NHL Goalies - Backups Only, Looking for Help

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Nice to see you back!

I actually forgot to post the weak leads that I had. These are something that I don´t want sent anyone on wild goose chase because I have done decent amount of research and currently leaning that none of them were actually backups. But if someone have a memory or easy access to source that I don´t have I decided to post these...

Rich Sirois
April 18, 1982 Recalled during playoffs by St.Louis Blues

Maurice Barrette
Recalled by Canadiens in 9 of October 1977. Few days before season started. Did he backup in early games of the season?

Also he was recalled during the Playoffs that season.

Jason Fitzsimmons
The Hockey News from May 1992
CANUCKS RECALL TWO:

The VANCOUVER CANUCKS have recalled wingers SHAWN ANTOSKI and ROBIN BAWA from Milwaukee of the International Hockey League for the next round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. They earlier announced that goaltender BOB MASON would be recalled but instead opted to retain junior prospect JASON FITZSIMMONS as the back-up to starter KIRK McLEAN.

Now I have actually done decent amount of research from this and it seems that Fitzsimmons was third goalie for the time he spend with Canucks.

David Roche
Was recalled by Oilers in November 1, 1987. They tried to replace Fuhr who suffered wrist injury. But it doesn´t seem that Fuhr actually missed games due to it.

Billy Woodyatt
Recalled by Flyers in 1970 to act emergency standby, but there is so good research made in Flyers backup history so it is not likely that he dressed.

Scott Roche
Recalled by Blues on February 14. and sent back 19. of February 1999. But research made by STLBlueshistory it seems that he was only there to practice with team with slight goalie injury problems.

Wayne Bell
Was recalled during 1972 Playoffs by Rangers

Michel Dufour
Sept. 28, 1983
Filion also said goaltender Michel Dufour had been called up from Fredericton to replace back-up goalie Clint Malarchuk, who has left the team temporarily because of a death in his family.

There was almost week to the start of season

Jim Appleby
No real information, but his name has been dropped. Toronto Maple Leafs somewhere in 80´s

Gilles Banville
Was with Montreal during 1966 playoffs.

Shawn Kilroy
Was recalled by Canucks in December 10. 1986 and assigned to AHL. Was it just reassignment?

Larry Hendrick
Was sent to AHL by Cleveland Barons on January 4. 1978. I think it may have been just reassignment?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
This one might be a reach. There's not a lot of info behind it, but there's a quote that stuck out.

From September 22, 1995
The Blues have had their share of three-man family acts: The Plagers. The Sutters. The "Roofers."
The latter clan qualifies through the side door. Or more precisely, through the stick-room door.
"Roofer" is the nickname of Terry Roof, 50, in his fourth year as equipment manager.
Mark "Little Roofer" Roof is in his second year as Terry's assistant and 29th year as Terry's son.

None of the clan has appeared in a National Hockey League game, although it came close once last season.
Curtis Joseph went out with a leg injury, and Jon Casey, his backup, was run over and shaken up.
Casey, though, carried on. When asked who would have replaced Casey, coach Mike Keenan said, "Mark Roof."

"Racine Has Keenan's Promise of a Legitimate Shot in Goal" by Tom Wheatley Of the Post-Dispatch - St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO), September 22, 1995 | Online Research Library: Questia

I don't know if this was an EBUG case where he was on standby or if he actually dressed for a game.

Reactions: Troy Treasure

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Finally finished a stack of updates from a backlog of research I had to add to NHL Backups. Along with some new goalies, I've added more games, information and stories to existing bios along with some new photos. Big thanks to the many people in the hobby who have helped with this research, especially you guys here on this forum. I've also had the pleasure of speaking with a few of these goalies recently. Its rewarding to hear that they appreciate being recognized.

Before I forget, Sanf, I had some time to research all of the above that were unlikely but we had brief mentions. I was able to mark off a number of them as definitely not. Sirois was third goalie only. Barrette was recalled because of an injury to Ken Dryden, but Dryden played so Barrette was unneeded. Fitzsimmons was only practice goalie, I had written him a letter for another project I was working on. Hendrick was indeed for reassignment purposes only. Nothing else leading me to believe any of the others are likely candidates.

New confirmed NHL backups only:

Glen Seperich 2 NHL games 1972/73 Detroit Red Wings
Jim Grant 1 NHL game 1979/80 Edmonton Oilers
Jim Campbell 1 NHL game 1982/83 Edmonton Oilers
Georges Gagnon 3 NHL games 1981/82 Detroit Red Wings
Blaine Peterson 7 NHL games 1976/77 Vancouver Canucks (found a number of articles about this story, which is a very interesting case considering his pro career was limited to one game. The Canucks decided to take him along on a road trip and he was with the club much longer than originally anticipated).
Jim Park 3 NHL games 1980/81 New York Islanders
Larry Thayer 1 NHL game 1979/80 Minnesota North Stars
Richard Guay 1 NHL game 1979/80 Chicago Blackhawks
Chuck Goddard 2 NHL games 1967/68 Minnesota North Stars
Bob Vroman - 8 NHL games 1973/74 LA Kings (This was long suspected but I finally found some confirmation)

Andre LePage 1 NHL game. LePage confirmed himself that he dressed in a game against Detroit because Smith's father had passed away, but he forgot the exact date. Some research indicated that Smith's father passed away in '76, which got me to the game confirmed. What makes this especially interesting is that I collect NHL autographs and I recently purchased some autographs that were obtained by a Red Wings fan in Detroit during the '76/77 season. One sheet was signed by a few of the visiting New York Islanders and it included none other than LePage. I was blown away by the coincidence because this was after LePage had told be his only game was in Detroit. A very cool and unusual confirmation.

Ron Marlow at least 1 NHL game 1973/74 NY Islanders. This one gave me a headache because I had a ton of articles but the dates didn't match up until I had it all laid out.
Oct. 16 (as reported in Oct. 17th newspaper) he recalled due to Desjardins injury and was on Islanders bench.
Oct. 18th Marlow played for Fort Worth who were desperate for a goalie since Glenn Resch had briefly left the team for personal reasons. Marlow was promptly sent back to the Islanders, who still needed a backup with Desjardins yet to recover.
Oct. 20th article "The Wings (Fort Worth) announced late Friday that Marlow was again joining the New York Islanders for the weekend to replace the injured Gerry Desjardins. Marlow's role will be in reserve behind Billy Smith."
Oct. 22nd article notes that Marlow is still up with the Islanders.

A few other updates I recall...
Jim Baxter I found new info to confirm at least 4 NHL games with Red Wings, originally had just 1 game confirmed
I've added a few new "He dressed for THAT team?" goalies, one of the more interesting is Reggie Lemelin, who started the 1975/76 NHL season as Philadelphia's backup goalie. So he was in the NHL Oct. '75 and then three seasons later, he got his NHL debut with Atlanta and went on to have a solid career.

Found a lot more information on Colin McCormick. Here's the story...
Colin McCormick played in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League with the 1958/59 Prince Albert Mintos. From there, he spent time playing senior hockey with the Kelowna Packers and later in Powell River, British Columbia. McCormick was married with two kids, working as a welder, when a chance encounter with Eddie Shack at a summer hockey game in Kelowna paved the way for an incredible run to the NHL. So impressed with McComick's play, Shack phoned Bruins GM Milt Schmidt and the nearly 29 year old goalie found himself with an NHL contract. McCormick hadn't given much thought to playing professional hockey, in fact McCormick even had another interest outside of his day job. He had been the recipient of a Norman Rockwell scholarship for commercial art and had already designed Powell River's official coat of arms. However, the hockey contract and signing bonus was much than he was making as a welder so he happily agree to the offer. He had a strong camp for the Bruins and quickly rose all they way to #3 goalie in their system.
Late October, 1968 McCormick was recalled from the Hershey Bears when Bruins goalie Ed Johnston was struck on the head by a shot. Johnston missed over a month with a concussion and McCormick took his place on Boston's roster for most of that time. "It's still a dream," said McCormick in a November, 1968 interview with the Vancouver Sun. "I still find it tough to believe I'm here. I'm working hard. The fellows on the team are really helping me, especially Eddie Shack. If I do get in the nets of of these nights...well, I'll do the best I can." Gerry Cheevers played solid hockey and McCormick was never given an opportunity to showcase his ability at the NHL level.
"The biggest change of all has been in my attitude to the game," said McCormick. "Sure, we liked to win at Powell River, but we never took it too seriously. Up here it's very serious."
Colin McCormick only played one year of pro hockey. The mysterious goalie retired from pro hockey after his only season with the Boston Bruins.

And finally, I actually have on to remove: Ray Reeson.
I originally had a Globe and Mail article noting that Reeson was recalled to sub for an injured Maple Leaf goalie Gerry McNamara. Bruce Gamble played, but now its unclear if McNamara dressed anyway or the Leafs got another emergency backup. Regardless, Reeson wasn't the guy. Here's the article that contradicted my previous research, but is more official....
"Reeson Almost a Maple Leafs" (Feb. 16 1970)
Tulsa goalie Ray Reeson almost became a Toronto Maple Leaf over the weekend. But he wound up with nothing more than a long plane ride while the rest of the Oiler squad was traveling by bus Saturday from Omaha where they played Friday night, to Waterloo.
Reeson was called up by the Maple Leafs after Friday's game and boarded a plan to start for Toronto.
When he reached Chicago where he was to change plans, there was a phone call waiting..."Forget it," the call said, in essence, "Catch the next plane back to Waterloo."
So he was in the goal here again Sunday as the Oilers, like Waterloo, had only one goaltender in uniform. Serge Aubry, the Oilers other goalie, was here but did not dress because of an injury.

Next Up:
Currently working on sorting out all the WHA 'backups only' goalies.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Nice work!

Nice to get Sirois out of the list. I had nothing from him besides that he was recalled.

I have seen Gagnon several times in my researh, but for some reason I had the idea that he actually played in NHL and never checked it.

I once was sure that Dave Meszaros was a Flames backup in one game. Deeper research revealed that he never made it at time and Lemelin had to backup with minor injury. Actually there are quite a lot of cases where injured goalie was backup. Ray Reeseon took part to the Phoenix Roadrunners camp, but I don´t think he ever got a contract there. But I am pretty sure that Roger Swanson was Roadrunners backup for period of time. I believe I have posted here most of my WHA backup only leads or proofs.

I´m not sure if I have mentioned, but Jukka Airaksinen was Finland´s (Team Sisu) goalie on their lone WHA filler game. It got counted in WHA records. As side note Jorma Virtanen who actually played has the WHA record for most shots against in one game and period (69 and 33). Never found if he has the save record too. Virtanen never was regular in Finnish NT, but later went to play at Norway and represented them in two lower pool world championships.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Few of my favourite WHA backups only (don´t have my sources now)

Guy DeNoncourt
Jersey Knights 1973-1974
Knights only existed for 52 games and one source said that he was backup in atleast 11 of them.

Garth Malarchuk
Calgary Cowboys 1976-1977
Brother of Clint. Decent prospect himself few years prior. Was emergency call up when Don McLeod got ill. Only for one game. Was already retired and resident of Calgary. After that they recalled Ed Mio who backed up X amount of games. Mio doesn´t belong to this list because he played for other teams in WHA. But never for Cowboys.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Have you been or planning to be in contact to Richard Guay Sadly I haven´t found my sources, but I have in my notes that during 74-75 Nordiques season Richard Brodeur got injured and hospitalized. It wasn´t that bad. But on next day one source mentions that Guay is "scheduled to be in Quebec tomorrow". He was playing in Maine Nordiques which (obviously) was affiliate of Quebec. Aubry started the next game, but I don´t have info who was the backup. Brodeur already started next day.

It just might be worth asking because he could be goalie who has been backup in both leagues.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Decided to try my luck and search some leads, but this is becoming very hard.

Nov. 1, 1987
Grant Fuhr had injury in a game.

UPI

But actually Fuhr did not miss any games so I don´t know if Roche was send back or did he stay with Oilers.
Not David Roche, but Dave Roach, and he was definitely on the bench for two games in the 1986-87 season:
Dave Roach Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Edmonton Journal, March 13, 1987: "Oiler goalie prospect gets NHL crash course"
Edmonton Journal, March 17, 1987: "Moog carries workload while waiting for Fuhr"
Roch, called up on an emergency basis from Michigan Tech, went back to school Monday and junior Darren Beals has been re-summoned from Kitchener to fill out the goaltending roster against the New Jersey Devils tonight.

Fuhr was not dressed for 10 games that season, here were Moog's backups:
Game 46: Darren Beals
Games 47 to 51: Daryl Reaugh
Game 67: Beals
Games 68 and 69: Dave Roach
Game 70: Beals

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanf

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I have a new goalie to add to the mix by the name of Darren Beals. He had a short pro career but may have been briefly recalled to the Edmonton Oilers. It would also make Beals one of only a dozen black goalies to appear in the NHL.

From Jan. 20, 1987 Toronto Star.
"Meanwhile, Edmonton Oilers called up goalie Darrin Beals of the Kitchener Rangers to fill in for Grant Fuhr, who was injured in a collision involving Leafs' Mirko Frycer in Saturday's 7-4 Oilers win."

But I can't find anything else from the period to back it up.

I did find an article from 2013 talking about NHL players from Beals' area. He's mentioned: “Darren Beals, I think dressed for a few games.”

Edit: Found another article that seems to prove Beals appeared in the NHL.
Jan. 20, 1987 Globe and Mail.
X-rays done on Oiler goalie Grant Fuhr in Edmonton showed no serious injuries as the result of a collision with a goalpost in Toronto on Saturday night. He will rejoin the club Friday. . . . Darren Beals, called up as temporary Oiler backup man, has returned to the junior Kitchener Rangers, who have no second goalie available. . . . Lanky goalie Daryl Reaugh has been called up from the Nova Scotia Oilers for Edmonton's Wednesday night game in Winnipeg. . . .

The Timeline:
Sat. Jan. 17 - Oilers vs Maple Leafs. Fuhr starts game but is replaced by Moog after he gets injured.
Sun. Jan. 18 - Oilers vs Sabres. Moog plays game and Darren Beals serves as his backup.
Wed. Jan 21 - Oilers vs Jets. Moog plays game and Darryl Reaugh serves as his backup.

Fuhr was injured again later in the season and missed 4 games. Beals was the backup on March 11 and March 17.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Not David Roche, but Dave Roach, and he was definitely on the bench for two games in the 1986-87 season:
Dave Roach Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Edmonton Journal, March 13, 1987: "Oiler goalie prospect gets NHL crash course"
Edmonton Journal, March 17, 1987: "Moog carries workload while waiting for Fuhr"

Fuhr was not dressed for 10 games that season, here were Moog's backups:
Game 46: Darren Beals
Games 47 to 51: Daryl Reaugh
Game 67: Beals
Games 68 and 69: Dave Roach
Game 70: Beals

Thats great work. You use Edmonton Journal or do you have some other sources?

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I got irrationally excited about this box score:

Untitled.jpg

Since I couldn't figure out who Philadelphia's Wilson would be (and it's not listed on the NHLBackups site). Alas, Gary Inness also wore #30 for the Flyers, and I found mention of him "watching from the bench" in the game against his recently-former club. I'm concluding that this is a typo.

Documenting it here in case I get similarly excited about it when I see it again in 3-5 years' time.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Yeah I remember that too. I was thinking was it possible that Dunc Wilson was "house goalie" for both teams that night (and admit I got bit excited too :) ) , but remember finding similar proof of it being most likely Inness.

Reactions: Doctor No

JKM

Jul 23, 2009
Billy Woodyatt
Recalled by Flyers in 1970 to act emergency standby, but there is so good research made in Flyers backup history so it is not likely that he dressed.

I don’t know what sources Hockey50Yearsago used, but I wanted to share this:

Reactions: Doctor No and Sanf

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I don’t know what sources Hockey50Yearsago used, but I wanted to share this:

Nice... with that I also found a nice source for that. There are few teams like Flyers and Sabres where there is extensive research made, but obviously it can have some slipups. Without lyiug have tried over 10 years to find good source for this.

Reactions: Doctor No and JKM

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
One more for Oilers early NHL years it seems. 80-81. Ed Mio broke his finger earlier that day in practice. Oilers had Gord Garbutt who was in the system as emergency callup for one game.

Edmonton Journal 19. Mar 1981
Sather isn´t optimistic about Mio´s chances of quick recovery. Low broke his thumb the first time in Washington a week before Christmas and came back too soon. The Veteran goalie shattered it in the same place during a workout with Oilers farm team in Wichita.

The Oiler coach spent much of Wednesday on the phone trying to line up an emergency backup for Edwards. He found one in Gord Garbutt from Oilers International Hockey League affiliate in Milwaukee. Sather indicated Andy Moog from Wichita will likely be Edwards backup for the remaining nine games. Garbutt would then go the Central Hockey Leagues Wichita Wind to take Moog´s place.

Manitown Herald-Times 20. Mar 1981
Baretta, Who was cut last week, will replace Gord Garbutt who was called up by the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League of the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League earlier this week and then reassigned after one game to that team´s Wichita farm club in the Central Hockey League.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Another which I have been long suspecting because he was rather highly touted early in his career and later had career in WHA. Bruce Landon with Kings. Strong lead oat this point.

Gerry Desjardins had injury in 18. of January 1970. He tried comeback 25. of Jan. I do not know if he was used backup in some (even all) games. But one article mentions this.

Daily News 29. Jan 1970
TO MAKE THINGS even worse for the Angelinos, their first string goalie, Gerry Desjardins, was out tonight´s game with muscle pull around his knee that he aggrevated in the Ranger game. Taking his place was to be Wayne Rutledge, who was the starter for the Kings last season. Backing up Rutledge is 21-year old Bruce Landon.

Couple of artickles talking about Desjardins injury.

The Pittsburgh Press 24. Jan 1970
Wayne Rutledge is expected to start in goal while Gerry Desjardins, who played almost the entire first half of the season, is recovering from strained knee ligaments.

The Pittsburgh Press 7. Feb 1970

Wayne Rutledge probably will start in the net for Los Angeles while Gerry Desjardins rests an injured knee.

Now Bruce Landon actually played with Springfield Kings in 31. of Jan and 27 of Jan. Still from logistic standpoint it is very much possible that Landon was used as backup in game that was played in New York.

And then there was Claude Hardy who was Kings backup goalie for atleast 22 games early at the season. After that Hardy had been Springfield Kings third goalie and apparently in coaches doghouse. He was loaned to Rochester Americans at 4. of Feb. It does not seem that he was used as Kings backup at this point, but still the reassignment in the middle of Desjardins injury seems bit odd.

Democrat and Chronicle 5. Feb 1970
The 27-year-old Hardy spent the early part of the season with Los Angeles of the National League as back-up man for Gerry Desjardins, but didn´t get into a game. Since being back with Springfield Claude hasn´t even been in uniform for a game. So his first minute of play for Rochester will be his first minute of the season.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
1988/89
Mike Jeffrey
John Reid

On February 4th, 1989, Guy Lafleur made his return to Montreal while playing for the New York Rangers.

The Canadiens scored seven goals that night (one into an empty net) but Bob Froese was in net for all six. The Rangers other goaltender, John Vanbiesbrouck didn't dress that game.

In this video, at :42 second mark, you see Lafleur skate by the back up, who is wearing #37. The only #37 on the Rangers that year was Norm MacIver, who got traded to the Whalers on boxing day.

On the Rangers farm club down in Denver, they had three goalies, Mike Richter, Ron Scott and Scott Brower, but when you see his name plate when Lafleur skates past him, it clearly isn't any of those guys. It is definitely a six letter name, and it looks like it ends it ATE.

Any clue who this is?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor No and Sanf

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
On February 4th, 1989, Guy Lafleur made his return to Montreal while playing for the New York Rangers.

The Canadiens scored seven goals that night (one into an empty net) but Bob Froese was in net for all six. The Rangers other goaltender, John Vanbiesbrouck didn't dress that game.

In this video, at :42 second mark, you see Lafleur skate by the back up, who is wearing #37. The only #37 on the Rangers that year was Norm MacIver, who got traded to the Whalers on boxing day.

On the Rangers farm club down in Denver, they had three goalies, Mike Richter, Ron Scott and Scott Brower, but when you see his name plate when Lafleur skates past him, it clearly isn't any of those guys. It is definitely a six letter name, and it looks like it ends it ATE.

Any clue who this is?

That was Mike Rosati (well most likely atleast). Was emergency call up from juniors. He much later played one game for Capitals so he got his name to official record books.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
That was Mike Rosati (well most likely atleast). Was emergency call up from juniors. He much later played one game for Capitals so he got his name to official record books.

Mystery solved, thanks.

It's wild that he was on the ice for this game in 1989 and then would wait nearly a decade to actually play in the league.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Mystery solved, thanks.

It's wild that he was on the ice for this game in 1989 and then would wait nearly a decade to actually play in the league.

Yeah I once wondered if he has the record of most time between dressing as backup and getting an NHL game.

Actually I quite liked Rosati. Was very good when those Canadian-Italian teams got decent success from Hockey World Championships in 90´s.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Another one for WHA.

Al Smith was in and out from Whalers lineup during the end of the last WHA season. Tom O´Toole was backup goalie in atleast few games at the end of the season and atleast one game during New England Whalers last playoff series against Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad