd was the same loudness as when the Kings won it in OT, which is silly. Also, I checked the actual TNT replay of the game, that the highlight video drew from, and could hear the crowd chanting "Let's go Oilers!" as the game-winning play was happening, which was completely drowned out by the fake crowd noise in the highlight video.

Last edited:

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Someone in another thread suggested that it might be due to YouTube’s automated copyright actions on videos where there is music playing in the background (as in, the arena music).

It also might be because the arena was pin-drop quiet after that goal, so they’re injecting a false sense of crowd engagement for the sake of the highlight package.
the first line makes sense, the videos will get demonetized if they have copyrighted audio. youtube catches it before you even finish uploading the video these days

the second line doesn't, the audio is noticeably bad and it's not creating engagement, it's drowning out at the wrong times and poorly done to accomplish that

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah I use dtmts.com which links these videos when I have my own game night, and noticed it first in one of the last Canuck games in the regular season. Having to use it for the first two playoff games as well, I can't quite remember but I feel like it was actually worse at first as it had a more 'hellish' quality to it and I just had to keep muting the volume.

This is a real 'wtf are they doing' thing though. People have mentioned automated copyright on youtube, but I don't know I feel like unlike some random youtuber that Youtube isn't going to let that happen to a large corporation. It feels more like some just arbitrarily decided 'we should have crowd cheering noises continue during goal replays!' which is not only a terrible idea but also has been very badly implemented.

The latter is actually a little understandable, as whoever does these things has to get the completed package out shortly after the game and now they've been given the additional task of 'insert crowd noises' to deal with, which is probably why it's a bit inconsistently used.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
It can't be a precautionary copyright thing, can it?

The fake sound is extremely random and even plays when no music is running in the background.

It also disappears for some goals but not others.
I have yet to figure out the pattern, I'm totally clueless.
It's not background music related, it's not divided by home and away.

Edit: additionally to Sportsnet not doing it, the NHL on ESPN Youtube channel also doesn't do this.
It's not random. I watched all the highlights last night and I was able to predict every single highlight that was going to lead to a goal because the goals all started with this noise. It takes away from the suspense and it is terrible.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Sportsnet highlights are typically better like others have said - they actually show big hits/fights and I've never noticed this nonsense.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's not random. I watched all the highlights last night and I was able to predict every single highlight that was going to lead to a goal because the goals all started with this noise. It takes away from the suspense and it is terrible.
You can already predict it by the way they cut those highlights. The ones leading into a goal have a longer buildup, so if nothing highlight-worthy has happened for a while, you know that a goal is coming.

It's really stupid that they need to spoil it like that and can't even cut the video in a way that avoids spoilers but I guess they've never tried watching hockey highlights before.

Reactions: Kleefeld

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
The intern responsible for this must have been fired.
So far no sign of the highlights fake crowd noise.

What the hell were they thinking?

Reactions: Towers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad